Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Special Edition calipers?

Hey there everyone, I was reading on Pedro's DIY site about caliper repainting and he mentioned that S models had red, some had yellow, some black, and "Special Editions" with gray calipers. I have gray calipers on mine ('00 non-S) and was wondering what the "Special Edition" was he was referring to.

As fas as I know, my car is a basic base model with not much special about it lol

thx

I have an '04 986S special edition that has silver calipers. This model year special edition was 50th anniversay of the spyder. The car is carerra GT silver, with two tone wheels also.

I think it started in 1995 with the 993's. The C4 got titanium calipers, The regular 993 C2 just had black. Red was reserved for the turbo or turbo look. If i remember correctly you could order painted calipers in your colour of choice.

i have a 2004 550 special edition

it has what look like unpainted calipers in grey and black stickers

it certainly doesn't have glossy paint on them like the base and the S

i have seen cars that have all the paint stripped/chipped off the calipers and they look gery too

aloha

steve

Hey there everyone, I was reading on Pedro's DIY site about caliper repainting and he mentioned that S models had red, some had yellow, some black, and "Special Editions" with gray calipers. I have gray calipers on mine ('00 non-S) and was wondering what the "Special Edition" was he was referring to.

As fas as I know, my car is a basic base model with not much special about it lol

thx

aluminum finish,,,

Yup eric & macsak were dead on, they were only on MY04 550 special edition 986S.

This is what they look like

post-23680-1233126390_thumb.jpg

celebrating the 50th birthday of the 550 Spyder by launching a 986S special edition limited to 1953 units.

production of the 986S was limited to 1953 units to commemorate the 550 Spyder's introduction at the 1953 Paris motor show. The drilled rotors have a diameter of 318mm at the front & 299mm at the rear.

Exclusively for this SE, the 4 piston aluminum calipers of monobloc design have an aluminum paint finish.

Edited by juniinc