Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield replacement

This past weekend I took a direct hit by a stone to the windshield which left a dime sized bruise directly in the drivers vision. :censored:

I know there are some methods to slow (or possibly stop) the spread of spider cracks, but this mark is annoying to say the least, very distracting as it is right in the middle of your vision as you look directly ahead.

Are the windshields in a cabriolet replaced sooner because of such damage because they form such an integral part of the safety structure of the car? What are Porsche's recommendation on windshield damage?

Thanks

This past weekend I took a direct hit by a stone to the windshield which left a dime sized bruise directly in the drivers vision. :censored:

I know there are some methods to slow (or possibly stop) the spread of spider cracks, but this mark is annoying to say the least, very distracting as it is right in the middle of your vision as you look directly ahead.

Are the windshields in a cabriolet replaced sooner because of such damage because they form such an integral part of the safety structure of the car? What are Porsche's recommendation on windshield damage?

Thanks

It is not clear to me if "bruise" means just a smudge or a "star" in your field of vision. If there is a star it's time for a new windshield. No easy fix. May be covered under your comp insurance. Many companies will waive your deductible on this.

Bruise, a small moon shaped damage... could be called a bullseye?

I took it to a shop that repairs such damages, turns out there was 2 hits about 1/4" apart, one resulted in the bruise, the other a small star. They applied the resin and cured it, the bruise is almost invisible but the star is still quite visible. They explained that the star is the most difficult to repair as the crack is very tight and most times the resin will not flow into the tightest portion near the outer ends of the star.

The windshield tech said since the damage is directly in the field of vision insurance would cover it if I decided to make a claim, but that I would have to pay the deductable.

From what I understand, if you can cover the damage with a quarter (about 2 cm diameter), then it is generally considered repairable. Unless it is in your primary field of vision. Then, I think they are inclined to do one of the following: 1.) replace the entire windscreen, or 2.) attempt a repair and evaluate the visual anomaly before deciding whether to replace the windscreen.

Now, in my latest experience, which was very recently, I was asked if I could cover the damage with a dollar bill. I took that to mean that improved repair techniques have stretched the ability to repair larger damage.

If you are using insurance, it is often entirely up to you whether to repair or replace, no matter where the damage is located or how bad it is. Many insurance companies waive deductibles and fees for repairs. Check your policy. I have had numerous repairs by Safelite over the years with very good experience--none done on the glass right in front of me, though, which could be quite annoying in the end, I think.

As for the structural issue, the bead of glazing that affixes the windscreen to the frame is quite sizable and somewhat flexible; therefore, how much strength is afforded to the vehicle from the windscreen seems negligible. For 996, the windscreens are the same for coupes and cabriolets (excluding options like rain sensor, diversity antenna, tinting, etc.).

--Brian

Thanks for the replies, I drove around a bit yesterday and all the while I could see the repair, it is noticiable/annoying but it was the first day.

I think that I will drive it a bit longer before I decide, I really hate the thought of all of the problems that could arise during a windshield replacement, but if the star crack expands or the repair continues to drive me nuts I'll check into the replacement.

AFAIK I have full replacement insurance for the first 3 years ( 1 year to go) so at least any repair will be all OEM Porsche.

One well-placed "fist pump" and your insurance company won't give you a hassle. :-)

Seriously, though, if you think it's borderline and want it done, put on some gloves and apply firm steady pressure on one of the runs, and then move thew pressure to follow it as it runs out.

• 4 weeks later...
On my DDs, I have had these types of resin repairs done with great success.

Do you or others have a recommendation for a "brand" of this service? I just bought a used 997 and had my first windshield chip in thirty years a week after I got it. It's very small and in the passenger side, so a repair is the way I want to go. Thanks! Bob

Do you or others have a recommendation for a "brand" of this service? I just bought a used 997 and had my first windshield chip in thirty years a week after I got it. It's very small and in the passenger side, so a repair is the way I want to go. Thanks! Bob

Most windshield replacement shops should offer this service, some even do the repair for free (mine did) as they want you to remember the service and come to then when the windshield needs replacment. The shop I called that chraged for this service wanted $85 to repair one chip.

Edited by Westcoaster

Most windshield replacement shops should offer this service, some even do the repair for free (mine did) as they want you to remember the service and come to then when the windshield needs replacment. The shop I called that chraged for this service wanted $85 to repair one chip.

I ended up buying a Permatex windshield repair kit yesterday and tackled it myself. I didn't expect it to eliminate the chip, and it didn't -- I think those claims are unrealistic. My goal was to fill the very small void to keep it from spreading. It's filled and smooth to the touch now, and the vacuum syringe procedure seemed to do the job.

Only time will tell if the resin remains in place and prevents future problems.

My insurance company (USAA) waves the deductible for repairs vs replacements. And they set-up an in-my-garage replacement for $100.00 for wife's Grand Cherokee a few years ago.

A small crack or star can expand dramatically. Especially when temp changes significantly. That is what happened to the Jeep. Small star in morning, spread to :censored: huge crack overnite as temp dropped.

Hope you repair holds! But you might want a pro to look at it.

• 3 weeks later...
My insurance company (USAA) waves the deductible for repairs vs replacements. And they set-up an in-my-garage replacement for $100.00 for wife's Grand Cherokee a few years ago.

A small crack or star can expand dramatically. Especially when temp changes significantly. That is what happened to the Jeep. Small star in morning, spread to :censored: huge crack overnite as temp dropped.

Hope you repair holds! But you might want a pro to look at it.

It's a porsche!...good god, spend the three hundred bucks, and have a new wind screen. Ghetto any other way