Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster MPG

Lot's of people say members only belong to forum's because they have car issues. Well, I'm posting to say I have NO problems with my Box at this time. As a matter of fact, the weather has been nice enough to drive it for the last week, and I managed to get 33 MPG on the tank I burned through using 93 Octane.

:renntech:

Hello from Montana,

I have a Boxster, a 2001 S. It's my third Porsche after 2 911s. It's a great car. I think on these forums one hears all the negatives. Believe me I keep up on it, but I also have the car regularly servied by qualified folks. I drive it as it was designed such as in Autocrosses and DE days, but I don't abuse it. I drive it alot.

It's a great car. Oh I said that already (too much MaCallans and Hoyo de Montereys).

My 1974 911S in Germany went through every young kid before I got it. It was a maintenance nightmare, albeit a fun one. My 1983 Euro SC was bullet proof. A GREAT car in every sense of the word. I had it for 11 years and miss it. I have no reason to believe this Boxster S will be any different. Just a pleasure to drive. It's theraputic and tax free!

Cheers,

Dan

The Box is my 3rd Porsche. a 944 went to the ex, my 1982 911 Targa went for a pretty penny last year (only had 22,ooo original miles), and I drive like a bat outta hell. In town I have averaged no less than 24, and on a road trip this weekend is how I managed 33 at 75mph with the occasional dash to 100 :)

A buddy of mine has a 944S and he gets 23 in the city, my 911 never got better than 17.

I check the mpg at every fill up on my 2002. In winter with very cold temps and winter blended fuel, I was seeing 22-23 mpg on average. After I changed the air filter shortly after I got the car (the original filter was still in the car with a 2002 date code), I instantly noted a 1 mpg increase in mpg. Same driving, same cold *&^% weather, but I was averaging 23 to 24 mpg. Once the weather warmed up earlier in March, I was up to 26-27 mpg.

No major problems with my 2004 Boxster here in Australia either! The weather is warm and I get 9.4L/100km, which translates to 25 mpg (US gallon). The only little problems on my car are:

1) Inner roof lining of convertible top has separated from outer lining at the front due to cracked plastic trim where it meets the windscreen. This was already repaired once under warranty but has now happened again out of warranty. No big deal though as far as I can tell.

2) The car radio's thin little antenna cable was crushed by the radio (?at the factory) which I noticed when trying to replace the radio. The reception is still good, but this antenna wire is now like 1mm flat thin (from originally 5mm or so) who know's how long it will work for....

That's it! Happy to be a Boxster driver - I drive it all the time.

Any uk/aus/nz people on this thread? (I am US based brit)

are we talking different 'G's in our MPG quotes? US Gallon is roughly 0.833 of an imperial gallon.

I get about 19-22 MPG (US) which is about 23 to 26.5 MPG (Imperial).

In in the Pacific NW, we can only get our hands on 92 Octane (10% Ethonol too). Thanks to the anti-knock system we can still run our Boxsters here.

I was surprised at 33MPG on 93 octane, does that 1 octane really trnaslate to 8-10MPG?

M.

Any uk/aus/nz people on this thread? (I am US based brit)

Yes I am Australian, drive a RHD Box 2004. In our 986 the cigarette lighter is switched power, not constant, and there is no standard telephone adapter plug under the dash.

are we talking different 'G's in our MPG quotes? US Gallon is roughly 0.833 of an imperial gallon. I get about 19-22 MPG (US) which is about 23 to 26.5 MPG (Imperial).

Yes, I get 25 MPG (US) which is 30 MGP (Imp). Normal conservative city driving.

In in the Pacific NW, we can only get our hands on 92 Octane (10% Ethonol too). Thanks to the anti-knock system we can still run our Boxsters here. I was surprised at 33MPG on 93 octane, does that 1 octane really trnaslate to 8-10MPG?

Sorry to say the but I suspect the fuel you are getting is crap. US give their octane ratings in "AKI" units, while in UK/AUS we use "RON" units. Here is Australia we get 91RON, 95 RON and 98 RON. The Boxster wants 98, but will run on 95 with knocksensor.

Conversion (approximate):

87 AKI = 91 RON

90 AKI = 95 RON

93 AKI = 98 RON

See here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

20-21mpg on 93 octane here in my 04 Boxster S (Virginia, US).

Every time I think about just taking it easy, I have to remind myself that I'm not only driving a Porsche, but that I paid extra for the bigfer engine and wouldn't want to feel like I'm wasting my hard-earned money ;) Anyone who's getting more than 25mpg (US gallon) is either making an error on their math, or driving it wrong!

Edited by grover

WOW! In the 30s? That is impressive in my opinion.

I graduated last May and started my career at the beginning of June. In October, I bought a Boxster for my commuter vehicle. Living in Missouri, you never quite know what the weather will be, but from probably mid to late April until late September, I should get to drive her a majority of days and with the top down in the morning and evening. My commute is normally between one to one and a half hours each way and the most I have ever seen my Boxster get is around 24 MPG (US). Most occasions just driving around town with highway sprinkled in, it gets around 17 MPG (US). I put 93 Octane in mine from BP (supposedly with invigorate :P )

Mileages isn't quite as good as the other car I was driving, and the fuel is usually at least fifteen cents more per gallon, but the ride sure is worth it!