Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Spoiler Warning Light Stays On

Hi All,

Just today my 1999 996 C4's rear spoiler warning light came on when I was driving on the freeway.

After I got home, I manually raised and retracted the spoiler fine.

I drove the car around without going on the freeway and the light continues to stay on.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks,

Kevin

Open the rear lid and look for a connector that takes the wires from the right rear fender to the rear lid. Inspect the connector looking for corrosion or damaged wires.

Thanks Loren,

I opened the rear lid and checked the wires. Turns out the connectors were loose and I just pressed the two connectors together firmly and then went on the freeway and that fixed it!

Ok,

That worked for a week. The light is back on.

I checked the fuse, and checked if the two plastic connectors are loose, they're not.

I tried the manual up/down button, that no longer worked, it did when this first started happening.

The wires all look fine.

I'm wondering if the connection to the spoiler itself under the black piece of metal on the underside of the lid is loose. Any idea how I can take it off? Or should I just take it to a shop?

Any other ideas?

-Kevin

Edited by kevinkw

I still think you have corrosion in that connector.

I ended up opening up the connector, the plastic is highlighter green and the leads were clean and silver. I snapped the connector back up, lo and behold, the spoiler was able to be manually opened and closed.

The wires leading out of both connectors were also clean and firmly attached.

We'll see if I come back and post again in a week.

Hello,

I have just encountered the same problem. Red warning light went on. At home I tried to operate the spoiler manually. No luck! I checked the fuse and its fine. I also checked the connector. Seems to be fine. I know that somewhere in the lid there are 2 (?) microswitches. Could they be at fault? I would also like to check the wires going to the motor operating the spoiler. I can't get the black lid off. There are just three tiny bolts left, holding the spoiler motor. How do I do this? Anything else that could be causing this problem?

Jo996

the Netherlands

• Admin
Hello,

I have just encountered the same problem. Red warning light went on. At home I tried to operate the spoiler manually. No luck! I checked the fuse and its fine. I also checked the connector. Seems to be fine. I know that somewhere in the lid there are 2 (?) microswitches. Could they be at fault? I would also like to check the wires going to the motor operating the spoiler. I can't get the black lid off. There are just three tiny bolts left, holding the spoiler motor. How do I do this? Anything else that could be causing this problem?

Jo996

the Netherlands

You don't have the exact same problem - kevinkw's manual switch works fine.

If the manual operation does not work then either there is a connection problem (fuse, wires, connector corrosion) or the spoiler is jammed and binding or in a rare case the motor is bad.

Hello Loren,

Thank you for your answer. I tried the connector and it seems fine. I used some contactspray to make sure the contacts are OK. I checked the fuse (D8). I take it there is only one fuse for the spoiler motor. I have never had any problems with my spolier before. Never heard any strange noises. I hope the motor is still OK. The next step (before going to my Porsche dealer) is to check the wires. In order to do this I have to remove a black lid (I hope you know what I'm talking about). The spoiler motor is attached to this part. Can you tell me how to remove this lid?

Regards,

J. Lemmen

the Netherlands