Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Member--looking at a new Boxster S from S2000

Went from Miata (NB) to S2000 (MY08) recently. Love the S2000---fun to drive but a bit too raw and nervous at the limit for me, plus the lack of low end torque got to be a bit annoying.

Been researching the Boxster S for months now and about to take a test drive (likely MY09 but maybe 08 if in good shape).

My only concern is the clutch! I have lower back problems (surgery last year) and a heavy clutch is a deal breaker. The clutch in my S2000 is so light and forgiving---not to mention I love the shifter--absolute snick-snick precision.

Can anyone comment on the clutch pedal effort on the 987 vs S2000 before I take a test drive?

What about the shifter?

Am really excited about making the swap---your answers will determine how I proceed. I considered PDK but my other car is a GTI with DSG and while is indeed faster it just doesn't have the same level of driver engagement for me.

rcman

I suppose it's hard to comment without knowing the degree of the back problem that you have. In my humble opinion, only you can decide after test driving a boxster S. The clutch effort on a boxster S is definitely more than on an S2000, RX-8, and many other japanese sports cars. Although, not as heavy as the 993, for example. I think the Boxster S' clutch pedal requires about the same effort as a 996's, if you happen to have driven one. Compared to a Ford Mustang's, Boxster S' is much lighter. I personally like the firmer clutch pedal from a porsche. It makes a driver feel more engaged. The only time I'd change my mind is on an occasional stop and go traffic jam.

About the shifter.... I'm ashamed to admit this, but I don't really like 996's and Boxster's. If you compare it to your old miata's shifter, you might be disappointed. It's not 'snick snick' like you described it. Anyone who owns one would probably agree that getting it into 2nd gear when the transmission is very cold requires some getting used to. You need to apply steady firm pressure, wait for the synchro to get up to speed, then it slides into 2nd gear smoothly. No rushing it when it's cold or you'd hear grinding.

Although, you did mention that you are looking for 2008 or 2009 model. Maybe Porsche has improved this in the newer model years.

Thanks! that's great information. I will definitely test drive but wanted to get some thoughts beforehand so I know what to expect and if the "demo" is behaving like it should since I've never owned one.

Based on your answer, maybe I shouldn't shut the PDK idea down too quickly. Plus it's it too bad they didn't follow convention with paddles.

I had to have a lumbar spinal fusion operation last year (and I'm only 35) and the screws were too long and extend beyond the vertebrae. and when I have to push against a force with my leg, esp in a sitting position I really feel it pinch--ouch!

Was not an issue at all in my S2000. My only other experience was sitting in a running '99 model boxster S (didn't drive it) and I would say that was too heavy for me to enjoy, esp as I plan to make this my DD.

So I may have to sacrifice the manual tranny to enjoy the other driving pleasures this car offers.

Thanks again---very helpful.

Given your situation I would take a Boxster over those others in a heart beat. I would get the MY09 (more bhp) with the PDK7

no clutch to worry about and fastest shifting possible especially in aggressive acceleration.

:D

I have driven many manual tranny cars the past 25+ years, and the 987 clutch is excellent! You can easily "toe" the clutch or "ankle" the clutch. You do not need to use the "leg" to engauge the clutch.

Have fun on your test drive! You will be a Porsche owner very soon.

Good health, too.

About the shifter.... I'm ashamed to admit this, but I don't really like 996's and Boxster's. If you compare it to your old miata's shifter, you might be disappointed. It's not 'snick snick' like you described it. Anyone who owns one would probably agree that getting it into 2nd gear when the transmission is very cold requires some getting used to. You need to apply steady firm pressure, wait for the synchro to get up to speed, then it slides into 2nd gear smoothly. No rushing it when it's cold or you'd hear grinding.

Although, you did mention that you are looking for 2008 or 2009 model. Maybe Porsche has improved this in the newer model years.

The 987/997 shifter is greatly improved over the 986/996 shifter. I think Porsche reduced the throw by 20-25% with the standard shifter.

Based on your answer, maybe I shouldn't shut the PDK idea down too quickly...

...was too heavy for me to enjoy, esp as I plan to make this my DD...

I own a 986 and drove a 987 - much improved clutch. However, based on your needs I would try the new technology - PDK!

I have heard wonders about it...

When I get that old (1 year from now) :-) I will also consider PDK...

Have fun, welcome to the board

Gus

Thanks! that's great information. I will definitely test drive but wanted to get some thoughts beforehand so I know what to expect and if the "demo" is behaving like it should since I've never owned one.

Based on your answer, maybe I shouldn't shut the PDK idea down too quickly. Plus it's it too bad they didn't follow convention with paddles.

I had to have a lumbar spinal fusion operation last year (and I'm only 35) and the screws were too long and extend beyond the vertebrae. and when I have to push against a force with my leg, esp in a sitting position I really feel it pinch--ouch!

Was not an issue at all in my S2000. My only other experience was sitting in a running '99 model boxster S (didn't drive it) and I would say that was too heavy for me to enjoy, esp as I plan to make this my DD.

So I may have to sacrifice the manual tranny to enjoy the other driving pleasures this car offers.

Thanks again---very helpful.

You cannot get PDK on an '08, only '09. '08 and earlier had a Tiptronic ( a 5 speed, real torque converter automatic) that is inferior in all respects to the PDK. My recommendation is to test drive an '08 manual and then decide. My '08 is def. heavier clutch than my Honda was but not too heavy to be annoying. But I do not have a bad back. Also, I recommend staying away from 19" wheels and getting PASM. The 19" wheels give you less tire sidewall and therefore are rougher riding. PASM in the regular setting is a very comfortable sports car ride. Far more comfortable than an S2000.

• 5 weeks later...

I have just gone from an S2000 to an 07 987S and also have a Miata. You will love it. I likes the S2000 but there is a difference in the stability of the handling and speed.

Went from Miata (NB) to S2000 (MY08) recently. Love the S2000---fun to drive but a bit too raw and nervous at the limit for me, plus the lack of low end torque got to be a bit annoying.

Been researching the Boxster S for months now and about to take a test drive (likely MY09 but maybe 08 if in good shape).

My only concern is the clutch! I have lower back problems (surgery last year) and a heavy clutch is a deal breaker. The clutch in my S2000 is so light and forgiving---not to mention I love the shifter--absolute snick-snick precision.

Can anyone comment on the clutch pedal effort on the 987 vs S2000 before I take a test drive?

What about the shifter?

Am really excited about making the swap---your answers will determine how I proceed. I considered PDK but my other car is a GTI with DSG and while is indeed faster it just doesn't have the same level of driver engagement for me.

rcman