Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Laser jammer kill switch - make use of inoperative dash switch?

I have a laser jammer ready for install. With that comes a kill switch so you don't jam the signal all the way as you drive toward the LEO, sparking undue suspicion. I'm loathe to drill new holes in my car and prefer a factory look. Does anyone know if you could use an OEM switch in one of the locations where there are blank switches in place of the supplied kill switch? In my car there are two blanks below the PSM switch and two more behind the ashtray on the rear center console.

I'm an electronics idiot and will probably pay somone to do this but I want to know what is possible first and also what parts I should have on hand, if any. Thanks!!!

Yes you can do it. The problem will be it won't be easy. Most of the factory switches I have come across are momentary contact switches. Which mean you would have to hold the switch until you pass the LEO. What a pain. You can make a momentary switch work but you would have to add a latching relay to the wiring. That will kill the circuit until the switch is pressed again. Then the circuit would be hot again. A good custom stereo shop should be able to make the circuit up for you. You would just need to pick up the Porsche switch you want to use.

The other thing you could try is contact one of the people on ebay that sell the small V1 radar mute switches. Tell them you need an off/on switch and see if they will make you one. Then just hide that little switch somewhere. I have one stuck to the back of turn signal stalks.

I picked up the footwell switch from SunCoast. They said they think the light is LED. Below are the two switches. There are two leads on the original and five on the Porsche switch. Which ones do I use on the new one? Did I mention I'm an electronics idiot?

post-23965-1235524739_thumb.jpg

Edited by deckman

On the Porsche switch the far outside two pins our for lighting the switch when the head lights are on. So us will be using the three pins toward the center. Get a cheap Ohm meter and check the function of the orignal switch and compair it to the porsche. ie. check the red to gray wire pins, gray to gray, and red to the other gray. Do this with the switch in the on and off position.

You might even get someone aradio shack to help you do this.

One of my best friends runs sales for a commercial building access control system company. He holds all the low voltage electrician licenses in the states where they do biz. I didn't think to ask him before, but he should be able to figure this out for me. About time I got something useful out of him!

I'm not quite sure how you're wanting to wire it, but if you're trying

to use the footwell switch as an on off switch, it won't work. At least not by itself.

The switch is momentary. The circuit that it normally connects to does the latching.

Also note that with LEDs polarity matters. So 3 and 5 must be ground if you want them to light up.

Which means 4 would need to be +V.

I've designed a circuit that gets around all that, lights up the LEDs, and lets you use the footwell switch for

whatever function you want (even multiple functions). I haven't made one that latches yet, but it wouldn't be hard.

You're friend should be able to fix you up. Just show him the diagram.

liteswitch2.pdf

I just love silly little projects for cars.

I think a 2 coil latching relay would be the easiest route for you.

If your device doesn't use alot of power the relay should be pretty cheap, and you probably won't need to solder anything.

Make sure you do a proper show and tell when you're done. :D

Edited by Foster

• 5 months later...
I have a laser jammer ready for install. With that comes a kill switch so you don't jam the signal all the way as you drive toward the LEO, sparking undue suspicion. I'm loathe to drill new holes in my car and prefer a factory look. Does anyone know if you could use an OEM switch in one of the locations where there are blank switches in place of the supplied kill switch? In my car there are two blanks below the PSM switch and two more behind the ashtray on the rear center console.

I'm an electronics idiot and will probably pay somone to do this but I want to know what is possible first and also what parts I should have on hand, if any. Thanks!!!

Which laser jammer are you using?

I tried using the footwell switch for this exact item. It won't work out of the box. I've got an ugly radio shack switch under the dash now. I'd certainly like to find a solution to use a Porsche switch that fits into one of the console slots.... If you get this figured out, please let us know.

I gave up and installed the supplied switch in the middle of the bat wing. It looks fine and that is the cheapest piece of trim to replace if I decide to take the switch out.

I have the Laser Interceptor.

Edited by deckman