Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Self-dimming rear view mirrors availability

I was looking into the retrofit but according to the few dealers I asked, the dimming mirror kit 000 004 801 46 is no longer available. The mirror itself 996 731 982 00 01C has also been discontinued according to Jeff at Sunset.

Peter

• Moderators

Bob in the parts dept. at Stevens Creek also checked and came back with the same info, both not available.

The kit is the mirror, wiring harness, and ordinary tie-wraps. There is a dealer in NJ that according to the parts computer has the mirror itself in inventory. There are no harnesses in the US, but there are 40 in Germany. The harness part number 996 612 986 00 has been superseded to 996 612 984 00.

• Admin
Bob in the parts dept. at Stevens Creek also checked and came back with the same info, both not available.

The kit is the mirror, wiring harness, and ordinary tie-wraps. There is a dealer in NJ that according to the parts computer has the mirror itself in inventory. There are no harnesses in the US, but there are 40 in Germany. The harness part number 996 612 986 00 has been superseded to 996 612 984 00.

Interesting... so if you are in an accident and damage one you can not get a replacement?

• Moderators

I said the same thing to the parts guy. Also if you have the outside dimming mirror that won't work because the sensor is in the interior mirror.

But I will not be suprised if Porsche comes out with something sooner or later. Porsche has discontinued other things, like the original real speaker kit, just to later come out with a new version with the extension wiring harness needed for 2003-2004.

I said the same thing to the parts guy. Also if you have the outside dimming mirror that won't work because the sensor is in the interior mirror.

But I will not be suprised if Porsche comes out with something sooner or later. Porsche has discontinued other things, like the original real speaker kit, just to later come out with a new version with the extension wiring harness needed for 2003-2004.

I am sure hope that is the case. The 986/996 is not "that" old and seeing parts discontinued worries me.

The mirror is the same as the Audi self-dimming mirrors. The wiring harness is available as a separate part for about $15.

When I installed the self dimming mirror in my 996, it came from a wrecked Audi A6.

Orient Express,

Do you have the VW/AUDI part number or the model year of the Audi A6?

Thanks!

Peter

• Moderators
The mirror is the same as the Audi self-dimming mirrors. The wiring harness is available as a separate part for about $15.

When I installed the self dimming mirror in my 996, it came from a wrecked Audi A6.

Orient Express,

Thanks!

Peter

I used a mirror from an 02 A6. There are ones with and without a compass. The wiring harness is a Porsche part.

Orient Express,

Thanks!

Peter

I used a mirror from an 02 A6. There are ones with and without a compass. The wiring harness is a Porsche part.

Thanks!

Peter

I did some research.

Starting MY02, the A6 has dimming mirror with compass

Part # 4Z7 857 511B 01C ($450)

MY01 has a different part # 4B0 857 511C 01C ($250).

I assume this is the one without the compass.

Peter

Jeff at Sunset is nice enough to take some pictures of the Audi 4B0 857 511C 01C mirror. I have never seen the actual Porsche dimming mirror, so I asking you experts here to take a look.

Thanks!

Peter

post-21183-1218077930_thumb.jpgpost-21183-1218077940_thumb.jpgpost-21183-1218077950_thumb.jpgpost-21183-1218077958_thumb.jpgpost-21183-1218077968_thumb.jpg

5 Years ago Henry put in the mirror kit in his 2000. One of the projects filmed for the DVDs. This is a picture of the kit.

Hummm… where the cable goes up to the headliner looks different between the PAG and Audi. I noticed that on the DVD but it is quite clear on the picture. I supposed that the Audi mirror is pin to pin compatible but with a different “tail” to fit the A6 roof/windshield. Does the Audi round mounting hole look like it would be a direct fit?

Thanks!

Peter

These are available in the aftermarket from one of the same companies that supplies the auto industry. Maybe not exactly the PAG or Audi mirrors being discussed, but worth a look in my opinion. See http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/nightvisions...mingmirrors.htm

--Brian

Brian,

Thanks for the link but they don't offer an adpter bracket for Porsche.

Peter

Kudos to Tool Pants and Jeff at Sunset, the Porsche mirror is coming from NJ!

The Audi mirror does not come with covers for the wires as shown on Jeff’s picture. I’ve found the part numbers listed below from VW/Audi ETKA:

4B085759301C Cover

4B0857511C01C Dimming Mirror

8E08575934PK Cover

Peter

• Moderators

When I found out there is only one mirror left in the world I should have bought it and sold it on ebay.....

I learned a long time ago that if you want a part that has been discontinued, you have parts guy check the computer to see if another dealership has one sitting on the shelf. Bob in parts at Stevens Creek told me there was one in Edison. Edison is in NJ where Ray Catena Porsche is. But you have to verify that it is actually on the shelf.

The infamous Porsche dimming mirror is in. On it, for future reference, there is an Audi part number of 4D0 857 511 D (01C?)

post-21183-1219265274_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for the helps and suggestions. :renntech:

Peter

• 1 year later...
Kudos to Tool Pants and Jeff at Sunset, the Porsche mirror is coming from NJ!

The Audi mirror does not come with covers for the wires as shown on Jeff’s picture. I’ve found the part numbers listed below from VW/Audi ETKA:

4B085759301C Cover

4B0857511C01C Dimming Mirror

8E08575934PK Cover

Peter

There is a mistake in the part # posted ^^, I purchased the above mirror and harness, also cover 4B085759301C which seems to be front cover,

but 8E08575934PK is for some other mirror cause it looks bigger and is for front also.

Can someone please post the right part # for the back cover.

thanks

What's everyone's opinion on the auto-dimming mirrors? I have one in my BMW and absolutely hate it. It dims too dark and at the wrong times. If I get a car coming up quick on my behind at night, it dims and I can't see anything else behind me. I know the solution is to stomp on the gas so this doesn't happen :P but I actually would prefer a manual switch.