Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine/DME differences for Cayman S/Boxster S?

• Admin

They are the same physical units (DME 7.8.x)- but the programming is likely different for different size engines.

Hmm... maybe Todd knows for sure but he newer DME's are expecting input from other devices that a 9x6 series car does not have.

i've been digging around haven't found what I need yet.

reason I am asking is I can get my hands on a 3.4S Cayman engine.. and wanted to know what the possibilities are.....

I thought the 7.8s allowed a more advanced vario cam .. so that a 2007 engine would not be stimated properly with am earlier

dme.... maybe that is only 997 engines??? not 987s...

that being said ... I wonder if the 2007 would run well enough if using and earlier dme....

thx for the help

i'll keep surfing....

m

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm interested since I have a 2009 Boxster S and would be interested in knowing if the only difference between the Cayman S and Boxster S is either marketing and/or software or actually something physical. Can I just unlock the extra 10 HP some place?

• 2 months later...

If you look at the parts catalogue , the differences appear only to be on the rear silencers , though I have heard stories of people having the RS60 ECU setting put in a 3.4 to give 303 versus the standard 295 hp. The boxster and cayman "sport" models with aerokits etc had the same bhp figures. On the newer dfi cars, I,m not sure where the parts are different or if its done in the ECU alone.

• 2 months later...

Little late to the party.. but... here is a 2001 Boxster I installed a 3.4 CaymanS engine into. We tuned it on Friday to 291lb ft of tq and 347hp and did a shake down run at El Toro this past weekend where we eeked out 2nd car overall for TTOD (not bad for a shake down ..LOL) 5 speed 2.7 tranny with NO LSD (yet) and all new JRZ double adjustable remote canister shocks/control arms/blah blah..

I now know why Todd keeps all the info about these conversions *quiet* It can be VERY time consuming and difficult depending on which chassis and which engine you start with

My professional suggestion? Start with an 02 and up car. Start with an 00-or 01 car and you will quickly figure out why I suggest the 02 and up chassis' !!! :)

Oh.. and don't believe 98% of what you read online. Rarely do I run across a conversion car that actually runs correctly and does what it should (and I travel nationwide for pro racing and PCA club racing events)

B