Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cold air intakes

hi there guys..........and gals..............

i want to put a cold air intake system on my baby.........but my mechanic (very old school)...has said that if the filter is a k and n which needs oil added to the element

that it should not be used............as over a period of time say up to 12 months a bit of oil and other contaminents in fect the air mass meter and cAUSE THIS TO MAL FUNCTION..which then results in a new meter every 12 mths approx....i trust him big time (im to scared not to )...but is there a cold air intake that has a filter with out oil added ............to cartridge....or any other personal experiences..would be appreciated.......

cheers frankie

I disagree...I've had my EVO Hi-Flo on my car for going on the fourth year with absolutely no MAF or CEL problems. Problems arise when owners over-oil the filters, thinking more is better. I doubt the cold air filter does much for HP, but the intake sound is intoxicating and worth every penny.

K&N type (gauze) filters need to be lightly oiled (they come pre-oiled; some owners ignore this and add addional oil), then wrapped in paper towel or newspaper to further remove any excess. I clean mine once a year and always follow this procedure.

BTW, I've run them on my 911s for the last 20 years without issue, as well.

Edited by jmatta

i've run one for over a year now with no issues as well, but went back to stock. Feel better about it to as i'm not as worried about water infiltration and what not. I paid 330 bucks for mine and wouldn't say the noise dif was worth every penny. But maybe your setup was better. Anyhooo, jm2c

Edited by bmohr

cant see the allure of hearing the induction

What!!!? How can you not be taken by the sound of the air rushing into your engine? The deep howl?

My 911 runs 40 IDA triple throat Webers and I absolutely love the sound when the butterflys open. My Box S was so quiet, I've had to do mods to make it sound like a sports car.

bmohr, did you install an EVO and were still disappointed, or a copy?

Edited by jmatta

cant see the allure of hearing the induction - Stick with stock

I've been an EVO user for over 2 years with absolutely ZERO MAF issues, CEL issues, or water issues......and I have driven it through a 4 hour monsoon I ran into between Boston and NJ without so much as a burp, and am not the least bit careful around the side vent when washing the car - which I do frequently.

Wow !.....:eek: "cant see the allure of hearing the induction" ? :unsure: Doesn't sound like you drive her hard enough bro ! - and that's not good for her! :P

To each his own, and I don't mean to attack, just poke a little fun - but there is nothing more inspiring than hearing that beautiful sound from one of these engines ! :thumbup:

Edited by Andy_M

Wow !.....:eek: "cant see the allure of hearing the induction" ? :unsure: Doesn't sound like you drive her hard enough bro ! - and that's not good for her! :P

To each his own, and I don't mean to attack, just poke a little fun - but there is nothing more inspiring than hearing that beautiful sound from one of these engines ! :thumbup:

Could not agree more. I have desnorkled (big improvement) and installed a BMC airfilter (small improvement). Do you know if an EVO setup would improve sound wise on this configuration?

Thanks. :)

Atle

Could not agree more. I have desnorkled (big improvement) and installed a BMC airfilter (small improvement). Do you know if an EVO setup would improve sound wise on this configuration?

Thanks. :)

Atle

Not with 100% certain because I went straight from stock intake/exhaust to EVO/headers, sport cats, and Fabspeed muffler, but I would think so.