Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What kind of metal is the clam shell hinge lever?

Hello. I recently came into a 1998 Boxster here in the U.S. Unfortunately the previous owner suffered fom a mishap caused by the stretching of the rubber drive cable housing. (Thanks to you guys for helping me get that situation corrected.) As you can see in the photos I have attached, the right hinge lever for the clam shell was a casualty in the mishap. This is part # 986 561 572.01.

Does anyone know the type of metal of which this part is cast? I'm trying to determine if it might be able to be welded. My guess is that it's either aluminum or magnesium. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim

post-42825-1241881297_thumb.jpgpost-42825-1241881323_thumb.jpg

• Admin
Hello. I recently came into a 1998 Boxster here in the U.S. Unfortunately the previous owner suffered fom a mishap caused by the stretching of the rubber drive cable housing. (Thanks to you guys for helping me get that situation corrected.) As you can see in the photos I have attached, the right hinge lever for the clam shell was a casualty in the mishap. This is part # 986 561 572.01.

Does anyone know the type of metal of which this part is cast? I'm trying to determine if it might be able to be welded. My guess is that it's either aluminum or magnesium. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim

986.561.572.01 has a US MSRP of $58.16

Chances are you can get it for much less from Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost).

Thanks for the quick responses. I know the part is not that expensive ($50) at parts.com. My father-in-law is a welder and I will be seeing him today and figured if it can easily be repaired I can save myself a few bucks. Or at least have a workable part until I get a replacement. Regarding Sunset Imports, I found them on the web at Sunset Porsche. I am in Ohio and they are in Oregon. Do they ship parts? Also, since I am a noob when it comes to Porsche, are there any other recommendations for parts suppliers outside of Sunset Imports? Thanks again.

-Tim

• Admin
Thanks for the quick responses. I know the part is not that expensive ($50) at parts.com. My father-in-law is a welder and I will be seeing him today and figured if it can easily be repaired I can save myself a few bucks. Or at least have a workable part until I get a replacement. Regarding Sunset Imports, I found them on the web at Sunset Porsche. I am in Ohio and they are in Oregon. Do they ship parts? Also, since I am a noob when it comes to Porsche, are there any other recommendations for parts suppliers outside of Sunset Imports? Thanks again.

-Tim

Yes, Sunset Imports ships parts. Just click on the link at the top center of the forum.

You won't find a better price on genuine Porsche parts - anywhere.

Tell them RennTech.org sent you.

Tim

Tim:

While you are at it, you might want to check the bushings in the two arms for excessive wear. The parts are cheap and they will improve the movement of the clamshell and its position when closed. Also lubricate them with graphite powder or lithium grease.

Regards, Maurice.

American car manufactures had a habit of using pot metal...brital. I believe Porsche would use aircraft quality aluminum just for the stress it takes. But, I hear these things break more often than not...maybe they now are using pot metal...

Tim

Tim:

While you are at it, you might want to check the bushings in the two arms for excessive wear. The parts are cheap and they will improve the movement of the clamshell and its position when closed. Also lubricate them with graphite powder or lithium grease.

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice,

:huh: What is lithium grease? I have never heard off that...

Thanks!

Phillip:

You have to start hanging out more at auto parts stores and machine shops! LOL! :P

Lithium grease is a lubricant (usually white) that sticks really well to metal, resists moisture, and does not corrode metal. It won't drip until the temperature goes over 350 degrees Farenheit. I comes in a tube, a tub, and a spray can.

It works really well to also lubricate the plastic ball cups and the metal ball cups at the ends of the pushrods, as well as the slots in which the lower ends of the clamshell arms slide back and forth.

Krytox is probably better, but it is much more expensive and lithium grease does the trick in these applications.

Regards, Maurice.