Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil in spark plug socket?

Hey all,

So I decided to replace the spark plugs yesterday, after 77K and noticed upon removing the middle spark plug on the passenger side of the vehicle.... oil all over the spark plug well, and on the coil pack. Thus far, is hasn't caused any issues.... I did an oil separator replacement not too long ago as well, and read that oil can get into the spark plugs, so I'm wondering if it's old oil before that. The other spark plug wells appeared to be fine and dry.

Any ideas?

• Moderators

Pre MY 03 flat six engines suffers with this problem, replace all 6 tubes and 12 O-rings. Instructions are here on the board somewhere, 986 and or 996 forum.

Pre MY 03 flat six engines suffers with this problem, replace all 6 tubes and 12 O-rings. Instructions are here on the board somewhere, 986 and or 996 forum.

Hmmm... I did a search for this and couldn't find anything. Anyone know the correct link? THAdvaNceKS!

I read the forum about taking an old screwdriver and using it to pry out the tube. I don't know if I'm exactly comfortable sticking an old screwdriver in there to get it out. Can they be easily removed just by reaching in with fingers? I'm not exactly sure how far down the tube goes.

Anyways, called Sunset (Man are they the best) ordered 6 new tubes and the 12 o-rings. Figured, if one's leaking... might as well be on the safe side and replace em' all. I'm glad to hear i don't have a serious problem on my hands though.

I read the forum about taking an old screwdriver and using it to pry out the tube. I don't know if I'm exactly comfortable sticking an old screwdriver in there to get it out. Can they be easily removed just by reaching in with fingers? I'm not exactly sure how far down the tube goes.

why not? you're not going to use the tubes anymore. ;)

using your finger, you can try pressing the tube against the surrounding metal and pulling, but really the screwdriver is a great (and perfectly safe) idea. you do know it's the rubber-handle end of the screwdriver that goes into the tube, right? :huh:

MVC_073S.JPG

• Moderators

I have only tried to remove a tube once. Removed the coil, plug, and stuck my finger inside the tube and pulled it out with my finger. Engine was warm. What keeps the tube in place is the friction fit of the o-ring on each end, and the coil.

Porsche has a factory tool. I have never seen it because all the mechanics I know simply pry out the tube with a small prybar on the edge of the tube. Pic is an aftermarket version, but if I remember correctly it is like $100.

If you cannot pull them all out with your finger and don't want to pry them out, then you need something to shove inside the tube that you can expand inside the tube to grip the tube. Then you pull on the end of this something to pull the tube out. People have used a spark plug boot puller. Shove the puller inside the tube and expand it so it grips the inside of the tube. Then pull the tube out.

The plastic tubes may be brittle from years of heat, and plastic pieces fall into the cam cover. A mechanic I asked said not to worry, it does not harm the engine.

post-4-1219604764_thumb.jpg

I have only tried to remove a tube once. Removed the coil, plug, and stuck my finger inside the tube and pulled it out with my finger. Engine was warm. What keeps the tube in place is the friction fit of the o-ring on each end, and the coil.

Porsche has a factory tool. I have never seen it because all the mechanics I know simply pry out the tube with a small prybar on the edge of the tube. Pic is an aftermarket version, but if I remember correctly it is like $100.

If you cannot pull them all out with your finger and don't want to pry them out, then you need something to shove inside the tube that you can expand inside the tube to grip the tube. Then you pull on the end of this something to pull the tube out. People have used a spark plug boot puller. Shove the puller inside the tube and expand it so it grips the inside of the tube. Then pull the tube out.

The plastic tubes may be brittle from years of heat, and plastic pieces fall into the cam cover. A mechanic I asked said not to worry, it does not harm the engine.

Thanks for the info TP :) I was also a bit concerned of that as well... if something were to break off and slip inside the cam. It's good to know that this should be a "fairly" simple thing to fix.