Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Third radiator with Aerokit

I have an 01 966 C2. I'm adding the cup aerokit. Loren's howto shows removing a plug for the opening in front of the third radiator. For the aerokit bumper cover, rather than a plug, it appears to be a molded in closure for the center where the plug is. Does that just get cut out?

• Admin

Are you talking about the aerokit bumper (996 505 980 00 G2X)? If so.... If you look closely at my pics the inside of the plug had some black silicone like sealer. I cut the edge of this enough to peel it back and strip it out. Then the plug just pops out.

If you have a standard bumper you need to buy a whole new inside insert.

Loren,

Thanks. I don't know the part number for the front bumper alone, I bought the P000-044-801-02 Cup Aerokit. It looked like the recess was molded in, but I didn't look really close as the part was still in the box. It might be a plug.

Loren, I went down and looked at the new bumper. I still don't know the part number. But I did look closer and it definately looks like the recess is molded in. Is there any reason I can't just cut out the blockage in the recess?

hey patrick. If Loren says that it is a plug then it can definitely be removed without cutting. I was in the same situation as you a few weeks ago. I took the bumper to the bodyshop to have the plug removed with all the info I recieved about how to remove the piece. It looks very difficult to pull out though and I didnt want to waste the body shop guys time since he was doing it free of charge. Anyways he cut it with a blade and it came out very good. He cut less than necessary so if I wanted to ever take the time to figure out how to pull the plug I still could. Basically, If you pull it out it will definitely be a better choice, but I dont see any harm in cutting it and sanding the edges for a smooth finish.

There is definitely not a plug, nor is there an insert to replace. The bumper cover is one piece. I'm just going to cut out the back of the recess for the third radiator and I'll let you know what I learn. Post some "after" pictures, maybe.

Loren, If you want the pictures of this part to update your howto, let me know.

Pat

post-2-1059051058.jpg

Patrick,

If you cut on the line inside the bumper cover, I think that would be best. The black rubber piece in your radiator kit fits up and around the bumper opening. You plug does look like mine  -- just without the tabs.

Loren, Do you mean the dashed line we drew on the front view or the raised line all around the recess about an inch from the back of the recess on the rear view?

post-2-1059060075.jpg

• Admin

Hmm...

The part number Patrick said he got is: 996 505 983 01

The part number shown in my (-MY02) parts list is: 996 505 980 02 G2X and installation TSB is: 996 505 980 00 G2X. The parts list is newer so I would believe it.

The part number for MY02 and newer Aerokit II front bumper is: 996 505 983 02 G2X

Hmm... I wonder if Patrick has the right bumper? MY02 bumpers will not work on MY01 and earlier cars.

Did I mention my car is an '01? And the part number I got right off the part (you can read it in the larger version of the photo). It has the headlight notches shaped for 01. (The kit was P/N P000-044-801-02)

• Admin

Patrick,

Yes. That's why I am concerned that you might not have the right bumper. The headlight openings and fender opening are different on the later cars. Can you verify with the company you bought from that you got the right bumper?

Loren,

Sorry for the edit.

The headlight notches are shaped like mine, not teardrop like turbos and MY02 and later. Also, suncoast shows the kit number P000-044-801-02 installed on MY01 or earlier cars. I'm pretty sure it's the right kit.

Pat

• Moderators

I installed the factory Aero Kit (original GT3 Like) on my '99 C4. The front bumper cover that I got looked just like yours in the pix above. The center recess was not open and was all of the same piece of PU-RIM as the rest of the bumper. The thing did not have an obviously removable plug. At the time I consulted with Loren and had the same confusion because his kit apparently did have a removable plug. My kit did include the oval insertable black trim(?) ring to put on the edge of the center opening......if it were open. So I concluded that, for the center rad, you had to cut the thing out. I didn't have the center rad, so it was moot for me.

Guest Guest

Patrick does have the right bumper. I just figured since the part number was different that maybe porsche produced some variant of the bumper exclusively for the manual non-GT3's which did not need to have a opening there. I guess I was wondering if Loren can tell by looking at Patricks pic of the inside of the bumper that the plug can be removed and the edges are coated with the silicone as in his car.

• 2 weeks later...

The body shop did a good job of cutting the bumper where Loren suggested. The fit looks good. The nose and rear decklid are on, I have yet to have the sideskirts installed. It would be interesting to have a copy of the tech bulletin that covers this. When the job is complete, I'll post pics.

Patrick