Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

what oil to use

hi all, i am looking to step up my oil from mobil 1 ow-40 to 5w-40. only thing i see on the market is castrol syntec 5w-40. mobil 1 is for diesel engine only. on castrol bottle it says porsche approved, however i'd like to get some opinions before chaging the oil. by the way i have noticed the oil level going down slightly from the sensor( onboard computer) in the am or after the car has been sitting, i think it might have a slight blow by problem and maybe thicker oil may fix that. my car is an 02 boxster s with 82k miles. thanks in advance

hi all, i am looking to step up my oil from mobil 1 ow-40 to 5w-40. only thing i see on the market is castrol syntec 5w-40. mobil 1 is for diesel engine only. on castrol bottle it says porsche approved, however i'd like to get some opinions before chaging the oil. by the way i have noticed the oil level going down slightly from the sensor( onboard computer) in the am or after the car has been sitting, i think it might have a slight blow by problem and maybe thicker oil may fix that. my car is an 02 boxster s with 82k miles. thanks in advance

I used Castrol Syntec 5W-40 in my turbocharged GTI for three years and had great results. Even after 7 to 10K miles between changes it still looked a lot cleaner than some others I've used, plus its readily available at Advance, AutoZone, and Wal-mart. Plus, its Porsche approved.

Here a list of other approved oils for our cars.

Cheers.

• Admin
Amsoil makes an excellent synthetic 5-40 specifically for Europeon cars.

$9.40 retail, dealer cost is $7.05 (plus shipping and tax).

I have nothing against Amsoil - but it is not on Porsche's "Approved Oils" list.

Their latest list is twelve pages long and lists 56 manufacturers. This list is updated yearly by Porsche.

i have found some lubroMolly( liquiMolly) 5w-40 oil and upon researching this its gotten very good feedbacks on all european cars ( audi, VW, BMW< mercedes, etc) but just not much on the porsche, not sure if people are not able to get them or something. the bottle also says its apporoved by porsche and it is also listed on the porsche approval list or oils.

i think i might go with the castro as suggested by IFLYS5 because its cheaper and easily accessible. if not i can always go with lubro.

i am also thinking to change out the gear oil now i have 82k miles, is Delvac 75W-90 gear oil ok for a boxster or there is something more suitable? i was actually suggested by my mechanic to use redline gear oil however i am not very sure about this since i haven't checked to see if this is recod by porsche. anyone knows about this?

:)

FWIW.

I contacted Amsoil to find out why they weren't on the Approved list, i was curious. I wanted factual information from him not how to sell it lol

All I got back from them "i'll speak to our techs and get back to you". They never did. However they offered to set me up as a dealer and my own website etc.

They remind me too much of Mary Kay/tupper ware etc for my tastes.

Are they professional? Not in my opinion. Would I trust their product? Not based on my experience with them via emails.

Jim

FWIW.

I contacted Amsoil to find out why they weren't on the Approved list, i was curious. I wanted factual information from him not how to sell it lol

All I got back from them "i'll speak to our techs and get back to you". They never did. However they offered to set me up as a dealer and my own website etc.

They remind me too much of Mary Kay/tupper ware etc for my tastes.

Are they professional? Not in my opinion. Would I trust their product? Not based on my experience with them via emails.

Jim

i have talked to a friend who's been in car biz for more than 20 yrs and knows a lot about oil and his views on the Amsoils are DEFINITELY not for porsche. however if u like mustangs then go for it......... :P

Noting that Mobil 1 5-40 is approved. Amsoil 5-40 meets (and usually exceeds) the exact same API specifications.

That an oil is not on the "Porsche approved list" does NOT mean it is NOT good for the car, just that the oil company has not paid for testing by Porsche.

In this case, if the oil you are looking at meets the API specification (SL in the case of say my 2000 Boxster S) or better, then you can be assured that the oil is OK to run.

The Amsoil 5-40 Europeon oil meets or exceeds SM specifications, thus it also meets or exceeds SL specifications.

The mechanical and especially oil world is well populated by people that are "experts" that are ignorant in one or more areas. Some people just quit learning 20 years ago when they were a mechanic, others listen to instructors or other "experts" that continue passing along bad information.

Amsoil takes a hit because of the non-standard distribution method. It isn't Mary Kay or Tupperware. It is the first synthetic and consistently the best oil in tests. I became an Amsoil dealer many years ago after research that led me to believe it was a top product, and as a dealer I can get it at a better price. I don't drink the Kool Aid, and don't drive a truck with stickers all over it. It is possible to make a good living at selling Amsoil, but I prefer to not work the business that much. Others do quite well. I don't host parties, and if friends want to buy or become a dealer they do, if they don't , then I leave them alone. I take my wife to dinner a few times a year on my income, and save money on top products the rest of the year.

Jim says Amsoil isn't professional because he didn't get all the on-line help he wanted, and he was offered info on how to be a dealer? Well, I went to the tech line and got some good answers. But I don't put down a company that promotes their products. Think Mobil Oil doesn't put people on mailing lists or promote their products?

I will use Amsoil in my Porsche and other cars, as long as it meets the specifications, which it does. THere is more than enough proof out there that Amsoil makes top products and is a leader in the industry.

Remember when Amsoil was pretty much all alone in synthetic oils? All of a sudden, Corvette and Porsche start recommending Mobil 1 and lo and behold, you don't need to "break in" engines with regular oil anymore! And synthetics are the best thing around. Amsoil knew this and was talking about it for many decades before this "breakthrough".

Does Mobil pay for these companies to install and recommend their product? YOu can bet your bippie they do. Why should I trust a company that pays for a recommendation more than a company that stands on their own good reputation and lets people make a living selling their products?

Use what you want, but don't repeat bad information about good products.