Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Winter Storage Jack up the car

I need to storage the car for winter, I would like to jack the car up and put four stands under it (so that I don't have flat spot on the tires), when I look at the bottom of the car, I can't find any other spot to put the stands beside the one that I use to jack up the car.

Please let me know after I jack the car up (using the prosche factory recommanded spot), where should I put the stands?

Thanks

I need to storage the car for winter, I would like to jack the car up and put four stands under it (so that I don't have flat spot on the tires), when I look at the bottom of the car, I can't find any other spot to put the stands beside the one that I use to jack up the car.

Please let me know after I jack the car up (using the prosche factory recommanded spot), where should I put the stands?

Thanks

Thomas:

Read the following thread, it should answer all of your questions:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...pic=3404&hl

Be careful!

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

It is very easy to prevent flat-spotting. Just inflate tires to 58-60 PSI with good dry air (from a tire store vs the gas station). Then, every month, move the car (by hand) about 6-12 inches, and then back again the following month. Any flat spots in the Spring, will come right out within a few miles and a good heat cycle.

I have stored old cars and race cars for decades, and never store them on jacks. Why? Because that lets the suspension droop and stay in a place where it is NOT designed to be for long periods.

Bushings are put in stress when the suspension in in full droop, that should not be in that position for that long.

Also, strut or shock tubes are exposed to air where they normally aren't.

I have had 30 year old cars on 20 year old tires sit in one spot for 6 months and when I take them out for a drive, the flat spots go away after two or three miles. Never had a tire flat spot permanently. Newer tires are even better about that.

And one other thing, for cars that sit for long periods, do NOT start them up once a week or once in a while unless you can get them out and drive them for 15-20 minutes at least. What happens is you get moisture from condensation in the engine crankcase and exhaust that doesn't have time to go away with heat. Condensation will kill an exhaust system and can harm the insides of your engine.

Better to let it sit till you can really drive it.

Don

Edited by dynodon

White987S is correct. I do the same and never had flat spots.

My 2001 Boxster owners manual says not to lift the suspension off the ground. You are exposing shock rods etc. that normally isn't exposed and may cause corrosion on the exposed surfaces.

It is very easy to prevent flat-spotting. Just inflate tires to 58-60 PSI with good dry air (from a tire store vs the gas station). Then, every month, move the car (by hand) about 6-12 inches, and then back again the following month. Any flat spots in the Spring, will come right out within a few miles and a good heat cycle.