Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Level question

what is the proper procedure to check the oil level ? thank you :renntech:

ps

Just did my oil change at jiffy lube and they put mobile 1 5w-30 into the engine . I am in troubles ?????

Edited by zgdanska

• Admin

ps

Just did my oil change at jiffy lube and they put mobile 1 5w-30 into the engine . I am in troubles ?????

Porsche does not approve 5W-30 oil for it's cars. 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-50 are approved oil viscosity.

You really need 5W-40 as a minimum.

ps

Porsche does not approve 5W-30 oil for it's cars. 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-50 are approved oil viscosity.

You really need 5W-40 as a minimum.

For whatever reason, the Porsche dealership near me (Birmingham, AL) uses Mobil 1 0w30. Same guys that let a Cayman S basically rot on display at a local mall--completely rusted calipers and cobwebs all over it.

Thanks

Just found the cd with the manual and looks like they overfill the engine by almost 3/4 liter .(i ran the car for 20 min , then park in garage and waited 5 min ) I will go to them change the oil to 0/40 and fill only with 8 cans for now . :renntech:

ps

To Loren

I have 53000 miles on this car . 2002 cabrio 911 996 3.6 non turbo . What will be the best choice of oil ????? Thank You always for your input.

Edited by zgdanska

hmmm , this is from the manual

above 50F

15w40 10w40 20w50 15w40 15w50 20w40

below 50F

15w40 10w40 10w30 5w30

below 14F

10w30 5w30

i don't see any 0w40 5w50 . Any help with that ? or maybe the manual is outdated ??

• Admin
Thanks

Just found the cd with the manual and looks like they overfill the engine by almost 3/4 liter .(i ran the car for 20 min , then park in garage and waited 5 min ) I will go to them change the oil to 0/40 and fill only with 8 cans for now . :renntech:

ps

To Loren

I have 53000 miles on this car . 2002 cabrio 911 996 3.6 non turbo . What will be the best choice of oil ????? Thank You always for your input.

The factory fill is Mobil 1 0W-40. Most owners use that or 5W-50 in either Mobile 1 or Castrol.