Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CDR23 Radio Lock Code?

I can't seem to find the "lock code" for my CDR23 radio. I've looked through all the literature that was provided with my 03 996 and I couldn't find any reference to the code number. I'd like to have it handy just in case their's a problem. Any suggestions? Or do I go back to the dealer for the info.?

• Moderators

For your year there is no radio code.

We did the trip computer retrofit on two 2003 Boxsters which means you have to disconnect the battery. Then we hooked up the battery when we were done and the radio went on - no code. Jeff

My understanding is that the CDR-23 now talks to the alarm system via the MOST bus (and a gateway to CAN). The alarm automatically recognizes and enables the radio when it's there, thus no need for codes. It also recognizes when the CDR-23 isn't there and throws an alert if it isn't. This is why you can't replace the CDR-23 with an older CDR-220 in the 2003 models, even though most of the connections are the same.

Karl

• Admin

Karl,

According to the TSB for the TT and GT2 you are mostly correct. The computer system recogizes an existing radio and as long as that same radio is taken out or put in the same car there is no code or programming needed. But, if you replace the radio (with another CDR-23) the PST2 must be used to have the computer identify the new radio and "program" it to work with this car.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the information. I believe the earlier radios revert to a Code function when the battery is disconnected. To re-activate the radio a pass code must be entered into the radio. If the code is unavailable, it can be read from the DME control module or you have to contact Porsche IPAS. I wasn't sure if you have to use the same protocol with the CDR23 unit.

Regards,

John

But, if you replace the radio (with another CDR-23) the PST2 must be used to have the computer identify the new radio and "program" it to work with this car.

Loren,

Your post got me thinking. I've been trying to figure out a way to install a TrafficPro in a 2004 GT3 and have been stymied by the alarm system/CDR-23 communication issue, since the TP doesn't support the MOST bus or this kind of direct communication with the DME.

But you are correct, the whole thing is programmable via the PST2. And since there is an option at least in ROW to delete the stereo completely from the GT3, this must be a programmable function on the PST2. So, if I can get someone with a PST2 (there's an independent shop here with one) to reprogram my DME to think there is no stereo installed, then maybe I can hook up the TP and not have any problems with the alarm system.

Any thoughts?

Karl

• Admin

Karl,

I think you are correct. I think you can tell the MOST system there is no radio (at least that it can recognize).

I'll send you the pages from the TSB via email.

BTW... there are actually two different CDR-23's used in the MY03's:

996 645 128 01 Radio with internal amplification (Replaces with 996 645 128 X)

996 645 129 01 Radio with external amplification (Replaces with 996 645 129 X)

• 7 years later...

So I know this is an old post but from what I am understanding is that if I remove the battery out of 2003 for the winter and reinstall in the spring my CDR-23 will come to life right away without going to a dealer to have it reset?

Thank you for any help I can get!

• Admin

So I know this is an old post but from what I am understanding is that if I remove the battery out of 2003 for the winter and reinstall in the spring my CDR-23 will come to life right away without going to a dealer to have it reset?

Thank you for any help I can get!

Yes - CDR-23 radios are matched to the car. So same car same radio will always work.

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for your reply. Everything I had read to date said that if you disconnected the battery in a 2003 Targa or any 996 with a CDR-23 then the dealer would have to reset the radio to work! Great to know this is not the case and that I can remove the battery for winter storage without any issue! Thank you again for your feedback!