Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

BOTH radiator fans don't work on low speed.

Hello,

It seems that neither of my radiator fans will operate at low speed, even when the temperature climbs up to 180. They DO activate though at HIGH speed when I am using the AC (they cycle on and off at this point) or when the engine temp gets above 180.

I've swapped the relays between the high and low positions, with no effect.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this issue?

My Boxster is a US 2002 with 45k.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello,

It seems that neither of my radiator fans will operate at low speed, even when the temperature climbs up to 180. They DO activate though at HIGH speed when I am using the AC (they cycle on and off at this point) or when the engine temp gets above 180.

I've swapped the relays between the high and low positions, with no effect.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this issue?

My Boxster is a US 2002 with 45k.

Thanks,

Kevin

I does sound normal in one sense but after a daily drive in Miami I would think you would here the one coming on. If you temp does not change (when up to temp) or go over 185-190F then you don't have an issue and it may very well be coming on w/o you noticing.

In Miami w/o the fan on your would soon be running very hot.

If you don't have the Durametric software buy it. It will tell you your running temp and I believe the new version tell you if the fans are firing up.

Does anyone know at what temperature the fans should activate for the low speed setting?

My Bentley manual says the following:

Low speed operation with coolant temperature above 96.75 Celsius (206.2F) or A/C switched ON.

Now here's the ignorant question.. Is the gauge in the US market cars in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

btw, I did check the fuses and all is good.

Fahrenheit

post-23680-1219014406_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know at what temperature the fans should activate for the low speed setting?

My Bentley manual says the following:

Low speed operation with coolant temperature above 96.75 Celsius (206.2F) or A/C switched ON.

Now here's the ignorant question.. Is the gauge in the US market cars in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

btw, I did check the fuses and all is good.

Chances are both of your fan resistors are toast. If the fans are working on any speed, the fuses are good. If you've swapped the high and low speed relays, then the relays are fine. The only thing left in the equation is the resistors. The good news is you can buy them seperately from the entire fan and they're easy to change.