Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Not running correct

I have had the car in the shop for about a week on the car lift removing broken parts and today I had to remove the driver door and with it being one with an air bag it was suggested to remove the ground from the battery. Guess I will have to do it again when I put the other door back?

I had to start the car to move it up on a small ramp ( with the door off) to work on the rocker panel that was damaged and it started OK but sounded strange? When I went to give it gas it sputtered and sputtered and tried to like pop back and the RPM would not come up? It almost cut off but didn't? I did get it to move where I needed it and turned it off. Later today I started it back up and just let it run for a while and got the temp up some. It would then take gas but wanted to almost backfire but I did get the RPM up and holding around 2000 for a few and then let it settle down and shut it off. The battery was disconnected long enough for the oxygen codes to go off but know they will be back?

Is this car so fussy that the computer has to really do a major redo to make it run correct again? It had been running like a charm?

Edited by duke46

• Admin

How long did you let it run?

When you disconnect the battery the DME loses it's adaptive program (that adapts to your driving, octane of fuel etc., etc.). It usually only takes about 5 minutes of running before the idle is re-adapted and then you need to drive it as normal to re-learn your driving style.

If it still runs rough after that then it is likely time to get out your OBD II fault code reader and see if there are codes.

Speaking of which, where can I get one of those cigarette lighter things with a 9V that you can use while changing a battery so the DME and radio and all don't reset? I don't remember ever seeing them, is it something a typical chain auto parts store will have?

Thanks for the information. I did let it run for maybe 10 min after I started it back up that evening. That was when it would run better. I think the dumbo that said disconnect the battery should be shot to start with. Just pull the dag fuse for the air bag would have done better and all would stay the same. My brain was not thinking and its not my car and I don't even know where the fuses are but I will tomorrow for sure. If you are going to be working on something where you might chance shorting out something then that is when you disconnect the battery. At 63 years old and been screwing around and working on cars from age 13 I should know better but it was cold and brain had a freeze :o

On you question about the cig lighter 9volt deal I guess you can buy them. You have to do the searching for one. The first one I made I just about burn up the 9 volt battery. A 12 volt high amp car battery will eat it alive. If you make one like I did the first time you will need two people. One the plug in the lighter and one to pull the battery cable at almost the same time and do it both ways when ready to connect the battery back. Now if you know what a diode is then you get one that will handle the 12 volts and put it in-line with one side of the cig ligher and 9 volt battery so the 9V will feed in to the car but the 12V want feed the 9V battery. A diode I am talking about will only feed one direction. They use them a lot on kits that people that tow other vehicles behind them so they don't have a feedback on the main vehicle doing the towing.

Go buy one. It's easier :)

Now if any of you had read my post on the wiring and the air bag deal on the door. I am screwed. I have to swap wiring harness and if any of you live in TX could you please go by and kick the guys BUTT for me :D He is going to love the email he gets when he gets to work Monday. I am not a happy camper for sure. I ask for a door that would work for a 2001 and the door does work but the wiring is all together wrong? I don't know what year he sent but it was older than I guess mandatory side air bags? :o

Duke46 - You sound very angry - The disconnect of the battery was a sensible suggestion, cant see what it is that you are angry about.

You decided to reconnect the battery and move the car with the door off so i guess you have also triggered the airbag light too.

The second disconnect of the battery advice you had was also sensible as occassionally these cars do do weird things when disconnected and reconected, but repeat it and all will be well.

At 64 i would have thought you would have taken a more pragmatic approach - melowed with life skills - not rant like a teenager - grow up a bit mate - This forum is people trying to make life easier for others and after all its advice so you can take it or leave it - of course you could always take it to a Porsche dealer where you wont have any of the worries but you wont have any cash left either when you get the bill

First of all its not my car. I have been working on y own cars from age 13. I have a Jag and BMW a Caddy a Vette and 10 more cars and trucks. Never had a problem with any of them. I can take them apart and rebuild them. But the newer they get to more aggravating the idiots that made them and the computers that control them get. I am fixing this for someone that his wife took out a mail box with the door. I understand what you are saying about triggering the air bag but this car has been in my shop before and all I did was repaint the front fender and fix a spot on the rear bumper and it didn't want to leave the paint bay after a few days. Almost choked me to death before I got it out the door? I don't have a any idea why and I even ask the owner and he was clueless? His wife drives the car not him but maybe a few times a year?

If you want to work on it just come on over and go for it. I will even give you a bed to sleep in and feed you. When people ask me what do I work on I tell them whatever I want to work on and this is one I didn't want to do but I have a contract with his bike shop to do all powder coating and custom painting so I took it on.

You may replay if you want but I will never see it. I am out for good of this one. At least I got one helpful answer. And my heritage is where you are from. Glad I live here :D

So now to see what it takes to sign forever out of this forum.

Duke46 - You sound very angry - The disconnect of the battery was a sensible suggestion, cant see what it is that you are angry about.

You decided to reconnect the battery and move the car with the door off so i guess you have also triggered the airbag light too.

The second disconnect of the battery advice you had was also sensible as occassionally these cars do do weird things when disconnected and reconected, but repeat it and all will be well.

At 64 i would have thought you would have taken a more pragmatic approach - melowed with life skills - not rant like a teenager - grow up a bit mate - This forum is people trying to make life easier for others and after all its advice so you can take it or leave it - of course you could always take it to a Porsche dealer where you wont have any of the worries but you wont have any cash left either when you get the bill

Duke46, OK, I agree the onboard computers that control modern cars are a bit of a pain but the addition of a computer helps keep the thing tuned, more reliable and allows more electrical technical equipment to be fitted.

I too worked as a mechanic in the days of points and condensors, distibutor caps, side valves, carburettors and yes they were easy to fix, nothing to worry about when disconnecting a battery, but the distributors wore out, timing went adrift, emmissions were - well anything you wanted them to be just by turning the air bleed screw, they were unreliable, difficult to start in winter, problematic with moisture, didnt develop a lot of power for the engine size and long stroke - I wouldnt want to go back - but like you i feel the computers have taken much of the DIY skills away.

However - It is just a car and people on this forum have a lot of knowledge through experience of owning this type of car, advice given is given to sincerely help you not stuff you up - You must realise that advice given is given with genuine sincerity.

Stick with us and you will see we all try to help, If only i could come across for a free holiday and fix the car - i wish.

and remember you are never too old to learn, look on this as an experience - you may be frustrated, and i appreciate its not your car but are are learning about the highs and lows of vehicle repair, this just happens to be one of your lows