Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Moving Switch Locations

Lyn

Have any of you tried relocating the rocker switches on the dash? I want to move the convertible top switch from one side to the other so that it is closer to the sterring wheel, but don't know if there is enough slack in the wiring hartness to do so.

Thx, Lyn

I do not think that there's enough slack. Of course you could 'lengthen' the wires. Also, the switches on the right all have their raised area to the right,

the ones of the left to the left, the one switch would look awkward if moved to the opposite side. It's a Porsche after all, nothing is that far from the driver ;)

Alex

I do not think that there's enough slack. Of course you could 'lengthen' the wires. Also, the switches on the right all have their raised area to the right,

the ones of the left to the left, the one switch would look awkward if moved to the opposite side. It's a Porsche after all, nothing is that far from the driver ;)

Alex

Is there a source for switches for the left side?

I'm thinking about wiring in a homelink and having real switches there would be useful....

There is a diagram of the different switches at this website:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/986-97-04/903-05.htm

You can talk to the folks at Sunset Imports, they can sort you out as well.

You can find out more about Homelink and other garage door opener DIYs by going to 'Search' and entering:

homelink

This subject has been covered many times before so there should be a lot of info.

Regards,

Alex

I got my switches from Suncoast, but have done well with Sunset also. You also need to tell them if yours are matt or glossy.

The Targa top switch looks good for the garage door opener. It is also double-pole double-throw so you can control two openers from one switch. That is the switch I wanted closest to my hand.

If you need more switch locations you can get the batwing with cutouts for two or four.

I got my switches from Suncoast, but have done well with Sunset also. You also need to tell them if yours are matt or glossy.

The Targa top switch looks good for the garage door opener. It is also double-pole double-throw so you can control two openers from one switch. That is the switch I wanted closest to my hand.

If you need more switch locations you can get the batwing with cutouts for two or four.

Anyone have luck just replacing the mirror with an aftermarket that has homelink built in? This one for example?

Homelink Mirror

A little more pricey -- but "cleaner" install?

M

I just saw a HomeLink mirror DIY yesterday - either here or 986Forum.com. Said to use hot putty knife or fishing line to remove stock mirror.

I like the OEM switches in blank switch spots, but the mirror is fine if you don't mind changing out the mirror.

I just saw a HomeLink mirror DIY yesterday - either here or 986Forum.com. Said to use hot putty knife or fishing line to remove stock mirror.

I like the OEM switches in blank switch spots, but the mirror is fine if you don't mind changing out the mirror.

another alternative, if you don't have and S or batwing w/ script, is to add a homelink to the batwing as I did:

2722538088_1a6d4b3f37.jpg

function light and all...

2721713937_2d8fe37ea9.jpg

It's powered off the phone power cord and total cost of...... $12 (used homelink from ebay ;) ) and about 45min w/ a dremel to cut the holes and the fins out of the back of the batwing

:)

Thanks! I originally wanted to do the Targa - garage door opener hack but when I saw the cost of the Targa switch I started exploring alternatives [read as I'm cheap :D]. Decided on adding a used homelink and am thrilled w/ it. Plus, if/when I ever sell the Boxster, I can just erase the codes, give the new owner the generic homelink programming instructions and move on.

:)

Thanks! I originally wanted to do the Targa - garage door opener hack but when I saw the cost of the Targa switch I started exploring alternatives [read as I'm cheap :D]. Decided on adding a used homelink and am thrilled w/ it. Plus, if/when I ever sell the Boxster, I can just erase the codes, give the new owner the generic homelink programming instructions and move on.

i don't even want to think of what that would look like if i had done it; you're like a dremel ninja.

I mounted my radar remote in a blank batwing that was less than $7 from Suncoast. I mounted the Dremel in a vice and very slowly and carefully moved the batwing with my arms braced on the bench.

I started with a cutting bit to rough in the hole and then switched to little drum sander attachment for fine tuning. I trial fitted it frequently and probably used more than 45 minutes to get a good pressure fit.

Those tiny holes must've been a REAL challenge.