Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Factroy Specifications for Wheel Alignment

Hi,

Is there anywhere I can find out the factory specifications for the standard Boxster 987 (2006) Wheel Alignment?

I need to do an alignment for my car, however my car is no longer the factory standard as I had the following items changed -

- Eibach Pro Kit

- 19" Carrera S Wheels

- H&R 7mm/14mm Spacers

Will it be possible to get my car to the factory standard specs without having to change any of my items?

How do I let the guy at the alignment shop know since he does not have the software details of my car alignemnt specs?

One more thing, I heard from some guys that it's better to sit in the car whilst doing the alignment, and if possible fill up the tank too. How does that affect the alignment, if it affects at all.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Porsche 4 wheel alignments are calculated with FULL fuel tank and NOBODY in the car, the standard specifications are not always feasible with modified suspensions, compromises have to find if it is the case.

thanks for your advice. given that the guy at the alignment shop doesn't have any clue on what specifications for my car with the modified parts, could you or anyone give me an idea of what the specifications should be roughly like? could I take it from the specifications for Cayman instead? Our cars drive with the steering wheel on the right hand side, will it be of any difference from the left hand ones ? thanks

• Admin
thanks for your advice. given that the guy at the alignment shop doesn't have any clue on what specifications for my car with the modified parts, could you or anyone give me an idea of what the specifications should be roughly like? could I take it from the specifications for Cayman instead? Our cars drive with the steering wheel on the right hand side, will it be of any difference from the left hand ones ? thanks

From the service manual on wheel alignment:

"The following values relate to the empty weight, i.e. full fuel tank, vehicle with spare wheel/collapsible wheel and tools, but without driver and without additional weights!"

There is no difference between aligning a LHD car and a RHD car.

Porsche does not have any specs for 3rd party suspension parts - the owner is on their own on this.

thanks Loren

i just needed some figures from anyone who has a similar set up so that it could serve me as a guide as to what I can expect from the alignment to give my car the optimum handling and minimum uneven wear on the tires.

• 7 months later...

The settings are different depending if the car has PASM (lower ride height) 17, 18 or 19 inch wheels and spacers etc.

The camber , toe and castor are guidelines , so its not to say you need to follow them. A good alignment shop will know the amount of camber to put on a normal road car to prevent excessive inner shoulder wear of the tyre. The "toe in" on both the front and rear is also dependant on how much grip is required and the traits of road you drive on (motorways or twisaty side roads, race circuits etc). I have some data for my own 987S (MY2005) I can post up, but its only a guide. Lower front and rear springs will also alter the caster on the front , so the toe and camber may need corresponding adjustment .