Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Carrera 4S Check Engine light

I have 996 Carrera 4S 03 and have the same check engine light problem. The dealer has changed oxigen sensors, all the spark plugs, all the coils, the oil dispenser and oil cap, the shop is clueless. Any one has an Idea?

The code its giving the dealer is P0174 static & it Says the values are over the limit, also DME failure.

• Admin
I have 996 Carrera 4S 03 and have the same check engine light problem. The dealer has changed oxigen sensors, all the spark plugs, all the coils, the oil dispenser and oil cap, the shop is clueless. Any one has an Idea?

The code its giving the dealer is P0174 static & it Says the values are over the limit, also DME failure.

:welcome:

P0174 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 2 – Above Limit

Possible fault cause

- Incorrect signal from MAF sensor

- Intake air system leaking

- Fuel pressure too low

- Volume supply of fuel pump too low

- Fuel injectors fouled

- PCV valve leaks

- Cap of oil filler neck not closed correctly or seal is damaged

No DME failure.

Start by checking the oil cap and the o-ring under it for a good seal. Also, check the filler hose for cracks. Check for any other possible air leaks.

If that looks good put the Durametric Software, a PST2 or PIWIS tester on the car and look at the MAF air flow - both at idle and at 2500 RPM.

That will tell you if the MAF is working properly.

• 5 months later...

P0174 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 2 – Above Limit

Possible fault cause

- Incorrect signal from MAF sensor

- Intake air system leaking

- Fuel pressure too low

- Volume supply of fuel pump too low

- Fuel injectors fouled

- PCV valve leaks

- Cap of oil filler neck not closed correctly or seal is damaged

No DME failure.

Start by checking the oil cap and the o-ring under it for a good seal. Also, check the filler hose for cracks. Check for any other possible air leaks.

If that looks good put the Durametric Software, a PST2 or PIWIS tester on the car and look at the MAF air flow - both at idle and at 2500 RPM.

That will tell you if the MAF is working properly.

It took me a while to answer you.

Since we last spoke I installed the following, 4 oxigen sensors, 6 spark plugs, and 6 ignition coils, oil cap, oil dispensers & oil cap o-ring.

And checked the MASS AIR FLOW with the durametric software in idle and at 2500 rpm, the values it gave me were.

In idle 13.6 to 14.2 and at 2500 rpm it gave me 40.5 to 42. Are this values ok or should I replace the MAF Sensor?

And It stills bring me the P0174 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 2 code.

Thanks

Domingo

Edited by domingo

• Admin

For 3.6 liter engine with no loads switched on (no AC), Engine temperature greater than 90 °C, and Ambient temperature 20 °C.

Idle - 16-20 Mass air flow ML in kg/h

No load at 3000 RPM - 60-80 Mass air flow ML in kg/h

So if your conditions are as spec'ed above you are a little low at idle and you need to re-measure at 3000 RPM.

Yesterday we checked the car for air flow leaks and there was a small size leak on the gasket between the header and the muffler.

We fixed it and ran the durametric software to check the MAF air flow on idle and the values were up to 15 and 16.

Im testing the car right now to see if the check engine light turns on again. I really hope it doesnt.

I'll Keep you updated, Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The Car was running fine till today when the infamous Check Engine Light Flashed.

Went home and runned the Durametric software and two new codes came to life.

PO300 Porsche Fault Code 507 Mysfire Detection & PO306 Porsche Fault Code 509 mysfire cylinder 6.

I already change less than a month ago all the Coils & the Spark Plugs, 3 months ago 4 oxigen sensors.

What can I do? I have no clue?

:help:

• Admin
The Car was running fine till today when the infamous Check Engine Light Flashed.

Went home and runned the Durametric software and two new codes came to life.

PO300 Porsche Fault Code 507 Mysfire Detection & PO306 Porsche Fault Code 509 mysfire cylinder 6.

I already change less than a month ago all the Coils & the Spark Plugs, 3 months ago 4 oxigen sensors.

What can I do? I have no clue?

Since you only have a misfire on cylinder 6 you need to check the electrical connector to make sure it has snapped into place. If the is okay then look for a cracked coil pack or a loose spark plug.

On Thursday we checked the coil pack and the spark plugs on cylinder 6, and everything looked OK also the car is running OK, Still don't know the cause of the fault codes.

But something new happened yesterday, the car was running perfect and suddenly the oil pressure dropped to 0 for a couple of seconds and went back up. The computer on the car said "faulty indication".

Why did this happen? Could this be the cause of all the trouble and faulty codes?

I own an 03 996 C4S also, i'm getting the "Check engine - Drive to workshop" error occasionally when reaching High Revs (6-7 K) on fourth gear and 5th gear.

this error has occurred only twice in the past 4 months, and when i restart the car the error is gone.

could this be the same case? should i go thru the same procedures mentioned above?

Many Thanks

• Admin
I own an 03 996 C4S also, i'm getting the "Check engine - Drive to workshop" error occasionally when reaching High Revs (6-7 K) on fourth gear and 5th gear.

this error has occurred only twice in the past 4 months, and when i restart the car the error is gone.

could this be the same case? should i go thru the same procedures mentioned above?

Many Thanks

You will need to get the fault code(s) read - without them everything is a guess.

Many Thanks

You will need to get the fault code(s) read - without them everything is a guess.

what software you recommend i purchase? price idea?

• Admin

Some parts stores will let you borrow a fault code reader.

Or you can find a generic code reader for maybe $79.

For Porsche specific codes you would need either:

Durametric software (and a laptop to run it on) - about $287

A used Porsche PST2 tester - about $2500 - $3500

A leased Porsche PIWIS tester - about $12,000 per year

Where are you located? Perhaps a member here can help you out.

Some parts stores will let you borrow a fault code reader.

Or you can find a generic code reader for maybe $79.

For Porsche specific codes you would need either:

Durametric software (and a laptop to run it on) - about $287

A used Porsche PST2 tester - about $2500 - $3500

A leased Porsche PIWIS tester - about $12,000 per year

Where are you located? Perhaps a member here can help you out.

Loren thanks so much for the info. I live in the UAE, i know that miles away from the states, but your forum is the most comprehensive one I've seen, no wonder when it has people like you.

if you know anyone or any dealer in this area i'd appreciate it, otherwise will try and download the software.

Much appreciated

On Thursday we checked the coil pack and the spark plugs on cylinder 6, and everything looked OK also the car is running OK, Still don't know the cause of the fault codes.

But something new happened yesterday, the car was running perfect and suddenly the oil pressure dropped to 0 for a couple of seconds and went back up. The computer on the car said "faulty indication".

Why did this happen? Could this be the cause of all the trouble and faulty codes?

If you do a search here you will find threads on failing oil pressure sensors. Seems to be a relatively common failure. From what I recall it's a pretty easy fix as well.

Loren-you mention Porsche spec. codes-could you rattle off what those would be?

I have a DashDaq now and am able to read codes on most cars (including my C4S)-are there more that I am missing (nope-I havent reset them so they would still be there ;) )

Also-if its needed, I'd def be interested in the Durametric software is there a distributer here on Renn (Amazon and google are the next best for me-but support for the forum is always a first for me).

Thanks for everything so far to everyone!

:renntech:

• Admin

I have a DashDaq now and am able to read codes on most cars (including my C4S)-are there more that I am missing (nope-I havent reset them so they would still be there ;) )

Also-if its needed, I'd def be interested in the Durametric software is there a distributer here on Renn (Amazon and google are the next best for me-but support for the forum is always a first for me).

Any non P-codes are Porsche codes. (P-codes are emission related and required to follow OBD 2 and (in the US) EPA regualtions)

For example: alarm codes, ABS codes, PSM codes, some Tiptronic codes, cab top codes, Targa codes, airbag codes, rollover protection codes, HVAC codes, seat heating codes, seat memory codes, PCM codes, parkassist codes, headlight beam adjustment codes .... whew... :eek: I think that is most of them. There are more on the newer cars that have more lighting and electronics controllers.

Any non P-codes are Porsche codes. (P-codes are emission related and required to follow OBD 2 and (in the US) EPA regualtions)

For example: alarm codes, ABS codes, PSM codes, some Tiptronic codes, cab top codes, Targa codes, airbag codes, rollover protection codes, HVAC codes, seat heating codes, seat memory codes, PCM codes, parkassist codes, headlight beam adjustment codes .... whew... :eek: I think that is most of them. There are more on the newer cars that have more lighting and electronics controllers.

Cable on order ;) !