Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cup holder trim removal

Does anyone know how to remove the trim piece (actually 3 pieces) from the cup holder in a 987? I want to paint it along with the other dash trim pieces, and Eric at Bumper plugs will not accept the pieces with cup holder attached. I can see how to remove the holder and trim pieces from a great article by satoshi which I found on Planet Porsche ( .Satoshi). Apparently satoshi had it painted with the cup hold frame attached. Any ideas?? :huh:

quinby1, what color are you doing? Eric does great quality work. You will be pleased.

Speed Yellow....I know he does great work and the quote to do the pieces was OK, but I wanted to send the trim with the cup holder attached as I assumed he could mask it off and paint just the trim, but he only will accept the trim pieces.....I'm not sure if this piece can be removed? :(

Ok, I have examined the tray and trim after I removed it from the car. It appears that you can start to push out the hinge rod from either side and then pull it the rest of the way out which will then allow the hinged front trim pieced to come off....HOWEVER, there are four very small springs which are wrapped around the hinge rod (one on each side trim and two on the large center trim). When and if I pull this rod these springs are going to go flying off. I envision putting them back when re-assembling is going to be a nightmare!! :cursing: Has anyone ever done this...or if you've had your interior trim painted, how did you do it??

• Admin
Ok, I have examined the tray and trim after I removed it from the car. It appears that you can start to push out the hinge rod from either side and then pull it the rest of the way out which will then allow the hinged front trim pieced to come off....HOWEVER, there are four very small springs which are wrapped around the hinge rod (one on each side trim and two on the large center trim). When and if I pull this rod these springs are going to go flying off. I envision putting them back when re-assembling is going to be a nightmare!! :cursing: Has anyone ever done this...or if you've had your interior trim painted, how did you do it??

Have you tried Eric at Bumperplugs.com?

They paint most of this stuff.

Yes Loren, It was Eric who told me he wouldn't paint the piece with the tray attached...I asked him how to remove the tray and he said "We are not Porsche technicians; we just refinish the materials to perfection here. You should ask a pro at your local Porsche dealership." I don't have a dealership nearby, and the one that is two hours away doesn't have a good reputation if you know what I mean.,., So I'm looking for help..if I can't get it the trim off, I'll have a local body shop paint it with the tray on and masked. Although I would prefer to use Eric at Bumperplugs, he apparently won't do it with the tray on.

• Admin

Yes Loren, It was Eric who told me he wouldn't paint the piece with the tray attached...I asked him how to remove the tray and he said "We are not Porsche technicians; we just refinish the materials to perfection here. You should ask a pro at your local Porsche dealership." I don't have a dealership nearby, and the one that is two hours away doesn't have a good reputation if you know what I mean.,., So I'm looking for help..if I can't get it the trim off, I'll have a local body shop paint it with the tray on and masked. Although I would prefer to use Eric at Bumperplugs, he apparently won't do it with the tray on.

I am sending you a PM.

OK guys, here is the solution thanks to Joe Desimone from Planet Porsche...the silver painted trim pieces on the cup holder are only clipped onto a black plastic substrate. This is not evident when looking at them. They can be removed by carefully prying them off with a plastic wedge, small screwdriver or trim removal tool. First remove the tray from the car. Then working from the HINGE side, carefully pry the pieces up from the bottom. I have included some pics.

Thanks to all for your input....quinby1 :clapping:

post-37913-1237130386_thumb.jpg

post-37913-1237130406_thumb.jpg

post-37913-1237130423_thumb.jpg

post-37913-1237130442_thumb.jpg

post-37913-1237130459_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...