Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HVAC control swap question LCD or LED out

So on my 99' C2 the heater control has a couple sections of one digit number out when its at 80 I have a reversed "6" for the 8 and at 68 I have sort of a small "0" then the regular "8" so its just a couple on the first digit. all the 70's look great (gawd I hate saying that for some reason LOL)

I picked up a used unit that is correct for my year 996 653 101 03 but before I just plug it in, I saw I might have to configure it? If it doesn't work, can I just plug my old one back in or will I also have to configure it since it was removed?

I am not 100% sure the new (used) one works as there is a slight mark on the display...

Any chance of making one work from using parts of the new to fix my old one?

Thanks for your thoughts

Ed

No programming required, just plugs in. Very easy to swap parts between the two, if required. I used the LCD replacement kit on ebay for $55, took all of 30 mins to do, a swap out of a different unit is even less. There is a whole thread on it in the 996 DIY section.

• 2 years later...

I wanted to swap mine too as it had the same issue with the LCD screen.

I have a unit with the ending number 09 and I got a used part ending 03. I switched them over and the Dash died when I switched on. I think that's just a fuse. I also noticed that the new unit read in degrees F not C. I took the blown fuse and the deg F to mean it might be the wrong part.

I have also learned that the 09 part is just a newer version. In that case can I switch the degrees F to C some how? Am I likely to keep blowing fuses?

I sourced the part from the US but will that cause it to be different?

Any help appreciated.

No programming required, just plugs in. Very easy to swap parts between the two, if required. I used the LCD replacement kit on ebay for $55, took all of 30 mins to do, a swap out of a different unit is even less. There is a whole thread on it in the 996 DIY section.

• Admin

I have a unit with the ending number 09 and I got a used part ending 03. I switched them over and the Dash died when I switched on. I think that's just a fuse. I also noticed that the new unit read in degrees F not C. I took the blown fuse and the deg F to mean it might be the wrong part.

I have also learned that the 09 part is just a newer version. In that case can I switch the degrees F to C some how? Am I likely to keep blowing fuses?

Any help appreciated.

An -03 will only work in a MY2001 car.

What is the model is your car (per the build date on the drivers door)?

Will have to check the build date, but its registered 2002 and is a turbo. Likely to be built that year too, I guess. So is it likely that it will not work with the 03 unit?

Thanks in advance.

Any help appreciated.

An -03 will only work in a MY2001 car.

What is the model is your car (per the build date on the drivers door)?