Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

convertible top problem

I have a 98, the top would only go down during HOT/Warm day time.

I thought I would start troubleshoot the two fuses associated with the operation of top first.

I looked around for a fuse layout diagram on the forum and couldn't find it, can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

If you pull the cover to the fuse panel, there's a booklet in there that shows which fuse is which. There's also a relay mounted under the dash right above the fuse panel. The cab top uses a double-wide relay; on my 985S, it was the only double relay there, so easy to find even though it's not labeled. (If you pull it, to verify, there may be a sticker on the side with a bunch of german words pretty clearly related to your cab top) There are a number of other things that can go wrong, too, unfortunately... Any way you can rule out any faulty interlock microswitches?

Edited by grover

I have a 98, the top would only go down during HOT/Warm day time.

I thought I would start troubleshoot the two fuses associated with the operation of top first.

I looked around for a fuse layout diagram on the forum and couldn't find it, can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

dsulu:

Location of the convertible top control module (a/k/a the top relay) is in the driver's side kick panel, in the relay tray above the fuse panel).

Start by checking your two fuses, located in the fuse panel (again, left footwell) at positions B6 and D3.

Also, pull out the convertible top control module (it's the only double relay in the location described above, third row from the bottom [bottom row is empty of relays] second from the right). Tap the relay on a flat, hard surface a couple of times (like people used to tap their packs of cigarettes in the old days) and re-install it.

Also, pull the relay on and off a couple of times, that sometimes cleans off enough corrosion on the connecting spades to make a connection. See if that yields any results.

Regards, Maurice.

I have a 99 and had the same problem during the winter and extended garage time for the Boxster. I tried all the things the other posts said and here is what I found. First, when you release the top latch do the windows go down? If they do it is probably not the relay. or the top latch microswitch. Do you notice if your parking brake light is illuminated on the dash. Mine wasn't on cold days after sitting in the garage. A few cycles on and off with the parking hand brake and the light illuminated. Top went up or down when parking brake light was illuminated. I was ready to start buying switches and relays until I looked at the idiot lights.

Edited by kenk

Hey Guys, summer's here again along with my unresolved top problem. I've fixed the cables and aligned the clamshell. The windows drop as they should when the roof latch is released and the top motor only runs with parking brake up. Problem is the convertible roof warning light on the dash stays lit and the top motor keeps running even when the clamshell is closed. It is supposed to stop automatically. This has caused a few extra snapped balljoints...I've troubleshooted all microswitches and found that the one on the convertible top motor is not working. When I open or close the top I have my wife press down on the switch to see if the top motor stops running and it doesn't. Is that a part that can be fixed or do I have to buy a whole new roof motor assembly? Does it sound like the correct solution? The car is a '98 2.5l tip-tronic...any ideas?

Hey Guys, summer's here again along with my unresolved top problem. I've fixed the cables and aligned the clamshell. The windows drop as they should when the roof latch is released and the top motor only runs with parking brake up. Problem is the convertible roof warning light on the dash stays lit and the top motor keeps running even when the clamshell is closed. It is supposed to stop automatically. This has caused a few extra snapped balljoints...I've troubleshooted all microswitches and found that the one on the convertible top motor is not working. When I open or close the top I have my wife press down on the switch to see if the top motor stops running and it doesn't. Is that a part that can be fixed or do I have to buy a whole new roof motor assembly? Does it sound like the correct solution? The car is a '98 2.5l tip-tronic...any ideas?

Goose:

You can buy the microwitch separately from the top motor. It comes as an assembly with the lever attached, however, it may not solve the problem completely.

Do a search here, and you'll find a couple of "hacks" that sometimes get around this problem. One involves attaching a spring to the underside of the clamshell, and the other involves adhering 1/4" thick blocks or strips of rigid foam successively to the underside of the clamshell. The concept for both is to trip the lever a little earlier so as to "fool" the relay into thinking that the clamshell is further along its closing cycle than it actually is and to thus have the light go off (and power to the electric motor cut off at the same time). I posted the foam blocks solution recently, but can't find the thread.

I have tried the foam blocks in the past and was able to get the light to go off, but only on the top open cycle (i.e., not when the top is closed).

You might want to try that before you replace the microswitch/lever assembly.

Regards, Maurice.