Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster left me stranded on the side of the Interstate highway...but..

OK, first the good part (silver lining to the cloud), ran my first track event this weekend in the Box-S. The car was great, now I just need to make the driver a little bit better to keep up with the car performance. I think a few more DE's and I will be ready to move from Yellow (Int) to White (Advanced). A few more weekends like this, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. :D

Now for the bad stuff. The battery light came on the dash. Checked the leads and noticed that the battery was loose. It had been banging back and forth in the tray the whole weekend. Had the trackside shop build me a "L" shaped bracket to lock down the battery and continued. Went back out and the battery light went out by the end of the session. Ran one more session and no problems.

Drove home and after awhile the ABS and Airbag lights came on the dash. I thought uh-oh, this is not good. But I thought I could maybe get it home. A few more miles later, the speedo went to 0 and a few hundred yards later, the whole christmas tree lit up at the bottom of the dash, the car gave a slight lurch and lost power. I coasted to a stop. Tried to start it and it made a very fast clicking sound and the lights blinked at the same cadence as the clicks. The emergency flashers worked though and I was able to roll down the window. :cursing:

2 hours later the tow truck finally arrived and now, thankfully, I am home.

So any ideas? I think the alternator is fried. I will download the codes and post them tomorrow and put a volt meter to the battery as well. Let me know if you think I should look at something else too. :unsure:

I can't explain why your car stalled out on you while driving.... but what you describe when you tried to restart it text book for needing a new battery. The same clicking sound and dash lights flickering is exactly what happened to my car last week and it was just the battery... though I hadn't banged it around like you did :)

HTH and congrats on doing your first track event!

Larez2

HTH and congrats on doing your first track event!

Larez2

Ooops, should have said first track event in THIS car! Been a track rat for several years now and love it!! You know how it goes...buy car and then start figuring out what you can get away with (mods wise) based on budget and patience of spouse.... ;)

Hi rob76turbo, sounds like either a duff battery or alternator, I wouldn't think any acid would leak out of a modern battery, you would see it in the battery tray anyway. How old is the battery? typically they last about 4 years.

• 3 months later...

Im having same problems, ABS/air bag light then car died. I now have new battery and alternator tested fine at Advance Auto. If I remove the neg terminal it will sometimes go dead (bad alt?)... and sometimes not. No battery/engine light but I did pull a P0650 pending code.

Did you fix yours?

• Admin
Im having same problems, ABS/air bag light then car died. I now have new battery and alternator tested fine at Advance Auto. If I remove the neg terminal it will sometimes go dead (bad alt?)... and sometimes not. No battery/engine light but I did pull a P0650 pending code.

Did you fix yours?

Ok - you have posted this 4 times now. Please wait for a reply.

Did you fix yours?

Ok - you have posted this 4 times now. Please wait for a reply.

Sorry, just looking for feedback from multiple owners with similar problems to see if anyone found a solution. Any ideas on your end (loose connection/VR..)?