Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil spots on floor

Hi guys!

I own a 1998 2.5 boxster tiptronic with around 40,000 miles. I have come to notice little oil residues on my garage floor. Its located not at the center but a little between the driver seat and the LEFT rear tire. I've had for 3 weeks and didn't notice anything until a tonight. Is this where the RMS leaks the oil? I just bought the car the car recently and had it checked by a indy porsche shop before purchasing and they said that there is a very small amount of oil seaping through and also added that its a common problem with porsches. No CEL's, engine oil level stable, also just had an oil change. It uses 5w-50. Idle sounds were fairly normal, at around 800 rpm.

Thanks!

edit:

meant to say left rear tire =X

Edited by Rui725

Have you had a look at your power steering reservoir and its hoses? That's in the vicinity of the location a little forward of and above what you are describing.

Regards, Maurice.

No i have not looked at the power steering reservoir as of yet. What color is the power steering fluid? I checked the residue and i'm pretty sure its engine oil.

I don't feel a real loss in steering power or rather, there aren't any changes in how the car drives.

Have you had a look at your power steering reservoir and its hoses? That's in the vicinity of the location a little forward of and above what you are describing.

Regards, Maurice.

No i have not looked at the power steering reservoir as of yet. What color is the power steering fluid? I checked the residue and i'm pretty sure its engine oil.

I don't feel a real loss in steering power or rather, there aren't any changes in how the car drives.

The power steering fluid is a sort of dark green/black, oily substance and it can feel like engine oil. Check the level in the reservoir, and also check to see if the hose connections and/or the hydraulic hose leading from the reservoir is/are weeping fluid and whether the hose is saturated with an oily film.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

with this leak being so small and not a daily occurrence, say its the spark plug or the cam tower seal, is it possible to leave it alone until the next oil change? I change my oil every 5000km.

IMO if the leak is small, you don't run any risk at all if you wait until the nex oil change. At most, you may be annoyed by the occasional smell of oil as it drops onto some part of the exhaust, but that's about it.

At the next oil change, you may want to investigate whether you can use a slightly heavier weight, but still Porsche-approved oil. Some members have stopped small leaks at the RMS using that tactic. If you have vario-cam +, you have to know what the max weight oil is that you can use.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

with this leak being so small and not a daily occurrence, say its the spark plug or the cam tower seal, is it possible to leave it alone until the next oil change? I change my oil every 5000km.

IMO if the leak is small, you don't run any risk at all if you wait until the nex oil change. At most, you may be annoyed by the occasional smell of oil as it drops onto some part of the exhaust, but that's about it.

At the next oil change, you may want to investigate whether you can use a slightly heavier weight, but still Porsche-approved oil. Some members have stopped small leaks at the RMS using that tactic. If you have vario-ram, you have to know what the max weight oil is that you can use.

Regards, Maurice.

When you say vario-ram, are you referring to VarioCam? m96 engines have varioCam to my knownledge, i'm not sure what vario-ram. I currently use 5w-50, but i see a lot of Porsche owners go with 5w40. The main reason i use 50 is because i live in sub-tropical climate, so having a more viscous oil is better for warmer temperatures. ( i think) any higher then its 60, not sure if 60 is recommended by porsche

• Moderators

Vario-Ram was used in the latest air coolers, not on M96 engines. Vario-Cam + (variable camshaft adjustment + variable valve lift) irrelevant on M96 986 engines. Vario-Cam is possible.

• 1 month later...

does a RMS leak usually come from the central/bottom inspection hole in the bell housing [can see the flywheel thru it, right??] ~~~~~~~~~~~ first time I have seen a "leak" since buying the car used....... pretty heavy weight dark fluid coming from area..... engine oil level does not seem to be going down, even after a 3 hr drive at 70 MPH ..... could it also be a front trans seal issue on my car? thx................