Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

oem rear speaker kit vs. Harvey kit

I was getting ready to order an OEM rear speaker kit for my 02 Boxster S - pna-986-kit-sp for $129. I just saw some info on another kit from harvey for $220... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Box...id=p3911.c0.m14

item#220268094858 on ebay.

I have been reading the previous posts on both but haven't found anything really comparing the two and if the extra $90 is worth it for the harvey kit. I saw pictures of the speakers and they look better with bigger magnets. I wonder if you really notice the differnce between the kits since it's behind the seat head rest anyway.

Would love to get input from someone who's heard both of them.

thanks much,

Ryan

02 Boxster S 6spd

Palm Springs, CA area

I've heard them both and own Harvey's kit. Bought Harvey's kit b/c at the time, he was $50-75 less expensive than the OEM and his has room to be upgraded (PNP uses 3.5" speakers which is a common size whereas OEM uses 3" IIRC). The sound: yes his sounds a bit better but in reality they are just surround speakers in the car and help pull the stage back from just behind the windshield to where your ears are in the car.

What matters most is how you'll power them and if you plan on doing any further upgrades to the system.....

If you plan on powering them off the head unit (at 18W) then either kit will work just as well as the other.

If you have a 6x40 amp (std eq on '03+ or plan to add a 2ch amp to power them) or plan on doing further upgrades down the road, then you'll most likely want Harvey's due to it's expansion capabilities. Otherwise you'll have a heck of a time cutting the steel speaker frame in the OEM to fit larger drivers.

Again, their main purpose is to pull the sound stage in the car back to where your ears are which really doesn't take a lot of power or clarity. So, at $130, I'd go w/ the OEM kit and then dump the difference into a good pair of new dash speakers and toss a few more $ into a decent pair of door speakers.

Good luck w/ your decision and check the sticky in the DIY for sound system upgrades. Andy M did a great layman's term how to which covers pretty much everything you want to know. :)

I have the PNP kit. I read posts on several forums and most people seemed to think the PNP kit was better. Unfortunately I could not find two local folks to do a side-by-side comparison of both kits so I can't say which sounds better based on experience. At the time, Harvey's kit was less expensive and since he worked near me, I could pick it up and save shipping costs.

I later upgraded from a four channel to a six channel amp and Harvey provided me the extra wiring harness at no extra charge - even though I had bought his kit more than a year ago. So, based on service after the sale I would say that Harvey has an advantage.

Here's an article on installing the speaker kit: http://www.pelicanparts.com//techarticles/...ar_speakers.htm

Edited by KevinH90

I bought Harvey's as well and am very happy with it. You should keep your eyes open for a 6 channel amp. Harvey has the cable you need to hook that up too. The six channel amp combined with the speakers, was worth every penny!

Roger Forland

Thanks for the quick response everyone. I have a CDR220 unit so I don't believe there is an amp? Not sure how to tell though. I have only had my car for a couple months so still learning what everything iis. I expect I'm dealing with 18 watts from the radio. The front speakers don't sound that great either but I guess it's hard to expect much sound from the 18 watts no matter what speaker is in there.

Did you all upgrade your front speakers and door speakers? Amp? I want to add the rear but don't want to dump too much money in to it at the moment. Sounds like adding the speakers and an amp is the best way to go without dumping to much money in the project. Can I hook up an amp for all the speakers (6channel I guess) and have it work correctly with the becker cdr220?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks for the quick response everyone. I have a CDR220 unit so I don't believe there is an amp? Not sure how to tell though. I have only had my car for a couple months so still learning what everything iis. I expect I'm dealing with 18 watts from the radio. The front speakers don't sound that great either but I guess it's hard to expect much sound from the 18 watts no matter what speaker is in there.

Did you all upgrade your front speakers and door speakers? Amp? I want to add the rear but don't want to dump too much money in to it at the moment. Sounds like adding the speakers and an amp is the best way to go without dumping to much money in the project. Can I hook up an amp for all the speakers (6channel I guess) and have it work correctly with the becker cdr220?

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan-

If you have door speakers, then you have the M490 (hi-fi) or M680 (DSP) option which includes the amp in the front trunk (mounted vertically on the firewall behind the spare).

The 6ch amp everyone is talking about is a 6x40W amp pulled from either a Boxster (pre-'03-04 which uses the MOST fiber-optic system) or from a 996 cab or coupe. Without a 6ch amp, you'll be running the rear speakers off the head unit (at 18W). You can buy 6ch amps on ebay or in the classifieds here or on other P-boards. However, you need to know the type of amp being sold (M490 or M680) and match it to yours are they are not cross compatible. To answer your next question, Do I have M490 or M680, you can either: look at the option sticked under the front hood, look at the label on the amp after unbolting from firewall, or do you have a "surround sound" controller in the batwing (space below dash console) which allows you to press various buttons to create a different sounding system (jazz, etc..). If you have door speakers and just a blank batwing, then it's the M490 option.

On my system, I wanted to keep everything looking stock so, I upgraded the speakers in the dash and door (put 6.75" drivers in) and put in a 6x40W amp from a 996. Using efficient drivers (speakers) I find the 6x40W amp was enough to meet my needs. Will th ebass set off alarms of parked cars? No, but my system sounds **** good compared to the stock M490 system I started with. Plus, it all still looks stock.

Incidentally, Harvey makes some very nice SS door sill protectors. If you need some, reach out to him on those as well. Here's a quick shot of mine along w/ the upgraded 6.75" door speakers I put in....

2721713503_a88c7bd155.jpg

Good luck w/ your decisions an welcome to the world of hacking der Boxster :D

Edited by Cassiebox

Cassiebox,

I looked and I do have (I'm assuming) and amplifier under the hood. It's marked HAES from what I could read. How does it unbolt to read all of the model #? I see a bolt on the amp bracket on the top left and then i see another bolt on the bracket to the right but not sure of it's access because it's kind of behind the front of the bracket.

So if I have an amp, I need to replace it? Is the amp just for the door subs?

Thanks,

Ryan

Just look at the option sticker under your hood (or inside your owners manual) instead of unbolting. The sticker has your VIN#, paint code and then a bunch of option #s listed. One of the options listed will be either 490 or 680 (most likely 490 though....).

The amp in the trunk in a 4x40 (4 channels at 40Watts each channel peak). 2 channels power the dash (1 left, 1 right), then the other 2 power the doors (1 left, 1 right). You do not need to replace it. Instead, you'll just be hooking up the rear speakers to the head unit's built in amplifier which is 4x18W. The h/u's preamp outputs feed the amp in the trunk.

:)

Ryan

You have gotten a lot of great info from everyone else on this!

I had the 490 option and when I added Harvey's rear speaker kit it really helped, but I was able to pick up a six channel Porsche amp for $20.00 on Ebay and when I got done with that installation, again thanks to Harvey for sending me the cable free of charge!, it sounded a LOT better.

Keep watching ebay and other forums and when you will find a good buy on an amp - go for it. If you order the kit from Harvey ask for the cable for the amp right away and save the added expense.

Roger

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm going to order the kit from Harvey and watch for a 6x40amp to replace what I have. for the M490 replacement, does anyone happen to know the model # of what I need to find on ebay for the 6x40amp? I'll order the amp cable from harvey too so I'm ready when I get the amp.

Will be nice to have a little better sound. I recall reading somewhere where someone was able to adjust the sub speakers in the door to a higher crossover point, how is that done and was it helpful? next phase I'll probably switch out the speakers to some better ones if the PNP and amp aren't enough for me.

Thanks again everyone.

Ryan

02 Boxster s / 6spd

There is no tune-able crossover in the amp - it's built into the circuitry. I do not know the crossover point either. That being said, if you replace the crappy 5.25" door speakers w/ something larger (6.5, 6.75 or 6x9) you'll get much better low end. With 5.25", it difficult/impossible to produce any/good lows w/o lots of power and 40W ain't no where near lots-o-power. The only mod is to make for larger door speakers is a wood baffle covered w/ dynamat or some other sound deadner. The baffle can mount using the factory holes. Again, review Andy_M's guide in the DIY section and you'll see I posted a template for the baffle as well ;)

When you upgrade to larger door speakers, you'll want something w/ 2 ohm resistance, an efficiency of 91dB+ and can go lower than 50K Hz. Normal human detectable sound range is something like 20-120K Hz so the closer you can get to 20K Hz the better.

Good luck and do a search in the archives for 6x40 amp to find the various p/n's that are compatible. The one I used was 996.645.313.00 :)

"someone was able to adjust the sub speakers in the door to a higher crossover point"

they arn't really subs, more like a pair of mids

it is possible if U got an aftermarket amp with built in crossover

post-23680-1219700826_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm going to order the kit from Harvey and watch for a 6x40amp to replace what I have. for the M490 replacement, does anyone happen to know the model # of what I need to find on ebay for the 6x40amp? I'll order the amp cable from harvey too so I'm ready when I get the amp.

Will be nice to have a little better sound. I recall reading somewhere where , how is that done and was it helpful? next phase I'll probably switch out the speakers to some better ones if the PNP and amp aren't enough for me.

Thanks again everyone.

Ryan

02 Boxster s / 6spd

Edited by juniinc

Thanks again for all the info. Now as soon as I can get my short shifter installed and the car back together, It will be on to the speakers/amp project so I can tear it apart again. What a good way to get to know the car....

Ryan

02 Boxster S w/ 6spd

Hey All!!

Just got my stereo-system together....well almost finished......after three wednesday-nights of hard work :)

After starting with reading the great guide from AndyM and great help and hints also from Juniinc and others in different threads on this forum I created my own ideas. And my conclusion is: Skip the Rear-system in the first place......start with the amp, door and dash-speakers instead!!

I recently bought a -99 with ONLY the dash-speakers as stock (called option 441 I think), bought it late June and my first thought was: " - I Have To Do Something About The Sound System!!".......and then I read all the threads on this forum :)

So here´s what I did:

1. I ordered the rear-system from Harvey and installed it. Great Guy with great service, providing a great "how to" - guide and great fit.

2. I got hold of ISO-cables for the stereo, one to get two Line-Out signals for the amp(s), and one to activate the AUX-function, so that I can play my Ipod or other sources.

3. I connected a Flat, active Subwoofer to one of my Line Outs and hid it in front, under the floor mat on the passenger side. Also had the AUX-cable end up in the storage between the seats, so that I can hide my Ipod in there!

4. I hooked a four channel-amp up to my second line-out. Mounted in the front trunk behind the spare tire. I connected a set of 5,25" MB Quart to two of these channels and mounted them in the doors ( a system with Woofer/tweeter).

This was what I did yesterday evening and boy.....that was a tough job!!!

All the guides I have seen concerns upgrading already existing speakers in the doors, but have You guys tried to get new speaker cables in there?????? TIGHT!!!

But HEY, finally I´ve got great sound.....very Happy today!!

Next step is to change the dash-speakers as well and hook them up to the remaing two channels of the amp in the front.

Or maybe I could improve the sound just by running the stock-speakers with that amp??

Opinions??

Well, my reflections after doing these changes are:

Start with the "front stage" - sound, if You have the 490 option I guess You could just upgrade the speakers You´ve got and add a sub. And if You´ve (like me) got the 441 option: Get a great pair of speakers in the doors, and get a great amp to run them......also add a sub!

As for the rear-speakers: Maybe I went the wrong way by STARTING with these.........I guess that maybe if I ride with the top down at high speed they could help a bit.........but 3,5:s dont produce a good sound......and I think I wanna hear my music from the front......but hey, that´s just me :P

MAYBE also, If i Run the rears on an amp they will make more sense??

Still, all credit to Harvey at PNP, Great Service!!

Ok, That´s some opinions from Sweden, Guys!

Thanx!

//Mats

My suggestion would be replacing your head unit when u can.

I know I'm the one recommended using a line-out converter but they are not the greatest quality signal,,,

Hi powered head unit(45Wx4)will be able to push the rear kit, also will make such a substantial amount difference.

• 1 month later...

Replacing the m490 with a 6x40 amp. p/n 996.645.311.00

Can anyone verify if this is the correct amplifier I need to replace my 4 channel amp in my 2002 boxster?

I just found one on ebay and am going to order it. I just wanted to try to verify so I don't end up with a paper weight if it's the wrong one.

Thanks,

Ryan

sound system upgrade.... going very slow.

I bid on a 6 channel amp on ebay and someone swiped it last minute as I slept in this weekend... Oh well, I'm wondering if I should start with upgrading the front dash speakers first anyway. maybe I lost the ebay auction for a reason.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to buy the front speakers and the door speakers. I have been reading several posts and following Andy M's great documentation. I wanted to find out if the 4” MB Quart DKD 110 coaxial drivers are still the best speaker for the dash. Also to clarify, I do not replace the tweeter, correct?

For the doors, I saw the 6 ½” MB Quart DKE-116 coaxial drivers that Andy M used and I also saw someone talking about Kicker brand for the door.

So, my question is what is the latest and greatest that everyone seems to be happy with?

Having lost the bid on the 6 channel porsche amp, I am wondering how much sound I would even hear out of the rear speakers because my seats rest right against the rear compartments so the speakers would for the most part be firing right in to the back of the seat. Do you hear much at all? Is it just because your ears are sitting right there so you get a little bit?

One last question, I want to keep the stock head unit (CDR-220) but as I think about sirius radio, ipod, amplifiers, I wonder about getting a new head unit that will accommodate those items without having so many external devices. Anyone very happy with a head unit that doesn't look too crazy and isn't too costly. I like the Pioneer AVIC that has been posted but it's way out of my range.

Well,

Thanks for everyone's help and wisdom.

sound system upgrade.... going very slow.

I bid on a 6 channel amp on ebay and someone swiped it last minute as I slept in this weekend... Oh well, I'm wondering if I should start with upgrading the front dash speakers first anyway. maybe I lost the ebay auction for a reason.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to buy the front speakers and the door speakers. I have been reading several posts and following Andy M's great documentation. I wanted to find out if the 4” MB Quart DKD 110 coaxial drivers are still the best speaker for the dash. Also to clarify, I do not replace the tweeter, correct?

For the doors, I saw the 6 ½” MB Quart DKE-116 coaxial drivers that Andy M used and I also saw someone talking about Kicker brand for the door.

So, my question is what is the latest and greatest that everyone seems to be happy with?

Having lost the bid on the 6 channel porsche amp, I am wondering how much sound I would even hear out of the rear speakers because my seats rest right against the rear compartments so the speakers would for the most part be firing right in to the back of the seat. Do you hear much at all? Is it just because your ears are sitting right there so you get a little bit?

One last question, I want to keep the stock head unit (CDR-220) but as I think about sirius radio, ipod, amplifiers, I wonder about getting a new head unit that will accommodate those items without having so many external devices. Anyone very happy with a head unit that doesn't look too crazy and isn't too costly. I like the Pioneer AVIC that has been posted but it's way out of my range.

Well,

Thanks for everyone's help and wisdom.

I recently did the 4x40 to 6x40 AMP swap and it is well worth it keep looking on ebay and Craig's list until you find one. I can't comment on which to start with, speakers or AMP, because I haven't changed out speaker syet but plan to. My setup is the stock front and door speakers and Harvey's rear kit and going from the rears hooked to the head unti @ 18 watts to them hooked to the AMP @ 40 watts was a big difference. I have the seats all the way back and can still hear the difference with the rear speakers. I bought the AUX cable that allows me to conenct mt Sirius and Zune via the AUX input and love that option. What a difference from listening to Sirius over the built-in FM transmitter! I love it! I plan on upgrading the front and door speakers soon as well.

Eric