Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removal or rearview mirror from button on windshield?

slant83

I'm in the process of replacing my aging rearview mirror on on my 83 911sc. Is there any trick to removing the mirror from the button on the windshield (mirror removal tool or just tap off) or should I just scrape the whole thing off and attach the new one (OEM) with came with the button already attached with mirror adhesive??

Edited by slant83

I'm in the process of replacing my aging rearview mirror on on my 83 911sc. Is there any trick to removing the mirror from the button on the windshield (mirror removal tool or just tap off) or should I just scrape the whole thing off and attach the new one (OEM) with came with the button already attached with mirror adhesive??

I checked my Bentley Manual for our '86 and could not find any reference to rearview mirror replacement.

Perhaps other manuals will cover this subject.

However, I would not tap anything on your winshield.

Good luck.

Check with a glass shop. I understand they use a fishing line type tool. Dental floss or fishing line might do it. Might need to apply some heat from a hair dryer or heat gun.

With my 70 911 I just parked it in the sune and waited for it to fall off.

Check with a glass shop. I understand they use a fishing line type tool. Dental floss or fishing line might do it. Might need to apply some heat from a hair dryer or heat gun.

That's one option. I guess the general question is there some kind of release from the mirror to the button on the windshield or does it slide up and off. I'm fearful of cracking the windshield since there is resistance to the slide off method. Ford uses a mirror release tool but I don't think it is used on Porsche. If I can't figure it out, I'll just remove the whole mirror and button from the glass and attach my new (used OEM) one with quality permatex mirror adhesive.

That's one option. I guess the general question is there some kind of release from the mirror to the button on the windshield or does it slide up and off. I'm fearful of cracking the windshield since there is resistance to the slide off method. Ford uses a mirror release tool but I don't think it is used on Porsche. If I can't figure it out, I'll just remove the whole mirror and button from the glass and attach my new (used OEM) one with quality permatex mirror adhesive.

Once you get it down to just the button -- I was able to pop it off using a paint/wall scraper. I tried twisting it like many folks say and

I about broke my socket, and it didn't budge. Came off so easy with the scraper by putting it at the edge of the button and the glass

and tapping on it with a mallet. Doesn't "feel" too good to do that -- btu worked nicely with maybe 3 medium taps.

Good luck with it.

m

Edited by txhokie4life

I think I misunderstood. Thought you wanted to get the "button" off. Is the new mirror attached to its own button? Examine it for a set screw. Test fit new mirror and its base to determine how old one was attached.

If replacement mirror is OEM it should fit the existing button. SW in the factory manual IIRC for "should work."

My 914 mirror attaches to the base with a set screw. Memory fails me on how my old 911 mirror attached to base, but the 914 base is the same trapezoid about an inch or so wide at the wide part.

If installing new button it is best to glue (if that is how the button attached to the glass) or use OEM sticky pad in my case with mirror separated from base. Then you can tape the base in place until it sets up well. Then add mirror, and voila - you have rear view!

Just a final update....the new mirror came with a button already attached (bought it used) so the easiest thing to do was scrape the old mirror off and attach the new mirror with permatex mirror adhesive and job done !!!

A footnote...the button in theory should slide up and off but it was firmly attached to the replacement mirror. I would assume removing the mirror off the button while on the glass is just inviting a broken windshield or the mirror would just fly off the windshield it I tapped it hard enough

• 1 year later...

Hi slant83, I am sorry I don't know about removing the mirror button but I have seen my friends reinstalled his mirrors a a few times.The glue specifically designed for this seems to work good -sometimes. I don't know how it decides to work well or not. It seems that is has nothing to do with the installation though.

The best thing he had found is silicone sealer/gasket maker. Make sure clean the windowshiled with rubbing alcohol first. You can get blue, red, black, clear, maybe others. When the car was finally on its way to the junkyard, he removed the windshield. Some time later he needed therear view mirror button for another ride and ended up breaking the windshield trying to remove it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks 70sixter!! My new (old stock used) mirror arrives Saturday and I'll let everyone know what's up

When it arrives jsut toss it into the trash bin and go to ebay and buy a donnelly rear view mirror with right and left map lights included.