Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

10k miles worth of track use

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am looking to purchase my first 911 and I've recently come across a 996 that has about 10k miles worth of track use. I would like to get some feedback as to what kind of impact an extensive amount of track use would have on the overall mechanical condition of the car. I am trying to determine if I should even bother setting up pre-purchase inspections etc. I know 911s are meant to be driven hard but how much is too much? Everything has its limits, you know.

Please share your experiences and opinions.

Thanks and regards!

Edited by Mann

There are soooooo many 911s for sale right now, why feel "pressured" to buy one with 10,000 track miles. I would not waste the money on a PPI. Keep looking. Should you go see the car, and test drive it? Sure. Pay money for a PPI? I think not, IMHO.

Patience.

You will find the right car for you! :)

Hello,

What do you plan on doing with the car?

If the car has 10K track miles, I would expect that it would have a number of modifications for use on the track. i would think that the suspension would be non stock, and I would hope that there was safety gear installed as well (roll bar, race seats, harnesses, fire system, etc.). If that is true, is that the sort of vehicle you are looking for?

If that is not true, and the vehicle is stock, I would wonder how hard the car has been driven on the track (or maybe the track mods were removed and the stock components re-installed).

IMHO, 10K track miles would be like 100K regular miles. So adjust your value accordingly.

Is there anything special about this car? Does it have records for engine / transmission / other repairs?

Good luck,

Barry

The two previous posters have very good points and questions.

Here is perspective from someone with a car that has about 15000 tracks miles, and driven very hard.

10K track miles is a lot - I would think it is a track car, and like a previous poster, would expect it to have substantial modifications. Maybe that's what you want. If so, I would want to know how it has been maintained. How often has the oil and filter been changed? Has the oil gone off each time for analysis? If so, what wear trends do the results show? Same questions for the gear oil, and how does the transmission feel?

Other Qs - What is the redline number with a PST2 or Durametric reading? Has the ECU been programmed with performance software? Were there other motor upgrades? (personally, I am not high on ECU software upgrades as it related to motor longevity - that is not based on anything scientific though)

I think it would be possible to get a car with 10K track miles that is in really good shape. Mine, for example. :D But I would want to know as much as possible. I'm not sure I would buy a track car from someone I did not know from the track.

Thanks for all the info.

Here is the deal: the car is completely stock and was used in Skip Barber driving school. They have all the records for scheduled and unscheduled maintenance although I have not seen them. Here is the car I was talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...T&viewitem=

I decided to walk away from it and purchased a certified 996 from the dealer. I hope it is worth the extra money.

Thanks for all the info.

Here is the deal: the car is completely stock and was used in Skip Barber driving school. They have all the records for scheduled and unscheduled maintenance although I have not seen them. Here is the car I was talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...T&viewitem=

I decided to walk away from it and purchased a certified 996 from the dealer. I hope it is worth the extra money.

I think you made the right call. When the Panoz driving school shut down at Sebring, they sold off the Panoz student cars. I know some folks that bought them. They have not been especially happy. It is really easy for a beginner to put excessive wear on the motor and the tranny.