Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Smaller Steering Wheel?

Early Boxster S ergonomics suck, IMHO. I'm a six-footer, 180 pounds, a little on the long-legged side. I can live with the crappy switches, the nil side support of the seats, but the standard steering wheel is downright dangerous. I can't brake, left- or right-footed while steering into a corner without my hands fouling on the steering wheel, no matter what permutation of seat and steering wheel position I try.

Is there any alternative?

I drove a friend's BMW M3 yesterday, the E46 model, and wish I'd gone for that. I am quite disillusioned with the 'Porsche experience'.

Sorry for the rant, and TIA for any suggestions.

Early Boxster S ergonomics suck, IMHO. I'm a six-footer, 180 pounds, a little on the long-legged side. I can live with the crappy switches, the nil side support of the seats, but the standard steering wheel is downright dangerous. I can't brake, left- or right-footed while steering into a corner without my hands fouling on the steering wheel, no matter what permutation of seat and steering wheel position I try.

I drove a friend's BMW M3 yesterday, the E46 model, and wish I'd gone for that. I am quite disillusioned with the 'Porsche experience'.

I do not know of another wheel personally but there has to be some momo non-airbag options that racers use. I assume you are racing based on your comment, correct? Otherwise I really don't understand you comments for daily driving.

I am 6ft 1inch and fit just fine at 230lbs. I do feel the roll-over hoop is very dangerous which has been discussed on this list. Sounds like they did a better job with the 987, so you should have done some research before buying!

6'4'' here - no problems with the steering wheel...Installed GT3 console delete for more leg room, Kirkey Intermediate seats 17'', bolted to the floor for the driver and 16'' for the passenger - they are comfortable. If you are thinking of racing, get the same seats I did with 5 to 6 point harnesses and non-airbag Momos, you should be fine! Would not go for non-airbag steering wheels without the harnesses.

M3 is more of a family car, albeit wonderfully sportive...Two different concepts - the Boxster is a roadster, where space is at a premium. BTW, I have noticed that is the case for most Porsches...

Hope this helps.

Best,

Gus

Being a former 911 driver, the Boxster is diffentaly a much smaller car. I miss the extra behind the seats room and over all larger feel. But as mentioned earlier the BMW and Boxster are really apples and oranges as a comparison.

Thanks for the replies.

First of all, this is not about racing, just everyday driving on Hong Kong's twisty roads. I tend to steer in a racing style though, holding on to the steering wheel to the six or seven o'clock position. There is a one or two inch space between the steering wheel and my thighs, which necessitates me putting my legs in a very awkward position so my hands can clear them.

Maybe it is technique, then. I'll have to go back to the 'driving school' method. :o

Gus...thanks for the seat recommendation. It makes me wonder if the guy I bought the car from put risers under the seats. He was quite short. :rolleyes:

Also, did you drop the seat all the way down? The seat does adjust up and down as well as the traditional adjustments.

It's always interesting when I get a student who uses the "racing style" instead of "driving school" method. There's a reason you're taught that way...

If you have a steering wheel which will go from center to full lock in a 90 degree turn, and then back to center and 90 degrees the other way to full opposite lock, then keeping your hands on the wheel makes perfect sense. Almost every car on the street is much more than that. It wouldn't work to have a tight steering ratio as the street is too twitchy for that.

Going to the "driving school" method will help you be safer and more comfortable. We teach you that way for a reason. :lightbulb:

-Michael

I was also a bit disapointed buy the Boxster's ergonomics. I think a tilting steering wheel, similar to the 987, would make a big difference.

As others have mentioned make sure your seat is all the way down. Try shifting the seat forward then lower it, and then move it back. see if that helps.

There are smaller aftermarket airbag wheels, but I can't say if they would solve your problems. Most of them seem to be 340mm in size.

These are from Carnewal, Gemballa and Ruf

post-6440-1224771704.jpg

post-6440-1224771714_thumb.jpg

post-6440-1224771730_thumb.jpg

Porsche offers a smaller steering wheel on the 987 as an option, they call it the sport steering wheel. It even comes with a thicker rim. I wonder if the 987 and 986 wheels are compatible?

That would be great - assuming they don't cost 2 grant!!!

All the best,

Gus

Also, did you drop the seat all the way down? The seat does adjust up and down as well as the traditional adjustments.

As others have mentioned make sure your seat is all the way down. Try shifting the seat forward then lower it, and then move it back. see if that helps.

Thanks, savowood and Aron. By following your suggestion, I managed to get the seat about a half inch lower. In that position, by moving the seat closer to the steering wheel, I now have a little more room to turn the wheel. It doesn't feel natural, but I'll get used to it.

I will continue to avoid the 'driving school' steering method. :P Too old to change it now. :rolleyes:

Many thanks for all the input.

Regards,

Ed