Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

how to get to tiptronic switch on 2002 c4

2002 c4 tiptronic cabriolet

How do you get to the switch (back up lights etc) on the tiptronic tranny. I have traced the wires and they appear to be going to the top of the tranny. I thought the switch was on the side no luck. How do I get to the switch? Is there an access panel under the carpet?

• Admin
2002 c4 tiptronic cabriolet

How do you get to the switch (back up lights etc) on the tiptronic tranny. I have traced the wires and they appear to be going to the top of the tranny. I thought the switch was on the side no luck. How do I get to the switch? Is there an access panel under the carpet?

The back light switch is part of the main switch sector on the side of the transmission.

post-1-1240080842_thumb.png

I am just not seeing it. The wire connection is near the back (engine side), loops under the tranny and goes toward the front (front of car side) then it feeds towards the top of the tranny on the side where all the tranny coolent lines are located????? The picture would indicate near the rear on the side opposite all the coolent lines definately not the case. There are a series of clips that run along the tranny pan that the wire clips into that the wire goes under the rear of the tranny along the pan and then to the front along the pan. what the heck am I missing??? Is it different on a C4 than a C2?

• Admin
sorry for being so darn dense on this. Am I looking at the drivers side or passenger side of the tranny in the picture?

Passenger side. In a Carrera the transmission is closest to the center of the car and engine is rear most.

Might I ask what is not working just the backup lights or the display in the dash (I assume reverse gear works).

back up lights don't work. The reverse indicator on dash lights up when shifted into reverse but the backup lights don't work and the outside passenger mirror doesn't dip either. I checked the bulbs and the circuit to make sure no wires were broke all checked out fine.

Loren, I have been looking through the chapter in the servcie manual and I am wondering if I was looking at the wrong wiring harness. I think I was too far towards the front of the car. Anyway the manual describes needing to support the engine with a special tool and also remove the left catalytic converter and left tranny mount before you can get multifunction switch off.

does this make sense seems like a heck of a lot of work?

• Admin
Loren, I have been looking through the chapter in the servcie manual and I am wondering if I was looking at the wrong wiring harness. I think I was too far towards the front of the car. Anyway the manual describes needing to support the engine with a special tool and also remove the left catalytic converter and left tranny mount before you can get multifunction switch off.

does this make sense seems like a heck of a lot of work?

Is that a Boxster manual? The cats on a 996 are near the rear bumper.

I think that the photos and diagrams are of the ZF tiptronic transmission used in the 98-01 cars. The 2002- cars use the MB transmission, and the multi-function switch is on the bottom of the gear selector lever.

Edit: I found this in the 2002 SIT which might be useful to you:

post-4000-1240162406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard Hamilton

The comment in the diagram makes it sound like you can't replace the switch, but I know they do sell a separate switch and its darned expensive like $300 dollars. I assume that the switch is under the center counsol? I have to pull it to replace the Ebrake switch anyway so I will take a peak and see what I find.

The PET shows a switch for the selector lever, which I think might be the multi-function switch. A friend of mine had one replaced some while ago, so contrary to what the 2002 SIT says, I think it might be available separately now. Perhaps check with your supplier. The UK price is around £95 (about $135) but you could do a price lookup here.

post-4000-1240177409_thumb.jpg

Have to pull the console to replace the Ebrake switch anyway so will take a look and see what I can find. Sure thought I was being a total dumb ars because I couldn't find that switch on the tranny itself. At least I got under the car and cleaned some of the gunk off the bottom not a total waste of time. Thanks for the help!

• 1 year later...

I've a similar problem. Got the old style box with switch on side of transmission. Managed to get screws out, but can't pull switch off as hydraulic pipes are in the way. Don't really want to start undoing those, as it looks hard to get at. Any ideas on a short cut?

Cheers

Sorted it at last! Just about possible to get the switch past the pipes. Stripped the switch and cleaned up the contacts, used screws and nuts to put it back together and had a lot of fun re-fitting it! Just got to get the fault cleared and hopefully it's fixed.

Edited by stocky1958

• 4 months later...

I did pull my and clean up the contacts and the switch started working again without a hitch. I am guessing that you will have the same luck as they get a little corosion and then won't work. I didn't have to buy a new switch and it was a pretty easy repair.

Did anyone ever get around to cleaning or replacing one of these switches on the MB made Tip trans?