Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

power steering going?

HELLO ALL... AGAIN!

so... i have the following issue...

when i turn to the RIGHT...and ONLY THE RIGHT... i get some whining from the front of the car... i can only hear it from inside the car... i stood outside of the car and couldnt hear anything. the whining is present while stationary and rolling. it does seem to go away if i turn the wheel slowly...

i checked the PS fluid... looked clean. i added about maybe less then 10ml to the reservoir, which i think is a normal amount. i have no leaks, no increased steering effort. it has gotten colder around here...but thats about it.

1999 996 C2

6 speed

~102000 km

canada

thanks all in advance...

Edited by silver_6r

Normal amount? Unless the power steering is leaking you should never really need to add any.

You might want to pull the front underbody cover off and have a look at the steering rack. Look for signs of small leakage or damage.

yea was going to do that this weekend

thanks

well, let us know what you find out. It's cold and rainy where i'm at for the extended forecast so i won't be able to take a look for a while. Plus I've got so much work to do on getting my 83 westy road ready. Def. don't want to take it into the shop without knowing what were looking at. Keep us posted!

bmohr

well, let us know what you find out. It's cold and rainy where i'm at for the extended forecast so i won't be able to take a look for a while. Plus I've got so much work to do on getting my 83 westy road ready. Def. don't want to take it into the shop without knowing what were looking at. Keep us posted!

bmohr

well, i havent looked yet.. but i did talk to SUNSET in oregen... REMAN PORSCHE RACK, plus all tie rods and parts (boots and ties) ~$830..which is a steal compared to canadian pricing!

but, i dont think this should be something i need to do for some time.. i havent lost any fluid and dont have any bubbles or anything else in the pup reservoir....

• Moderators

Check your Power steering fluid level and make sure you have enough in the reservoir. I had the same thing a few years back, only made the noise when cold and during right turns. My fix was to add some fluid. Make sure you use only mineral based PS fluid.

Check your Power steering fluid level and make sure you have enough in the reservoir. I had the same thing a few years back, only made the noise when cold and during right turns. My fix was to add some fluid. Make sure you use only mineral based PS fluid.

yup thats the first thing i did...

i know there technically isnt a "bleeding" method other than turning the steering lock to lock several times, but i wonder about the fluid. i mean all oils are hygrophilic (absodb water) so a full flush would bo good every 100K km's or so?!

Silver, help me out. How are you flushing your system? I've never messed with this before. I poured a shot glass or so in the resourvoir yesterday and this morning the same noise was there. I checked the level today when the car was cold and it only registered at that "cold" tab on the bottom of the stick. the manual I think says that the level should be "below" the cold tab or in that area. So i'm not sure i'm reading it right. But def. let me know how you are flushing your system. Danke!

i basically sucked out all the fluid from the reservoir with a hand pump and hose..... filled the reservoir with new fluid..... turned the car on.. and turned the steering lock to lock several times....

repeat...

there are other ways... but this is the easiest