Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dealer found wiring damage caused by rodents on our 997. It was explained to me, by the Service Advisor, that Porsche uses a coating or material on/in the harness or loom/sleeve that allows for easy installation...kind of like a lubrication so it can be slid easily in and through tight places. I am trying to find out if any others have been told this story: The lubrication or material found in the harness attract rodents. This might not be specific to just Porsches since the auto industry often sources their parts from various manufacturers. I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to add a chemical to the harness/loom that doesn't attract rodents, eliminating the problem and making this a better car. Thoughts welcomed?

So !!!!! :o How does one rat proof a Porsche ? I got all kinds of critters living in my yard, the woods next door, the corn fields...... and with winter coming they all tend to want to move in doors when they get a chance, like every time I open the garage doors. Short of sitting up all night in the garage with a shot gun anyone have any hints on defeating the hoard before they eat my car ?? :cursing:

Edited by dphatch

I put some black stuff on the wheels so they look

cool. This stuff had an easy aplicator so that sold me. The

next day I had ants all over the front end. I washed the car that

night and got rid of the ants.

I went back to using amerol. You have to be careful what

you use these days.

Paul

I was told (even by pcna tech instructors) that in the process of making the wiring insulation of wiring that corn starch is used in the coloring process, andl that is what attracts rodents. I don't think this is a specific manufaturer but all wiring.

Not sure how this could be applied but I've had to replace the control electronics on my home Air Conditioner condensing unit due to mice eating the insulation on the wires and their bodies shorting the circuit. This of course also results in the mouse's demise. The only solution that I've found to keep them away is to place a number of hanging holders with moth balls inside the unit, changing them every three months or so.

I have had success keeping rodents away during the colder months here in western Pennsylvania by scattering moth balls on the garage floor, under and around the car. The drawback to this is that your car will smell like moth balls for a while when the warm weather arrives. The smell goes away after a few nice weather top down or window down drives. John

Here is what I have found out so far: Moth Balls, Fabric softner dryer sheets, periodic starting of the car, keeping under the hood clean and checked every other day and my personal favorite....predator urine (fox or bobcat). It was suggested in another forum that you could put fox urine on a small block of wood and just park over it every day.

You can buy the urine at hunting stores (somebody suggested WalMart).

Still, my issue is "why do manufacturers use materials that attract rodents". Let's assume that there is no other material that can be used in the manufacturing process. Couldn't a repellent be added to the material or to a tape?

How many vehicle fires or other safety issues have been caused by rodent damage?

I would like to have a car that is better and safer than others so Porsche is a good place to start. I would be interested in any thoughts against a Porsche that repelled rodents ie:maybe it would cost more for a rat proof 997?

PS: Insurance would cover this but I'm more concerned about future damage. Looks like rats like Porsches more than the other brands that we have (smile).

They don't just chew on the wires, they nibble on everything. You make it sound like Porsche is going out of their way to make the wiring harness appetizing to rodents. I live surrounded by rodents and use electronic devices to keep them away. Over the years I've tried the above mentioned tricks but none worked, I did have some success with spreading lye(said to burn their paws) around the vehicle but that just got messy.

First comment on 'they nibble on everything': I agree but I think the draw is the wiring. Any others that could comment on what rats like more I would love to hear. My research in this area is always wiring as the complaint and more so on the 997 than others ie:Cayene.

As far as 'single out Porsche': just by the nature of this forum I'm making the point about Porsche only. I would hope that Porsche would like to lead the way if there was a fix available. I consider Porsche as an innovator and would hope they would be an earlier adopter of a solution if one was made available. Sounds like others have had the issue.

Noise makers are another great approach. I have a friend that tried it but it bothers him he has to keep it plugged into the wall. He suggested a 12v version. I would argue that the Porsche battery needs while parked is already too high and adding a noise maker would just add to another problem. The urine seems to be the most interesting to me but I haven't tried it so I can't comment on the frequency of the application or does it smell. I thought it was synthetic so the smell (like the noise maker) is something I wouldn't notice. Any hunters out there that could comment?

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...