Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is There Such A Thing As NO DRONE Aftermarket Boxster S Exhaust Muffle

Is there such a thing as a no drone aftermarket muffler?

If so, please advice where I can source one?

Also, for anyone has experience with one of those ebay modified factory Boxster mufflers, how loud are they? And are there any cabin drones between 2500-3000rpm?

Here is a link to the aforementioned ebay modified factory muffler: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Porsche-Boxster-986...les_CarParts_SM

Thanks for any inputs.

Could someone please explain the "drone" a bit more clearly. I have seen this mentioned many times.

I am having some issues with the sound my exhaust is making and want to see if this is the same thing.

Hey Drem!

Put the Boxster in a gear somewhat too low to pull a steep hill and accelerate up that hill.

The mod seen above is EXACTLY what Porsche did with their "Technique" sold mufflers. They re-route raw exhaust to the tips :)

Easy and cheap to do! Porsche put an electronic control on it.

B

Hey Drem!

Put the Boxster in a gear somewhat too low to pull a steep hill and accelerate up that hill.

The mod seen above is EXACTLY what Porsche did with their "Technique" sold mufflers. They re-route raw exhaust to the tips :)

Easy and cheap to do! Porsche put an electronic control on it.

B

Thanks Brad, I'll give it a try.

I am so used to the sounds and noise from my 914 that compared to the Boxster it seems like pure luxury.

Everything seems to feel okay

I don't expect it to be Lexus quiet, after all it is a soft-top sports car.

Sometimes I am not sure if what I am hearing is right or wrong.

You seem to go a lot of places to "take care" of peoples cars.

Are you down in Mission Viejo much?

Next time you are in the area I'd like to meet up with you.

Franz

• 6 months later...
No :(

It will be another few months before one is released. Right now.. they all drone :(

B

Brad,

I dont suppose bu chance you know anyone in the phoenix area that does these exhaust mods?

- Ben

Precision Chassis in Gilbert builds Spec Boxsters - he could do it or build a custom exhaust for you.

Following up on my prior post, the Oettle modified muffler with the bypass pipes does not drone or resonate, as it is a factory muffler. I also have Fabspeed bypass pipes eliminating the secondary cats and the sound is superb.

This mod is very simple to do if you have welding skills or can pay someone to do it for you; cost of materials is negligible.

• 8 months later...

Following up on my prior post, the Oettle modified muffler with the bypass pipes does not drone or resonate, as it is a factory muffler. I also have Fabspeed bypass pipes eliminating the secondary cats and the sound is superb.

This mod is very simple to do if you have welding skills or can pay someone to do it for you; cost of materials is negligible.

Do you have a link to the Oettle mod? I've heard good things about the Dansk but they don't make a sausage for the early 986 2.5's anymore. Anyone tried the Maxflow small mufflers as a replacement?

Do you have a link to the Oettle mod? I've heard good things about the Dansk but they don't make a sausage for the early 986 2.5's anymore. Anyone tried the Maxflow small mufflers as a replacement?

Go to pedrosgarage.com. It will be in English, not German. Don't think the Germans give DIY.

I bought the Billy Boat Cat Back muffler and am satisfied. I mean it sure beats the quite stock one. It's a sports car after all. If it drones and gets annoying I just upshift for awhile.