Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Another Engine Failure -- I need advise badly !

My MY03 996 C2 engine failed two days ago. It was the intermediate shaft problem. I know it is part of the experience you have to deal with with Porsche, but I didn't think it happened to such a low miles car (23K only). Now I really need your help-- can someone PM me about how to get Porsche to cover some cost as goodwill?? (if they have goodwill at all :( )

Thanks in advance ....

I'm sorry to hear about your engine. Mine failed a well so I feel your pain. Start by doing a search here on "engine failure" and you will find a lot of useful information. I'm afraid you have very little chance of Porsche having any "goodwill".

I'm in Pasadena. I'll PM you later with some other info.

Good luck

Edited by phillipj

There is now an option to rebuild it, but given the cost, unless you live near ATL, I'd go for the reman from Porsche option since it includes a 2 year factory backed warranty and you know it's factory fresh.

This really sux. Low mileage 911s are not as desireable, in my eyes, than one that's been run regularly. Cars are built to be driven. Good luck.

what you rather have: a 8 year old car with 21,000 miles or one with 108,000 miles... LOL!

Garage queens are not a safe bet. too bad that perception is just the opposite.

anyway... if you got your car from a Porsche dealership, you can work something out...

joel

Well, this is not actually a garage queen. I drive it everyday. Maybe my home to office is too close, I can only add up -5K miles a year.

The engine light never came up. No warning, just died. I have it checked by dealer, they said this problem is "VERY" common for 996. they think Porshe should recall the engine, but they never will.

As we pay so much for the car, we should enjoy more than worry. I was lucky the car didn't die on the road. Otherwise, I will have more trouble.

I know the chance to get some "goodwill" is very slim, especially from the most "profitable" automaker (now I wonder why). To try is the only hope to get this bad feeling away (at least for me).

Edited by PorscheFan

The dealer that imported the car is most likely to work with you.

I was the second owner of my 2000 C2 Cab. I didn't buy it from a dealer, but I always had it serviced there. When I had the intermix problem, they looked it up, and found out that they had imported the car originally. They worked with porsche and decided to cover the re-man engine. I paid only $2k for some of the labor.

Good luck! Goodwill is out there... Don't give up without a fight!

Seems like a good deal on this engine if the description is true. However, remember that if you have to replace the valve cover you have to replace the head too. The head and cover are line bored for the journals that hold the cams so they are matched pairs.