Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 to 997 Facelift

Yeah nice car! I have the lights but need wire harness to complete the lights installation. I have porsche OEM fender and hoods for the installation. Do you know they sell just the wire harness? I am planning to be in HK around New Years; but if not then maybe could get a hold on them on the phone and see they will ship them. Can you PM me on their contact info. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah nice car! I have the lights but need wire harness to complete the lights installation. I have porsche OEM fender and hoods for the installation. Do you know they sell just the wire harness? I am planning to be in HK around New Years; but if not then maybe could get a hold on them on the phone and see they will ship them. Can you PM me on their contact info. Thanks!

SENT, have a nice day

• 1 month later...
I have been looking to do the 996 to 997 facelift on my 996 C2. There are kits available that use factory Headlamps, bumper, signals, ect.

The only problem I see so far is that the fenders are reproduction fiberglass. All the pictures look great and is a nice alternative when you have

a Paid for 996 and will like a 997. Any comments or anyone that has done the facelift that can share the experience.

HAMANN HAS A KIT FOR A NOSE CONVERSION.

ALSO VH CARS IN BELGIUM PHONE 0032 50 37 50 37 (THIS ONE IS RATHER NICE)

I know and I have seen the quality of the fiberglass parts that Jeff sells and they are superior to most out there. . .Parts fit snug and dont need a lot of work to make them look right. I am getting ready to do my car here in the next few months. about 900 dollars in lights for headlight and lights for the bumpers. I will need a new frony bumper, fenders and hood. I am also putting rockers and a new updated rear bumper on the car. maybe 3k in parts there and a couple thousand for a good paint job. I paid 20k for my 2000 996 with 71k tiptronic convertable car. So for under 30k I will have a great looking car with a new paint job. To me I think it is worth it. I have already built a strosek porsche on a 1984 euro convertable. I had bought these parts from Jeff manufactor and I was really pleased with the kit. The car turned out great and I just sold it about 6 months ago and got almost 30k for it. I hope this helps

dave

If you want a 997 look you should buy a 997. IMHO the exterior of the car is an improvement only in the eyes of the beholder. I love the 996 styling personally. The interior is where the big improvements exist.

I agree with Deckman on this one. And others here have agreed in the past. I've come to appreciate the "modern" look of the fried-egg front end, even though I figured to just suffer along with it because the rear end of the c4s looks so **** good. But it surely is a matter of personal taste, cant go wrong either way. and speaking of the 996 light module, I think we can all agree that the design of the headlight washers is horrible. many folks have mentioned that if the washer is used at over about 30mph the top will just come off and blow away. part of the "porsche mystique" I suppose. I still think "porsche mysteries (and/or miseries)" would be a good running forum topic. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• 6 months later...

SENT, have a nice day

I need the wiring harness myself. Any help with this?

• 4 years later...

This is a 2014 update to performing a 996 to 997 front end conversion.

Note that I was gonna purchase a Gen 1 997TT until my local Porsche tech and other local Porsche shop told me to get a Gen2 or a 996 as the Gen 1 had a LOT of issues.  So I picked up a 2002 996TT.

So on the comments of cost of conversion I spent $20k on front end conversion and a ByDesign Automotive group K1668 Tiel hybred turbo power pack that puts out 640hp to the flywheel.

So tell me if you feel the better option is a 996TT with the updates then purchasing a 997TT Gen 2?

This is an $8-10k full cost with parts and labor. 

There are a lot of kits you can use out there:

http://www.prior-design.de/porsche_911_996_pd3/

www.wickedmotorworks.com/partdetails.php?partid=10098

http://precisionporsche.com/996-to-997-front-bumper-74-pd.html

As i do not want fiberglass and all the body fitment that comes with it I decided to go OEM Porsche 997 parts.

Here is the complete list of what you will need with part numbers

SeqNo    Part            Description        Qty    Sale$
1    997-503-032-02-GRV    FENDER            1    439.82
2    997-503-031-00-GRV    FENDER            1    439.82
3    997-504-134-00-GRV    FILLER INLET COMPART    1    57.90
4    997-511-011-00-GRV    FRONT HOOD        1    616.01
5    997-505-563-01-01C    RETAINING FRAME        1    175.64
6    997-505-564-01-01C    RETAINING FRAME        1    175.64
7    997-505-541-02-01C    RETAINING FRAME        1    121.30
8    997-505-531-00        "GRIP CHANNEL, CENTE    1    50.79
9    997-631-073-02        "FIXTURE, MAIN HEADL    1    89.79
10    997-631-074-02        "FIXTURE, MAIN HEADL    1    89.79
11    997-504-888-01        RUBBER STOP, GAS DOO    1    2.09
12    997-201-667-00        CUFF, FILLER NECK    1    28.46
13    997 631 163 23        Headlamp f left        1    1200
14    997 631 164 23        Headlamp F Right    1    1200
15    997 511 151 01        Front bonnet hing Left    1    125.00
16    997 511 152 01        Front bonnet hing     1    125.00

This does not include your front bumper that you choose.

I ran a TECHART STYLE FRONT BUMPER from precision porsche that was $ 1695.00

http://precisionporsche.com/techart-style-front-bumper-133-pd.html

I purchased my headlamps from ebay for $950 for a used pair.

Also purchased bonnet hinges with shocks for $95.

You can find some of the other parts on ebay too, but I would get new Porsche fenders and bonnet.

My local body shop, Denver Auto Body & Paint is giving me an amazing price on fitment and labor.

Note that the 997 inner fender will need to be trimmed/missaged to fit. That is the only obsticle.

I hope this all helps you out.

• Upvote 1

That is suprising, except for someone chosing an auto I've seen a few threads saying that the 997.1 Turbo was the best.

...local Porsche tech and other local Porsche shop told me to get a Gen2 or a 996 as the Gen 1 had a LOT of issues...

Edited by 987_RDC

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you guys are right. I will get some Techart formula wheels instead. (ps. I like the simplicity of the 996 interior vs. The interior of the 997)

Interesting discussion.  IMHO the rear-end of the 996 C4S is the finest ever on a Porsche.  Others will differ...

I'm getting used to the front end, and have actually embraced the whole 996 as just a fun car that saved Porsche.  Agree about the 997 interior....

At first I thought you were posting this up in jest, but then I realized that I had these same thoughts myself years ago.  I saw one "conversion" here that had actually painted over the headlight surround to match the old 993 look.

My own personal solution was to convert up to a Carrera GT.

More seriously, I'd forget the Techart wheels and look at RHAlurad.  Especially the Turbo-P's.  Or just stick with the factory Turbo Twists.

Whatever.  Enjoy.  You really can't go wrong whatever you decide to do.  Some of the fun is in just considering all these options anyway.

Cheers.