Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Which would you install if cost was not a factor?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay so I have been looking around and currently have access to the following with fair pricing:

1) OEM porsche exhaust system including the sport exhaust tips

2) Borla Performance Cat-Back System with 3.5in Borla Tips

I can get them for virtually the same cost shipped to me, so my dilema is which to pick? I like the fact that you can turn on/off the sport exhaust for the quietER drive at nights and certain routes/company and the tips look good as well imo; however, the Borla gives you increased horsepower but stays on constantly and sounds quite different.

Questions to the techies on the forum, my car comes equipped with the spors chrono plus package, will the installation of the OEM sport exhaust require additional wiring to the dash for the sport button to open/close the manifold valve or is this already pre-wired with the sports chrono ?

Borla option:

post-43497-1242485487.png

post-43497-1242485494_thumb.png

Sport Exhaust option:

post-43497-1242485718_thumb.jpg

Edited by tekky

Tekky,

Your car is not 'pre-wired' for the PSE. If you were to have it installed per factory methods (ie. integrated w/ the Sport Mode Button and DME) you're looking at another $600+ for your local dealer to do it. It's a fairly labor intensive process.

Most guys (myself included) install the PSE w/ a simple on/off switch (mine is hidden in the ashtray) and wiring (+/- 12 vdc) to the solenoid that controls the vacuum to the muffler's plenum's. That too is not a simple job (might require removing seat(s), console, snaking wire harness under carpets/trim to the engine compartment, etc. etc). It takes a good 4/6 hours to get that wire harness from the passenger compartment to the motor compartment. It's not fun working inside the cabin when you're 6' tall and 200 lbs. That aside I think it's the best method for install since it lets you control the 'loudness' via a simple toggle switch and not the DME. The DME disables the PSE Loud Mode when speeds are below a certain MPH due to some German residential noise abatement law.

Now there are a lot of PSE installs that simply don't connect any of the controls or wiring. The PSE is set for loud mode all the time which may work fine for you. I chose to be able to control it depending on my situation; wife in the car, didn't want to attracted attention, parking garages, etc.

So if your handy, have time on your hands and aren't afraid to 'tear' into your car it's a very doable task for the average DIY'r. You need to be patient and careful dealing w/ interior trim pieces to avoid damage and be somewhat ambidextrous since the getting the wire harness through the cabin-to-motor grommet is not easy. Simple electrical skills are required but nothing elaborate.

Now that you've heard all this you probably have already decided to buy the Borla system. It's cheaper and much easier to install (all bolts). On the other hand it's not a Porsche OEM part (some folks think that's important) and it's 'loudness' cannot be controlled. The PSE exhaust tips are indeed unique and most Porsche affectionados recognize them right off the bat. Borla puts out a nice product (given the long development time they take) and they too have a nice distinctive tip setup. Forget the notion of increase horsepower by adding a muffler. It won't happen. The decreased weight of the Borla might offer a slight advantage.

Bottom line . . . It's a decision thats been made by many on these boards. I faced the same and decided to go w/ the PSE. I haven't regretted it.

Good Luck!

My vote is the Borla. The weight savings is significant, the installation is simpler, and the sound is outstanding. I considered both (well the PSE and Fabspeed) as well as the cross-pipe mod to the stock exhaust which is relatively modest expense. I went with the Fabspeed because I got an outstanding price on a pre-owned set and couldn't be happier. I'd have done the same with the Borla had the opportunity presented itself. Both are very high quality items and the Borla might sound even better (if that is possible) than the FS's. GL. You'll really like the results.

BTW, the fact that you can't 'quiet' the Fabspeed (or Borla's) is a non-issue to me. When I want them to be quiet (e.g. around my suburban neighborhood) I simply go light on the throttle. These types of pipes only really only open up when the throttle is opened or at high RPM. At low settings they are like little pussycats.

My vote is PSE.

Sounds great.

No drone.

PS Champion did a great job on mine. Had it about one year on my 08 and zero issues. Definiately like the ability to turn it off/on with the Sport Chrono switch. Also recomment 24mm rear stab. bar and 5mm spacers ( 18" wheels ). The car will then handle like it should, neutral!

John

Get the PSE have it hooked it up to your Sports Chrono as I did. The factory knows best!

John

Beg to differ. In this case the factory implementation of PSE via the Sports Chrono was not optimum. In fact I believe they changed the scheme on the new 2009 car to allow the driver to go loud or quiet regardless of the Sports Chrono Mode. Just the way the DIY'rs have done for years . . . . a simple on/off switch.

Why not have the sweet sound w/o the suspension harshness and modified throttle mapping S/W algorithm.

Get the PSE have it hooked it up to your Sports Chrono as I did. The factory knows best!

John

Beg to differ. In this case the factory implementation of PSE via the Sports Chrono was not optimum. In fact I believe they changed the scheme on the new 2009 car to allow the driver to go loud or quiet regardless of the Sports Chrono Mode. Just the way the DIY'rs have done for years . . . . a simple on/off switch.

Why not have the sweet sound w/o the suspension harshness and modified throttle mapping S/W algorithm.

are you saying do NOT hook it up like factory does to the "SPORT" button?

John

are you saying do NOT hook it up like factory does to the "SPORT" button?

Precisely! I thought we went through this over a week ago. Do you read the replies to your thread?

Simply do a search on the various Porsche forums under "PSE" or "PSE Switch" and you'll discover a myriad of information. All that is needed is a simple single pole single throw toggle switch that provides a +12 volt signal to the PSE solenoid. Most guys (my self included) install the switch in the ash tray comparment. Makes it easy to get to (open the ash tray cover) and it's sort of a stealth approach.

If you not a DIY type of owner then take to your car to a Porsche dealer and throw money their way. They'll be happy to hook you up just like the 'factory'.

:cheers:

Precisely! I thought we went through this over a week ago. Do you read the replies to your thread?

Simply do a search on the various Porsche forums under "PSE" or "PSE Switch" and you'll discover a myriad of information. All that is needed is a simple single pole single throw toggle switch that provides a +12 volt signal to the PSE solenoid. Most guys (my self included) install the switch in the ash tray comparment. Makes it easy to get to (open the ash tray cover) and it's sort of a stealth approach.

If you not a DIY type of owner then take to your car to a Porsche dealer and throw money their way. They'll be happy to hook you up just like the 'factory'.

AP,

a week ago is correct, that was my oversight, no need to pick me apart here thought, we're all trying to help eachother...

This is what I propose, if its doable and I can get the switch and the panel cut-out for a 5th button:

post-43497-1243036842_thumb.jpg

let me know what you think. Loren, is there a part number for that exhaust switch?

Sam

Simply do a search on the various Porsche forums under "PSE" or "PSE Switch" and you'll discover a myriad of information. All that is needed is a simple single pole single throw toggle switch that provides a +12 volt signal to the PSE solenoid. Most guys (my self included) install the switch in the ash tray compartment. Makes it easy to get to (open the ash tray cover) and it's sort of a stealth approach.

AP,

a week ago is correct, that was my oversight, no need to pick me apart here thought, we're all trying to help eachother...

This is what I propose, if its doable and I can get the switch and the panel cut-out for a 5th button:

post-43497-1243036842_thumb.jpg

let me know what you think. Loren, is there a part number for that exhaust switch?

Sam

Sam,

No offense meant.

I'm always ready to help a fellow Porsche mate.

Its just that a lot of forum users simply don't bother to search for similar threads or questions. I'm sure the Porsche switch w/ the exhaust icon will work just fine. It might be a bit more costly implementation (switch & new bezel) than a Radio Shack toggle switch. You also have to route your wiring from that point to the engine compartment. Not a big deal just more wire routing than a console implementation.

Let us know how it progresses. If I didn't mention it before you can install the mufflers first w/ the vacuum lines and do the 'on/off' switch afterwords. The actual muffler part is fairly simple. Should take you a 1/2 day at most. I did X51 headers at the same time. Figured since I was mucking w/ the mufflers the headers were just another few (6 per side if I recall) bolts.

Arnie

Edited by AP 997S

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the update,

All done, brand new PSE installed, and wired. Added a fourth button with controls (stand-alone) for the sports exhaust which took the most time since the controls do not exist and need to be wired/added but it came out clean as factory!

Here are some pics I took earlier today, I'm very happy with the sound and the fact that I don't have to be in sport mode to enjoy the roar...

Sam

post-43497-1245089026_thumb.jpg

post-43497-1245089036_thumb.jpg

post-43497-1245089042_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Sam,

How did you manage to get exhaust button so cleanly into the console front? I was looking for a facia with the whole for the button cut out but that does not seem to exist. Did you make it yourself? How?

Thanks,

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

If you want to go with all new parts, check Sunset - a sponsor here.

I snapped up a used set of mufflers and tips and bought the vacuum tube/switching pieces from Sunset. I did the install myself. Mufflers took me about an hour each without removing the bumper.

1. Lifted the rear with floorjack, put on jackstand, take off rear wheel (helps with the room needed to slide out muffler towards the front; I've been told it's doable with the wheel on, might be pushing it though)

2. Removed the 2 screws for the brace that comes down to hold the bumper in place (behind the rear wheel)

3. Loosened the clamping sleeve that connects the muffler to the cat (#15/29 in the picture, a squirt of WD40 and some time to work ahead of starting is advisable), slide it back gently towards the cat pipe

4. Undid the 3 nuts holding the muffler brace (red circle in picture, again a squirt of WD40 and give it some time to work first)

5. Gently slid the muffler off the mounting bolts and out of the cat sleeve, lowered it a bit, and extracted it towards the front and bottom of the car.

6. Finally took off the 2 bolts that hold the mounting brace in place on the muffler and swtched the brace over to the PSE muffler

Installation is the reverse. The TSB says you should use new nuts (5 per side) and sleeves.

For the tubing, valve and electrical, followed the TSB - it's on here and if you are a contributor you have access to it.

If you're looking to go the used muffler route, check out la dismantler or dcauto.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Jay

post-37870-0-86455700-1324329981_thumb.j

• Upvote 1