Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 996 C2 Cab-Where do I get a new engine?

My engine let go yesterday with no warning with 68k miles. Now i'm one of the casualties of the 996 failures. Oil in the coolant resevoir an water in the crankcase :angry:

I do not have an extended warranty :huh:

My question is what are my options for a new one? What is the cost? What places do I contact to look for one? New? Used? Rebuilt?

Anyone who has shared this experience please let me know how they handled it and their advice.

Thanks in advance.

Phillipj

My engine let go yesterday with no warning with 68k miles. Now i'm one of the casualties of the 996 failures. Oil in the coolant resevoir an water in the crankcase :angry:

I do not have an extended warranty :huh:

My question is what are my options for a new one? What is the cost? What places do I contact to look for one? New? Used? Rebuilt?

Anyone who has shared this experience please let me know how they handled it and their advice.

Thanks in advance.

Phillipj

First pick up the December edition of Excellence (Mag about Porsche Cars) from Barnes and Noble. Great article about the m96 motors.

You could do www.car-part.com and buy a motor from a wrecker. Problem is you will end up with a ticking time bomb.

Or if your engine isn't too badly damaged you can get it rebuilt. Figure $10,000 for a rebuilt unit. But that will last you till you get

a new car.

http://www.flat6innovations.com/

http://www.lnengineering.com/

Phillip

You have my sympathy. I had exactly the same issue at 58k miles. Mine was a cracked cylinder head. There are options but it could be worth checking with Porsche what they would charge for a new engine with warranty. Alternatively set fire to it or push it in a river/lake.

I had mine done in the UK with Autofarm and you don't want to ask what it cost - then double it to get dollars!

I was selling the car - not just bought it like you. Porsche are just so culpable here and they basically tell you to get lost.

Try this site and www.autofarm.co.uk or www.hartech.org.uk

There's lots of info - the trouble is you really need ot strip the engine to find the problem and at that stage - you're half way or more to a new engine.

Get some quotes - the good news about the Porsche price is it includes a warranty and will be fully done with all new bits.

IT SUCKS!

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at my options. A rebuild or a new one. I really can't sell the car because it would be a total loss.

Wish I still had my old 99 (which was trouble free) but unfortunetly I crashed it and totaled it.

Well I can't change what happened. I'm a bit hesitant to go with the new Porsche motor with a one year warranty. It could do the same thing after one year.

Looking to a similar fix like you did. There are a couple bulders here in So Cal that rebuild and fix the weaknesses inherent in Porsches design.

It's only money.. It's not like I have Cancer. Really pi$$es me off though.

Love it. We sound like kindred spirits. I was trying to sell the car when my engine wnt and had actually lent the car to a colleague whilst I was on holiday. he was traumatised - but as you say - no-one died. I did replace the engine, sold the car and bought a Ferrari 360 - it;s not like I didn't like the new 997 I just wanted Porsche to know that I am unhappy with them and will tell as many people as possible. However the credit crisis must be killing them more.

The new engines seem bullet proof by the way and Porsche will almos certainly stand by a ew engine for a coupel of years if it goes again which is unlikely.

My motto - some people on the Titanic didn't take a dessert - trying to keep off the pounds! - life is not a rehearsal!

Keep me posted.

There's a guy here in the US that rebuilt his M96 Boxster S engine. I believe he had a cracked head, not a D-chunk failure (that seems to be your problem).

He documented his quest on

. Not sure if you are the kind of handyman that it takes to do a project like this, but it certainly sounds attractive: Less than $3K for parts, special tools and some outsourced work vs. $12-15K for a rebuilt factory engine.

I am actually looking for a 3.4L M96 engine to do the project myself... Just in case my 2006 rebuilt blows up.

Joost

There's a guy here in the US that rebuilt his M96 Boxster S engine. I believe he had a cracked head, not a D-chunk failure (that seems to be your problem).

. Not sure if you are the kind of handyman that it takes to do a project like this, but it certainly sounds attractive: Less than $3K for parts, special tools and some outsourced work vs. $12-15K for a rebuilt factory engine.

I am actually looking for a 3.4L M96 engine to do the project myself... Just in case my 2006 rebuilt blows up.

Joost

Maybe you can buy mine lol! I'll give you the "pancake batter" in the crankcase and cooling system for no extra charge.... Seriously, thanks for the great info.

Phillipj

Joost

Maybe you can buy mine lol! I'll give you the "pancake batter" in the crankcase and cooling system for no extra charge.... Seriously, thanks for the great info.

Phillipj

I wish you wisdom in making an informed decision.

In any case, I am open to discuss buying your fried engine. I believe a core charge of around 500 bucks is the going rate these days, depending on the issues it has.

Joost

Joost

Phillipj

I wish you wisdom in making an informed decision.

In any case, I am open to discuss buying your fried engine. I believe a core charge of around 500 bucks is the going rate these days, depending on the issues it has.

Joost

I'll let you know what happens. If I have th e swap to a 3.6 done the 3.4 will be part of the deal and core will be discounted fom my overall cost.

Phillip