Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Good deals on porsche short shifter

• Moderators

That is interesting. It is the XCZ option. They use what looks like the normal plastic bushings on the normal shift lever.

This is the Porsche short shift retrofit kit we put in. The plastic bushings have metal shells with the adjustment set screw on the front bushing.

post-2-1089715346_thumb.jpg

I got it last night and I will try to install it tonight. The housing looks just like the original ones. This factory short shifter suppose to be 33% shorter than the stock. I believe B&M is 40%. I like this unit better than the B&M since it's short shifter with the housing unit. I don't have to worry about removing the old shifter and trying to put the B&M shifter in to the housing.

• Moderators

We covered this last year when our local group put in the Porsche short shift retrofit kit on a C4S. Our local group has also put in many of the B&M units. Except for some minor cosmetic differences they are identical.

B&M claims 35%. Porsche also claims 35% when they sell it as an option. The Porsche instructions however claim 37%. I measured the throws on the Porsche unit and came up with 36.85%. There is play in the cables so it is hard to get an exact measurement. As far as I am concerned they are identical.

I would like to see some better pictures of the plastic bushings that are being used. Maybe you can take a few pictures and send them to me. Jeff

I would like to see some better pictures of the plastic bushings that are being used.  Maybe you can take a few pictures and send them to me.  Jeff

I will post some pictures tonight when I go home today.

There is a porsche code number on top of the housing unit. I've got first three set number but rest is hidden under the console.

It's 996 424 983

Edited by boxer6

• Moderators

The part number is 996 424 983 00. Interesting that they use oem style bushings.

The only difference between what boxer6 bought and the Porsche/B&M retrofit kit is that the shift unit is preassembled in the shift tower. And the different bushings with no adjustment set screw.

These are the parts for the Porsche retrofit unit.

post-2-1089909332_thumb.jpg

boxer6

Was the installation pretty much a plug and play, or did you have to make any adjustments?

I ordered one the other day.

Thanks

It was very simple.

Here is the steps that I took. (I used B&M installation guide)

1) Remove shifter boot. (I found out it's easier removing from bottom back) There should be one screw you have to remove.

2) Take out three screws from glove compartment. One underneat rubber pad. One under the coin holder. One under after removing plastic bottom.

3) Take out the ashtray and there are two plastic screws (I had to hinge with swiss army knife to take it out. Otherwise it just spins)

4) Take out the piece with buttons. There is a light wire, and windows switch wires that you have to remove.

5) There should be one screw you have to remove.

6) You have to remove two side pad next to the bottom front center console. (cd holder part)

7) To remove bat wing, there are small hole or opening on top side of the bat wing and I put my finger there and pull it out.

8) To remove center console, it's easier if passenger side seat is flat down. Becareful with the brake handle cover. Remove the tap on top side first and gently lift up. If you try to remove it from bottom first than you might break the tap. Warning: there is a wire at goes into the console. I almost rip it out by mistake.

9) There are four screws that holds the shifter housing and two clips that holds the two shifter cable. Before removing the cable, count or mark the position of the screw holes. For mine, it was position 8 on left cable and position 4 on right cable.(counting from left side)

10) put the new unit and reverse it back.

Hope this help

boxer6

Did you get a set of installation instructions with your shifter?

Thanks

No, I only got the shifter by itself also. I had to get the B&M installation guide to remove the center console. Once the console was out, rest was pretty easy.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...