Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need more information. :huh: By center console, do you mean the armrest between the driver and passenger seat? If so, this is a two part storage area. Are you having trouble opening the lower section or the top section now that you've closed it?

Bill B)

I don't have any great advice here...maybe someone else has encountered this problem, however, no other replies. I looked at my latch assembly on both the '06 and '08 and it is very simple...the problem is there is not a way to release in between the cover and storage area (e.g. latch locks below the console). The release will need to come from the assembly where the latch came apart (front of console at latch assembly). Have you checked with the dealer to see if they can provide you a schematic of the assembly? You might PM Loren or RJM to see if a schematic is available.

Good luck!

Bill

I don't have any great advice here...maybe someone else has encountered this problem, however, no other replies. I looked at my latch assembly on both the '06 and '08 and it is very simple...the problem is there is not a way to release in between the cover and storage area (e.g. latch locks below the console). The release will need to come from the assembly where the latch came apart (front of console at latch assembly). Have you checked with the dealer to see if they can provide you a schematic of the assembly? You might PM Loren or RJM to see if a schematic is available.

Good luck!

Bill

Dremel + 2 earth magnets. Fix it for $1100 less than replacement cost!

• 1 year later...

My 2003 53 cayenne 2

I had my house keys in the top centre armrest when it got stuck so i ended up breaking it appart, now its forced closed i cant use it, would be nice to know if it can be repaired (economically!!!)

I took mine to the dealer today, $100 later I have a broken latch. The technician said that is the only way to get in to them. I'm assuming he put some thin piece of metal into the release mechanism and then hit it with a hammer (the button you push to open it has just enough space above it to fit a putty knife or a credit card). That basically punched out the part that holds it in place, leave the part on the lid itself intact.

I'm going to purchase some suitable magnets from the hardware store so that the lid stays closed when it's down.

They told me you can't just buy that mechanism, you have to replace the whole thing and it would be $600+.

I took mine to the dealer today, $100 later I have a broken latch. The technician said that is the only way to get in to them. I'm assuming he put some thin piece of metal into the release mechanism and then hit it with a hammer (the button you push to open it has just enough space above it to fit a putty knife or a credit card). That basically punched out the part that holds it in place, leave the part on the lid itself intact.

I'm going to purchase some suitable magnets from the hardware store so that the lid stays closed when it's down.

They told me you can't just buy that mechanism, you have to replace the whole thing and it would be $600+.

The latch mechanism is available:

The part number for the latch is 955 552 698 00.

It retails for approx $42.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just waiting for the time I go in to the dealer for an issue and they tell me, "Sorry that part isn't available, you're going to need to replace the whole vehicle."