Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Wear Sensor

I noticed the Front Brake Wear Sensors are different (Left and Right has different lengths).

I am wondering if these Sensors are the same for Boxsters of a different driver layout, ie. Left Hand and Right Hand Drive.

My OBC tells me I need to change my Front Brake Pads, so I need to change them together with the sensors. How do I tell if I should change the Ventilated Discs as well? the car has done 32,000km Year 2006 and was factory fitted till now.

Is there any thing else I need to change such as the dampers plates and the expanding springs together with the pads change?

Thank you.

• Moderators

The wear sensors are the same for all 4 wheels. If you are careful, you can pull the old ones out of the old pads, and as long as they have not broken, reuse them on the new pads.

It is doubtful that you will need to change the rotors until between 100K and 200Km depending on how you drive the car.

If you remove the calipers to change the pads, you should at the minimum apply fresh loctite to the caliper bolts, or replace the bolts with fresh ones(that have a new loctite capsule in them).

Take a good look at your pads. If the wear sensor has not yet gone off, then you still have pad life left. 32,000 KM (20K miles) is not very much use, especially if you do not track the car. I am still on my original front pads at 65,000 miles (105,000 Km).

Chance are, your dealer is just looking to make a quick buck from you.

hi orient express,

The front brake pads are almost gone, guess i really have a heavy brake foot! guess I have to go easy on that to achieve your 100,000km distance on originals, I must say it's very impressive..

with regards to the loctite on the caliper bolts, I have absolute no idea what is that. . are u referring to adhesive on the caliper bolts?

I don't track my car but I guess one culprit could be that I am using a 19" Carrera S Wheels, wondering if that could be a cause for the excessive brake wear (maybe I am just not willing to admit to my heavy brake foot?

by the way, the brake sensors have different part numbers , namely -

Front L (997-612-755-00-M163)

Front R (997-612-757-00-M163) and

Rear L & R (987-612-676-01-M163)

as well as the pads part numbers

Front Brake Pads (987-351-939-03-M100)

Rear Brake Pads (987-352-939-01-M100)

could anyone verify all the part numbers are correct?

thank you guys.

hi orient express,

with regards to the loctite on the caliper bolts, I have absolute no idea what is that. . are u referring to adhesive on the caliper bolts?

Loctite is a liquid thread locker which comes in various strengths. The Red Loctite, for example, is "high strength" and is designed to bond the threads of a bolt together with the metal threads of its receptacle and is designed to not come apart, once it cures (24 hours) unless the parts are heated to 500 degrees F.

If you buy new bolts, they will come with the correct formula loctite already applied to the threads (micro-encapsulated) so that they don't vibrate loose, etc...

With respect to your rotors, there is a minimum thickness below which the rotors are supposed to be replaced. Check your manual (under "Specifications") and then you can measure the rotor's thickness. One easy way to "eyeball" it is to see how much of a "lip" there is on the rotor on its outer circumference. With your kind of mileage, it is highly unlikely that your rotors are worn, but it's easy enough to check.

Regards, Maurice.

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to change the brake pads and the sensors without doin anything else. the brakes seems to work fine. erm.. i hope there's nothing else I need to change as it seems to me that the rest of the parts still looks fine.

And as for the brake wear sensors, both sensors are of different part numbers and basically they are the same, just a minor difference in the facing of the sensor attachment to the pads itself is of the opposite direction. just for info.

thanks guys.