Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuel Injector Cleaner?

Any recommendations on fuel injector cleaner? I was told Techron is good. How often should it be used? A rep at the local auto parts store said, that to be very careful in using Fuel injector cleaners, such as Techron, because is could ruin your engine. Could something like Techron, set off any codes? Thanks everyone!!!!

• Admin

I've been using Techron for about 5 years with no ill effects. I use one large bottle with a full tank of gas about every 6000 miles. I think it helps reduce and clean the carbon build up on the intake side - hence smoother idling. JMHO.

A rep at the local auto parts store said, that to be very careful in using Fuel injector cleaners, such as Techron, because is could ruin your engine.  Could something like Techron, set off any codes?

Techron is great for cleaning out carbon & gum deposits but reported having issues with oil contamination. Just to be safe, do the treatment right BEFORE oil change. So far, I have not setting off any engine codes. :cheers:

• Moderators

I do not use fuel additives. If you want to have some fun search under Techron on this board. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php Most additives are mostly kerosene.

In the Bay Area all gas stations, including independents, get their gas from the same refinery. The only thing different is the additive package. If you like the Techron brand then buy Chevron fuel. Techron is just a name and all the petrochemical companies know what each other is using.

A friend owns a brand name gas station in San Jose, and I was there when the no name tanker showed up to dump a load. He briefly told me about the mystery of fuel, and what a customer thinks is not what happens in the Bay Area. He is thinking of changing to an independent station. One of these days I will sit down and get all the details.

Rather than using an injector cleaner, I recommend using Shell Optimax gas in our P-Cars. I understand this is being launched / has just been launched in the US under the name 'V-power'. If it mirrors the product available here in the UK it will make a very big difference to how your car runs for a couple of reasons:

1) Optimax has a mix of additives that both cleans injectors and removes deposits from inlet valves improving performance but acts continuously unlike an occasional dose of injector cleaner. A UK magazine tested this claim a year or so ago using a bore scope to look at the deposits on inlet valves both before and after 1 month running on the Shell gas. In all cases the inlet valve deposits had all but disappeared.

2) The UK version of the product (Optimax) is 98-RON. As I understand it, most US pump gas is normally 93-RON (standard UK pump gas is 95). According to the owners manual for my MY99 C4, the maps in the ECU are designed to produce the car's rated power using 98-RON gas. If the RON is lower than this, the knock sensors back-off the timing as required to prevent knocking (and engine damage) but lowering power and (in particular) low end torque as aresult. If the US 'V-Power' version of Shell's product is also 98-RON you will see a very noticeable performance increase from using it. I have noticed a significant difference against normal UK 95-RON fuel.

Please note however that you will need to reset your ECU to take accont of the higher octane fuel. I would suggest filling the tank with V-Power, running until the tank is almost empty and re-filling with V-Power. This will get rid of older, lower octane fuel from the system. Then disconnect the -ve battery lead for a few seconds - that will reset the ECU. Fire the car up (you may notice a slightly lumpy tickover for a while as the system re-calibrates) and then enjoy!

Ian W

PS For clarity, I have no connection with Shell, just a happy customer.