Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

battery maintainer quesstion

2000 C2 Carrera.

My battery is completely dead. Cant open trunk or engine compartment.

Forgot to mention that the engine is dead so I don't need to start the car. Just need to open the trunk or engine compartment.

I recently ordered the Porsche battery maintainer. I recieved it yesterday an plugged it in over night. Went to the garage this morning and nothing.... The light was still red on the power source (it supposed to turn off when there is a full charge.)

This maintainer plugs into the lighter socket. I there somthing special I have to do? Does the key need to be in the "accessory" position to make it work?

The instructions just say to plug into lighter socket..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

post-7267-1232037377.jpg

Edited by phillipj

I doubt that a battery maintainer would be able to charge a dead battery. What you can do, if you don't want to but a battery charger, is take the battery to a local auto parts store (like Autozone or Kragen) and they will check and charge your battery for free. Then you can use your battery maintainer to keep it charged.

Oscar

I doubt that a battery maintainer would be able to charge a dead battery. What you can do, if you don't want to but a battery charger, is take the battery to a local auto parts store (like Autozone or Kragen) and they will check and charge your battery for free. Then you can use your battery maintainer to keep it charged.

Oscar

That is a bit too late for him as he cannot open the trunk.. no? Well, if you open it with another battery then sure or if you have manual gearshift just push it downhill and off you go... to the nearest Autozone

but just for reference I put battery charger (7A) to charge my half-dead battery (11V - so it was still able to start the engine but just barely) and it took about 24 hours to get it to a charged state. So tricle charge overnight is nothing...

Thanks,

I guess I expected a bit too much from the maintainer. By the way the engine in my car is dead. All I need to do is get the trunk open. I'm going to be towing it next week for the new engine install..

I also tried to fish out the cable release under the taillight for the engine compartment so I could charge the battery through the terminal in the back. Couldn't find the cable for that either.

I tried to find the emergency cable release under the front wheel well for the trunk but could not...

Pretty rediculous that you need a charged battery to get to the dead battery in a Porsche... :o :huh:

I think this car is going to drive me to drinking more heavily... :P

Thanks,

I guess I expected a bit too much from the maintainer. By the way the engine in my car is dead. All I need to do is get the trunk open. I'm going to be towing it next week for the new engine install..

I also tried to fish out the cable release under the taillight for the engine compartment so I could charge the battery through the terminal in the back. Couldn't find the cable for that either.

I tried to find the emergency cable release under the front wheel well for the trunk but could not...

Pretty rediculous that you need a charged battery to get to the dead battery in a Porsche... :o :huh:

I think this car is going to drive me to drinking more heavily... :P

There should be a positive terminal in fuse box in driver footwell (lookup in your manual at least there is one in my 03).

I bought one of the CTEK 7000 battery chargers (from Amazon, best price), which is a souped up version of Porsche's fancy battery maintainer. It claims to have a "supply" mode, described on their web site (http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Buy-US-Charger.aspx) as:

Thanks to its SUPPLY mode the battery charger provides power even without a battery. The SUPPLY mode is indispensable when changing the battery as you avoid losing complicated program settings

I haven't tried it, but since you're local and want to give it a go some weekend, I would be interested in getting together and finding out if it really works. It's a great battery maintainer and probably gross overkill for anything I need

I bought one of the CTEK 7000 battery chargers (from Amazon, best price), which is a souped up version of Porsche's fancy battery maintainer. It claims to have a "supply" mode, described on their web site (http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Buy-US-Charger.aspx) as:

Thanks to its SUPPLY mode the battery charger provides power even without a battery. The SUPPLY mode is indispensable when changing the battery as you avoid losing complicated program settings

I haven't tried it, but since you're local and want to give it a go some weekend, I would be interested in getting together and finding out if it really works. It's a great battery maintainer and probably gross overkill for anything I need

Thanks Geoff,

I appreciate your offer and will PM you

Phillip

There is a tech bulletin out that addresses trunk access with a dead battery on older models, basicly if you have a jump box or jumper cables that are long enough you can supply power to fuse c3. red lead to c3 and connect black lead to door striker, with a screw driver close the inner jamb lock (as if the door was closed), using remote lock and unlock doors and then pull open the black lever to get into front trunk. Porsche battery maintainers are just that maintainers and will not charge batterys but maintain the charge. I wouild recommend obtaining an automatic battery charger to charge up the vehicle at about 15 to 20 amps. Never use more than 50 amps while battery hooked up as this can and will cause control unit damage. Normally it will take at least 12 hours to completely charge a battery, amps should be reduced as charging coninues. svansyoc

Ohay I got the rear engine cover open. I fished out the cable from the taillight. Can I charge the battery from the connections in the engine compartment? I have tried the booster and was told by RFM it could damage my control boxes so I didn't pursue it.

Just need to charge the battery to get the trunk open.

Thanks

Ohay I got the rear engine cover open. I fished out the cable from the taillight. Can I charge the battery from the connections in the engine compartment? I have tried the booster and was told by RFM it could damage my control boxes so I didn't pursue it.

Thanks

Jump start the car from there.

Thanks

Jump start the car from there. EDIT: Never mind. I forgot your engine was not working.

Thanks

Use the battery from another car and hook it up with jumper cables to the engine compartment connections. That should give you enough juice to open the trunk.

Oscar