Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bumper plugs.... looking for ideas

I have all the supplies to paint my car color on plastic, so I contacted BumperPlugs.com and asked to buy unpainted plugs and do them myself along with painting the rear bumperetts. They refuse to sell the plugs unfinished. Probably because they corner the market.

Does anyone have another idea for creating bumper plugs?

My car is a dark color, so the holes really don't show much worse than a pair of plugs. If the car wire a light color I would have paid the $34 (w/shipping) in an instant long ago.

Thanks, Bob

suncoast has unpainted ones on closeout.... (along w/ a few rare colors)

Unpainted Black Plugs $7.96 ea

That being said, if you're ordering paint to match (i.e Paintscratch.com) you might just want to pony up the $35 and be done w/ it (you can still have the beer when you finish installing them though :D).

:)

Fantastic.........! Just ordered a pair (the $7.96 is the pair price). Shipping cost more than the plugs at $8.55 (I guess they are really heavy plugs :lol: )

I have the paint supplies (yeah, primers for plastic etc) to do my bumperettes, so I'll just do these at the same time. You saved me around $20. Thanks very much. Now I can afford that turbo setup :D

Bumperplug.com claims a 16 step paint process!!! I'll add screwing them up and repainting, getting a few beers and taking a nature call and come up with a 20 step process!!!!!!

Some would say that $20 isn't much savings.......but I doubt there is a reader that there is not a reader who wouldn't chase a $20 bill blowing in the wind.

Bob

Sounds like you found a solution, but I thought I'd share something I picked up at the auto parts store near me.

These were miss-shelved, but appear to be child seat replacement parts. I couldn't find any more packages in the store but this is/was a box of 12 plugs for about $6.

They fit perfectly to cover the holes in my bumper and I sprayed them with silver Krylon paint for plastic that I already had to match my Arctic Silver.

I'm sure the Krylon isn't a perfect match for A S but on such a small item with a convex shape it’s not noticeable. I wouldn't recommend this for larger items like the bumperettes, as the color mismatch will be noticeable, not to mention the lack of a flex additive.

Larger auto parts stores may also carry misc. plastic plugs for significantly less $$ than the dealer.

post-6440-1228337467_thumb.jpg

post-6440-1228337476_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you found a solution, but I thought I'd share something I picked up at the auto parts store near me.

These were miss-shelved, but appear to be child seat replacement parts. I couldn't find any more packages in the store but this is/was a box of 12 plugs for about $6.

They fit perfectly to cover the holes in my bumper and I sprayed them with silver Krylon paint for plastic that I already had to match my Arctic Silver.

I'm sure the Krylon isn't a perfect match for A S but on such a small item with a convex shape it’s not noticeable. I wouldn't recommend this for larger items like the bumperettes, as the color mismatch will be noticeable, not to mention the lack of a flex additive.

Larger auto parts stores may also carry misc. plastic plugs for significantly less $$ than the dealer.

Why didn't I think of that..........? Auto parts stores do have a veriety of plastic plugs for various OEM interior and exterior repairs. That would be a good place to look. By the way, I have that identical silver Krylon paint used to do some trim work on an Infiniti plastic engine cover that was modified to accomodate a plenum mod. It works great. Sticks like crazy and had no problem with the engine heat.

The BumperPlug.com guys should be willing to sell unfinished plugs. If we screw 'em up when painting they can have two sales, instead on one when we go back to order painted ones.

Bob

Good thread,

After I was reading this thread, I was at Home Depot. I saw the bin in the hardware section that said "plastic plugs" (it's where they sell the loose hardware)

I said to myself "No, this ain't right" but I bought them anyway.

They came 2 to a pack and were white. (.54 cents)

I put some touch up paint on them and I have to say, not bad.

the only thing is that I bought the wrong size 1/4 inch. I should have bought 3/8.

I will, at .54 cents you can't go wrong. The way I look at it, it only has to look good from a distance.

I will post a picture after I get the new plugs.

Thanks again for the insights.

Edited by Halo

Good thread,

After I was reading this thread, I was at Home Depot. I saw the bin in the hardware section that said "plastic plugs" (it's where they sell the loose hardware)

I said to myself "No, this ain't right" but I bought them anyway.

They came 2 to a pack and were white. (.54 cents)

I put some touch up paint on them and I have to say, not bad.

the only thing is that I bought the wrong size 1/4 inch. I should have bought 5/16.

I will, at .54 cents you can't go wrong. The way I look at it, it only has to look from a distance.

I will post a picture after I get the new plugs.

Thanks again for the insights.

This is getting better and better........After a few more guys post here we'll probably be getting them for free with the color of our choice!!!!!! lol Can't wait to go to Home Depot and check these out (although I already bought the discounted ones from Suncoast.)

When I ordered mine, they came in the mail; I looked and thought "I just spent $35 for two little pieces of painted plastic?"

Sometimes it pays to think before you hit the order key.

Edited by jmatta

As promised, here are my plugs.

post-12447-1228698641_thumb.jpg

here is what the package looked like at Home Depot.

post-12447-1228698701_thumb.jpg

applied some touch up paint and clear.

post-12447-1228698746_thumb.jpgpost-12447-1228698771_thumb.jpg

here is what it looks like finished. not bad for .54 cents (not including touch up paint)

save yourself some cash.

Halo :cheers: