Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

12 v supply for camper trailer

Hi,

I am looking to add an auxilary 12v outlet to supply power to my camper trailer to power the refrigerator while towing with my 2003 Cayenne Turbo.

The trailer already has an Anderson plug setup (a large grey plug with 50A capacity) wired directly to the fridge which is located on the towing hitch next to the regular 7 pin round plug for stop lights brakes etc.

Normally these Anderson plug set-ups are connected directly to the towing vehicle's main battery (through the appropriate fuses and isolating relay to switch it off when the car is not running).

With the main battery being in such as painful location in these cars (under the seat-what were they thinking!), has anyone tried using the jump start terminals under the hood?

Otherwise has anyone done anything similar? The 20A outlets in the back do not supply enough juice to keep the fridge going, it will just melt the wiring.

BTW-For those of you who don't know what a camper trailer is go to www.jayco.com.au and click on camper trailers. (I think they are a peculiarly Australian invention, didn't see a single one on my recent coast-to-coast driving holiday of the USA!).

I am getting ready for a super Ozzie off-road driving holiday and want my beer to stay cold! When camped the fridge runs on gas so no battery drain there.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas from the forum.

Cheers

Darrin Smith

Whats the amp rating of the fridge ?

don't Fosters make and adapter ;-)

Hi,

I am looking to add an auxilary 12v outlet to supply power to my camper trailer to power the refrigerator while towing with my 2003 Cayenne Turbo.

The trailer already has an Anderson plug setup (a large grey plug with 50A capacity) wired directly to the fridge which is located on the towing hitch next to the regular 7 pin round plug for stop lights brakes etc.

Normally these Anderson plug set-ups are connected directly to the towing vehicle's main battery (through the appropriate fuses and isolating relay to switch it off when the car is not running).

With the main battery being in such as painful location in these cars (under the seat-what were they thinking!), has anyone tried using the jump start terminals under the hood?

Otherwise has anyone done anything similar? The 20A outlets in the back do not supply enough juice to keep the fridge going, it will just melt the wiring.

BTW-For those of you who don't know what a camper trailer is go to www.jayco.com.au and click on camper trailers. (I think they are a peculiarly Australian invention, didn't see a single one on my recent coast-to-coast driving holiday of the USA!).

I am getting ready for a super Ozzie off-road driving holiday and want my beer to stay cold! When camped the fridge runs on gas so no battery drain there.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas from the forum.

Cheers

Darrin Smith

The fridge is rated 125W at 12V. That seems to only work out at about 10A (ie 125/12=10.416), however the caravan place insists that it needs a heavy duty draw directly from the battery.

The fridge is here http://www.dometic.com/enau/Asia-Pacific/A...uctdataid=68627

I'll give you a tip on Fosters, they export it cause no self-respecting Aussie would drink that rubbish! I can't even remember the last time I saw it for sale at a bar :-)

Thanks again!

Darrin Smith

Whats the amp rating of the fridge ?

don't Fosters make and adapter ;-)

Thats probably to avoid motor startup current problems which may blow the fuse on the outlet in the back, but as thats cheap I would try it to see what happens. If it works for a day then I would use that. You can get from there to the outside using a grommet in the rear on the same side as the CDC, thats where the tow wiring goes.

Based on my trailer experience, I use propane during traveling and it's much better than electric. Even for long ride from Montreal to Florida (25hrs driving time) On my previous car (not the cayenne) I burned two alternator in 2 years when I used electric fridge with another electric cooler in the trunk. I suggest also to check your deep cylcle battery beacause a dead one can take an extra electric load on your car. Have a nice trip to america.

post-23860-1228023164_thumb.jpg