Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2005 Cayenne in the UK with just CD player and CDC4 changer on the back.

Car has the fiber optic cables already running from the CD player to the changer in the trunk.

I just bought from ebay a PCM (the head unit) with the separate DVD player (that's it, not other parts).

I installed the head unit in the dash but can't find out where the DVD player is supposed to go. Should I remove the changer from the trunk and replace it with the DVD player? On the back of the DVD player there is a socket for cable, one for fiber optic and a blue antenna looking socket.

Can anyone please tell me what parts I need to get to finish the installation ... I looked at the TSB for retrofit but doesn't say anything about where to put the DVD player or if I can use the existing CD changer fiber optic cable.

By the way, the way it is now, with just the head unit plugged in, it says, "System error, navigation, amplifier and phone system not present", and it gets stuck. Any button I press nothing happens.

What should I do? Would this get fixed when I install the DVD player?

Please help ...

Thanks

The dvd is mounted under the passenger seat.

Regard the fibre as a loop from device to device, the MOST system autodetects the devices (legal devices). My guess is that you plugged in the fibre and now its telling you that you do not have a complete circuit

The other plug on the back of the DVD unit is for the Antenna which you most likely dont have (I could be wrong). So you need to get the fibre loop to the passenger seat and install and run cabling from the rear spoiler (where the antenna mounts) to the passenger seat

I am sure I saw a Nav install TSB at one point

I have a 2005 Cayenne in the UK with just CD player and CDC4 changer on the back.

Car has the fiber optic cables already running from the CD player to the changer in the trunk.

I just bought from ebay a PCM (the head unit) with the separate DVD player (that's it, not other parts).

I installed the head unit in the dash but can't find out where the DVD player is supposed to go. Should I remove the changer from the trunk and replace it with the DVD player? On the back of the DVD player there is a socket for cable, one for fiber optic and a blue antenna looking socket.

Can anyone please tell me what parts I need to get to finish the installation ... I looked at the TSB for retrofit but doesn't say anything about where to put the DVD player or if I can use the existing CD changer fiber optic cable.

By the way, the way it is now, with just the head unit plugged in, it says, "System error, navigation, amplifier and phone system not present", and it gets stuck. Any button I press nothing happens.

What should I do? Would this get fixed when I install the DVD player?

Please help ...

Thanks

Please help ...

System error, navigation, amplifier and phone system not present

You are not alone my friend!!! here the same issue I have.

For a second it worked and then:

System error, navigation, cd changer and phone system not present

System error, navigation, cd changer and phone system not present

there is a bit difference between our messages but almost the same. there are some codes for fixing this for sure, or maybe piwis can help.

as for the amplifier mesage:

YOU NEED TO CHECK THE MOST CABLE as Mudman said, maybe you didnt fit it properly, and you will have SOUND :) but you'll still see the same SYSTEM ERROR! you've more parts that I have to complete it. you should go and by the antennas and other cables that you need.

in the end, if your PCM has been on another car, like mine has been, you need to get the car to the dealer. the unit itself kept the VIN from the previous car, so you need to change this with yours, end other things in order to get it running. at least, thats what I have done, and the message disapeard, still waiting for the dealer to update some password and run the piwis again on my car and change that VIN. hopes this will help you.

Ilie.

• 5 years later...

Does anyone have the procedure with PIWIS to change the VIN in the PCM? I have upgraded to a PCM 2.1 with phone buttons and added NAV-TV bluetooth as well as some of the other NAV-TV modules. All has been installed successfully and is seen by the fiber optic ring, but I am getting errors due to items that were installed in the previous car. In order to clear them out my Porsche Dealer needs to change the VIN coded to the PCM to my car and can't find how to do it in the current version of PIWIS? Any help is appreciated!

• Admin

Does anyone have the procedure with PIWIS to change the VIN in the PCM? I have upgraded to a PCM 2.1 with phone buttons and added NAV-TV bluetooth as well as some of the other NAV-TV modules. All has been installed successfully and is seen by the fiber optic ring, but I am getting errors due to items that were installed in the previous car. In order to clear them out my Porsche Dealer needs to change the VIN coded to the PCM to my car and can't find how to do it in the current version of PIWIS? Any help is appreciated!

When I have had problems like this it was usually because the order type was set incorrectly (or more often) missing from the DME coding. I would check that first.

If you will tell me the exact model and year of the car I will look-up the correct order code for you.

The instructions for coding a new PCM unit with the old PIWIS1 tester don't show anything on VIN entry. I think it might also be something to do with the IPAS PCM code. Perhaps if you obtain the PCM code from your old unit and code that into the new one it might work.

Here are the instructions for PIWIS1, in case they are of use. These are taken from POSES (2006) and quite often the PIWIS software updates change the method slightly:

Coding the display and operator control unit (PCM2)

Note
When installing a new PCM/CDR in a vehicle, the PCM/CDR code specified in IPAS should be present. Normally, the code is stored in the instrument cluster, and is read out from the PCM/CDR.
You can get the codes from IPAS or from your importer by specifying the vehicle identification number.
During coding, there should be a guaranteed power supply for the PIWIS tester 9718. It is essential to connect a battery charger with a current rating of at least 40 A to the vehicle battery.
The PIWIS tester 9718 instructions take precedence and in the event of a discrepancy these are the instructions that must be followed. Deviations may occur with later software versions.
The procedure described here has been structured in general terms; different text or additions may appear in the PIWIS tester 9718.

Note
The installed components that are detected are displayed in the MOST actual installed components list.
Compare the installed components detected from the MOST actual installed components list with the MOST required installed components list.

1. Connect the PIWIS tester 9718 to the vehicle and start it. Switch on the ignition. >> Continue.
2. Select the vehicle type.
3. Select PCM2 control unit and press >> .
4. Select PCM2 MMI in the PCM2 menu and press >> .
5. Select the Coding menu and press >> .
6. Select the Equipment menu and press >> .

The following codings can be performed:

7. Select PCM2 code, enter data and code by pressing F8 .

8. Select Country coding and the relevant country, and code with F8 .

9. Select Vehicle type vehicle coding and code with F8 .
Vehicle type vehicle coding
Not coded
911 (996)
Boxster (986)
Cayenne
911 (997)
Boxster (987)

10. Select Vehicle version vehicle coding and code with F8 .
Vehicle version vehicle coding
Not coded
Basic model
Passenger compartment roof
Sunroof

11. Select Air conditioner and code with F8 .
Air conditioning
Without air conditioning
With air conditioning

12. Select Units and code with F8 .
Units
RoW (°C, litre, km)
UK (°C, gal, mph)
USA (°F, gal, mph)

13. Select Right/left-hand drive vehicle coding and code with F8 .
Right/left-hand drive vehicle coding
Right-hand drive
Left-hand drive

14. Select Engine version and code with F8 .
Engine version
Not coded
V6
V8
V8 twin-turbo

15. Select Reversing camera and code with F8 .
Reversing camera
Not installed
Installed

16. Select DVB-T at AV input of TV tuner and code with F8 .
DVB-T at AV input of TV tuner
Not installed
Installed

17. Select AV input of TV tuner selectable and code with F8 .
AV input of TV tuner selectable
Not installed
Installed

18. Further customer-specific settings can be selected and coded in the same way in the other four submenus (Timeouts, Porsche Assistance, Additional and Freely-selectable codes >> e.g. for Off-Road Navi, Compass, etc., codes can be found in IPAS) of the Coding menu.

19. In the menu PCM MMI, change to MOST actual installed components list; here a version installed in the vehicle (e.g. CD changer) must be displayed

20. Change to MOST required installed components list; here too the same version (e.g. CD changer) must be displayed - if this is not the case, select the version and code with F8 .

21. Read out fault memory and erase if required.

22. Use << to quit the menu PCM MMI and change to the menu PCM GW.

In the menu PCM GW:
23. Select Coding and press the >> .

24. Select Production mode off and code with F8 .
Production mode
Production mode on
Production mode off

25. Select Tuner parameters and code with F8 .
Tuner parameters
Europe
USA
South America
Australia
Asia
(South) Africa
Japan

26. Use << to quit the menu PCM.

27. Read out fault memory and erase if required.

28. PCM is now taught.

29. If the PCM/vehicle equipment does not have a DVD navigation unit, then adjust the time/date using the SET button on the PCM and in the menu PCM system.

30. For vehicle equipment with DVD navigation unit, switch on the PCM in clear surroundings (to load GPS almanac); as soon as four satellites are identified the almanac will reload. The time is updated again when there is a plausible GPS reception (four satellites). The date and time are also adopted once the GPS almanac has been loaded; it may be necessary to change over to summer time (daylight-saving time). This time is transferred to the instrument cluster. If the time is then manually changed by means of the instrument cluster, this time is adopted by the PCM and synchronised with GPS time.

31. For vehicle equipment with telephone, the telephone is enabled again when the telephone PIN code is entered with the SIM telephone card inserted.

Control module replacement - PCM2
The PCM2 is provided in active production mode in new vehicles and as a spare part. Each time the vehicle is started, the stored VIN is compared with that in the instrument cluster. Provided no match is found, the device switches off after 30 seconds and the PROTECTED message appears in the display. The device is not operational.

If a match is found, the device is operational. No further checks are made while the device is connected to the vehicle electrical system.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Thanks to all for the replies! I will take this back to the dealership and hopefully it will resolved the problem - they did say that they had done this before but were unable to find the way of doing it since the PIWIS has been updated.

Loren - many thanks as always - this is for a 2005 Cayenne S.

• Admin

Thanks to all for the replies! I will take this back to the dealership and hopefully it will resolved the problem - they did say that they had done this before but were unable to find the way of doing it since the PIWIS has been updated.

Loren - many thanks as always - this is for a 2005 Cayenne S.

Most of the blank or incorrect order type DME codes were 2004 and before so just in case the correct order type for your car is 9PAAE1.

• 2 months later...

I have a faulty pcm 2.1 and 2 shops couldn't fix it... I am driving without music for more than 4 month...

I have a spare cdr-23 from another cayenne, but i get an PROTECT error. As i know the car can not recognise the unit because the VIN and options in my car are different.

i removed the DVD drive by putting an optic fiber bridge.

I don't use the navigation and i think i might sell the car in the near future so i don't want to spend a fortune to make the obsolete PCM 2.1 working...

Is it possible to code the car with PIWIS so that the car could recognise the CDR-23?

P.s. my car came standard with BOSE and pcm 2.1 with CDC4 changer

• Admin

I have a faulty pcm 2.1 and 2 shops couldn't fix it... I am driving without music for more than 4 month...

I have a spare cdr-23 from another cayenne, but i get an PROTECT error. As i know the car can not recognise the unit because the VIN and options in my car are different.

i removed the DVD drive by putting an optic fiber bridge.

I don't use the navigation and i think i might sell the car in the near future so i don't want to spend a fortune to make the obsolete PCM 2.1 working...

Is it possible to code the car with PIWIS so that the car could recognise the CDR-23?

P.s. my car came standard with BOSE and pcm 2.1 with CDC4 changer

With the proper PIWIS coding and re-configuration (in both software and fiber optic end points.) this should be able to be done.