Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

6th Gear Push to Lube

Hello guys I have a 99 C2 with a 6 speed tranny. I store my car over winter, and was wondering if you put the car in 6th gear are you able to push the car, and will that lubricate the cylinder walls?? If so, this seems like a great idea before the first start up in spring? Has any one done this on a Carrera?

Edited by waterboy

Don't "suck some tranny fluid into the intake". Just leave well enough alone, why risk damage to your engine/emission system by soaking them in oil.

There is no risk to the engine or emission system. Very common practice which has been done for more than 40 years. It's the same as adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the engine.

Hmm, does seem kind of odd with the airflow meter if the oil gets on it you have a good probability of it paying you back next spring?

I run 2 cycle in my gas from time to time for the purpouse of lubing, conditioning, and cleaning the system. I am sure with a carb you would be just fine or even a draft meter but these new diodee thingies. I would not go there I have heard of people having issues because of the oil from thier filters getting on the AFM diodee thingee.

As for the putting into 6th, eh? Hmm it might work for lubing the mains, but picture a liquid pump designed to operate between 1,000 and 7,000 RPM's Now picture it operationg at 5 RPM's? If you are capable of pushing the car at a rate to match 1,000 RPM's, PLEASE forgive me you wonderful person. If not bump the key, There will be oil that has not burned off on the rings and it will ensure you do not damage the cylinders. They are spec'd very tight and idle will not prematurely wear out your sleeves. So rest easy and use Fuel stabilizer.

Disclaimer: This statement is intended to treat, cure, diagnose or prevent any disease.

So smoke'em if you got 'em

Hmm, does seem kind of odd with the airflow meter if the oil gets on it you have a good probability of it paying you back next spring?

I run 2 cycle in my gas from time to time for the purpouse of lubing, conditioning, and cleaning the system. I am sure with a carb you would be just fine or even a draft meter but these new diodee thingies. I would not go there I have heard of people having issues because of the oil from thier filters getting on the AFM diodee thingee.

Why would you get any oil on the MAF when I suggested sucking the oil into the intake? The intake begins at the throttlebody. I did not suggest putting oil in the air cleaner.

Why would you get any oil on the MAF when I suggested sucking the oil into the intake? The intake begins at the throttlebody. I did not suggest putting oil in the air cleaner.

My Apologies, I assumed that you needed the MAF for the car to run. I also did not know the intake begins at the throttle body. You learn something new everyday here. So what is it that the AFM is a part of fuel injection? I usually have to sketch it into my ram air systems that I build? It seems that it is popular to push the car after storing, oddly I haven't seen anyone do it to their race cars that they store for the winter. The only topic that ever came up was ensuring that the fuel was either out or stabilized. But if it keeps your concious clear then all the best and when my engine goes I'll remember to do it next time. :D

Sorry for the confusion.

• Moderators

White, start your engine after the winter with removed fuel pump fuse ( approx. 10 sec. ) till oil pressure is present, install the fuse and fire up the engine, easy to do and effective. Add synthetic 2 stroke oil ( 1cc per liter fuel ) in the gas tank, on your last run before the winter and let the engine not running before spring is come

White, start your engine after the winter with removed fuel pump fuse ( approx. 10 sec. ) till oil pressure is present, install the fuse and fire up the engine, easy to do and effective. Add synthetic 2 stroke oil ( 1cc per liter fuel ) in the gas tank, on your last run before the winter and let the engine not running before spring is come

No thanks. I'll do that to my weed wacker!!

No thanks. I'll do that to my weed wacker!!

RFM Not alot of people know what leaded gas was all about and it sounds crazy to them to add 2 cycle oil to their gas for the purpouse of lubing the seals, cleaning out the injectors and such. But I know of an assorted few did it with too much oil and fouled their o2 sensors and now they choose not to do it either. A friend asked about what to do to clean out his system and such I told him to add a pint of generic 2 stroke to a full tank of gas. He added a quart to half a tank, of course he is one of those guys who is too important to himself to really listen to what anyone has to say. I might add that he saw me using rubbing compound and a clay bar on my paint and loved what it did so he bought himself some heavy duty rubbing compound, and screwed his paint up, bad. One of these days he'll figure it out.

Good info used improperly.

Just drive it year around.

Tuscon huh, must be nice. I got caught off guard by a flash freeze coming home from the movies. I was driving on the interstate and all of a sudden I started hearing this grumbling sound. I rolled the window down, and slowly let off the gas, 2.5 360's later I was in the grassy gully of a median facing the wrong way watching tractor trailers, RVs, busses all in the left lane and coming at me doing 70mph. The girlfriend in the car with me got real quiet and just stayed there as she knows me well. It was at that point I decided I was going to go with all season tires on my car. Luckily an extremely brave tow truck driver chained up to my front tow eye and got me out of there. The chains did a bit of a number on my bumper cover, but I did not care I told the tow guy it was well worth it, thanked him and gave him a $20 tip. Oddly having 10 years in Special Ops with 2nd Battalion Rangers, I have done alot of hardcore things, but joe blow was my hero that night. if just one driver would of hit their brakes it could of been one hell of a mess. All the traction control in the world adds up to approximately D!@%, on black ice with 295 P-zero's. So on the behalf of yankee's everywhere. No. ;)

Edited by ViolaGT3