Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

JL Subwoofers under the dash?

So I called JL audio today and spoke to a tech support rep concerning good mounting locations for the subs they currently offer. He ended up calling one of his reps who had a 2000 Boxster S in which he said he mounted 2 6w3v3 subs (one under the passenger side dash, and one under the driver's side dash).

He said this is an ideal location because #1, it doesn't infringe upon foot space, and #2 they're out of sight which is ideal for the setup I'd like.

Curiously enough, I can't find any information where anyone has actually done this, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has attempted this or has any other info or pics so I can get an idea of where and how exactly these would be mounted. The rep on the phone indicated that small enclosures were also made to fit these subs. He said the sound produced from them in the boxster with this location setup was superb.

So I called JL audio today and spoke to a tech support rep concerning good mounting locations for the subs they currently offer. He ended up calling one of his reps who had a 2000 Boxster S in which he said he mounted 2 6w3v3 subs (one under the passenger side dash, and one under the driver's side dash).

He said this is an ideal location because #1, it doesn't infringe upon foot space, and #2 they're out of sight which is ideal for the setup I'd like.

Curiously enough, I can't find any information where anyone has actually done this, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has attempted this or has any other info or pics so I can get an idea of where and how exactly these would be mounted. The rep on the phone indicated that small enclosures were also made to fit these subs. He said the sound produced from them in the boxster with this location setup was superb.

If you go on to the Crutchfield website they list an enclosure volume of 0.15 cubic feet which is equivalent to a a 9" x 9" x 6" (3/4" mdf) enclosure. Not sure how you fit that kind of cube under the drivers side or passenger side dash. even if you flatten it out out the driver is over 4" deep. Sounds like a custom fiberglass enclosure to tuck in there. Seems like this storage tray sub-box might be a better way to go, if it ever moves forward.

If you go on to the Crutchfield website they list an enclosure volume of 0.15 cubic feet which is equivalent to a a 9" x 9" x 6" (3/4" mdf) enclosure. Not sure how you fit that kind of cube under the drivers side or passenger side dash. even if you flatten it out out the driver is over 4" deep. Sounds like a custom fiberglass enclosure to tuck in there. Seems like this storage tray sub-box might be a better way to go, if it ever moves forward.

There is a car audio shop in Redwood City, CA that makes a custom fiberglass subwoofer kit that mounts on the side of the passenger footwell. It isn't totally out of site, but it takes up very little space at least. I believe this place was Monney Car Audio.

Ya, I've known about the "monney" installation for some time, but it just doesn't seem to fit a "prime" location in my opinion. I'm going to run with the idea of modifying the rear speaker box. My windshield is being replaced as we speak right now, and then I'm going to run over to a local audio shop and show them my ideas and see what can be done.

The goal is take something similar to the article on the rear speaker box mold, and modify it to fit the 2 3.5" mid-range speakers I have + the 2 6.5" woofers from JL. I'm thinking they can be angled slightly and present through the middle. between the two hoops.

In a former car audio competition car of mine I installed an 8" sub under the dash. I assume you're talking about installing the sub just under the dash and firing down toward your feet. When I did this before (not in a Boxster) the sub was just mounted on a baffle board. I've checked the Boxster and I just don't think you have room for much of anything under the dash, let alone an enclosure! Just mounting a small sub on a baffle board is not going to sound good... Of course the guy from JL said it was great... he's a salesman trying to sell you a pair of subs!!!

Kirk

• 2 months later...

This picture is from another poster Chris who has an small active compact Kenwood subwoofer in the passenger footwell of his Boxster.....

I now have this same setup, and it <b>sounds great</b>! I'm using an a/d/s/ AB-308 8" compact powered sub.

The problem is, the box, which measures 13 x 10 x 2.5 inches, keeps sliding around as I accelerate........... does anyone know what would be the best way to mount the box in this location?

- Strong velcro?

- Drill holes through the floor?

- Lift the carpet somehow and put a piece of MDF wood underneath?

???

Anyone has advice?

Thanks!

9409_porsche_cars.jpg

Edited by yellowlemon

This picture is from another poster Chris who has an small active compact Kenwood subwoofer in the passenger footwell of his Boxster.....

I now have this same setup, and it <b>sounds great</b>! I'm using an a/d/s/ AB-308 8" compact powered sub.

The problem is, the box, which measures 13 x 10 x 2.5 inches, keeps sliding around as I accelerate........... does anyone know what would be the best way to mount the box in this location?

- Strong velcro?

???

Anyone has advice?

Thanks!

9409_porsche_cars.jpg

I have a custom 8" sub that was built by Jamey Rawlings who used to be with Paris Audio...It sounds awesome and I pound the h*ll out of it...e.g. mirrors vibrating, punchy bass (on the right song), seats vibrating, etc. It's really amazing. On the install, basically I drilled a screw right through the back of the speaker box into the floor board. E.g. remove the drive to access in the inside of the enclosure, drill the screw through, and replace the driver. Be careful not to use too long of a screw or you will go into the gas tank (not a problem unless you ever have to remove the gas tank or the the sub).

Bhavesh

• 2 weeks later...

- Strong velcro?

???

Anyone has advice?

Thanks!

9409_porsche_cars.jpg

I have a custom 8" sub that was built by Jamey Rawlings who used to be with Paris Audio...It sounds awesome and I pound the h*ll out of it...e.g. mirrors vibrating, punchy bass (on the right song), seats vibrating, etc. It's really amazing. On the install, basically I drilled a screw right through the back of the speaker box into the floor board. E.g. remove the drive to access in the inside of the enclosure, drill the screw through, and replace the driver. Be careful not to use too long of a screw or you will go into the gas tank (not a problem unless you ever have to remove the gas tank or the the sub).

Bhavesh

Two very big thumbs up for Jamey Rawlings from me too, I consulted with him a lot when designing my system, he made door baffle boards for me and led me in the right direction in making my own sub box, similar to what he does.

The 8" sub in the footwell is the real deal.

Bhavesh

Two very big thumbs up for Jamey Rawlings from me too, I consulted with him a lot when designing my system, he made door baffle boards for me and led me in the right direction in making my own sub box, similar to what he does.

The 8" sub in the footwell is the real deal.

Do you have a photo of your sub installation?