Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Navigation install guide needed

Hi,

I tried to search multiple forums but did not found a comprehensive guide that could help me to identify how to proceed with this task.

I have 2006 997 C2. No CD changer, no BOSE. I assume it has PCM 2.1.

Main+Trip button on my PCM shows this:

Sw versions 4.0

System software

Target: 05462ad1/4605

Pcm

Target 05395bd1/4505

So my assumption is to make navigation work all I need is to add DVD unit and GPS sensor. I sent question to Porsche service manager I know about parts numbers but he found codes for entire kits that include master PCM units.

So could anybody confirm - do I need or do I not need to replace master PCM unit?

If not, how to determine without taking PCM unit out what part number is it and what DVD part number I need for it?

Should it be horizontal or vertical? Could anybody with access to catalog help me to identify all that? My chassis from VIN is

9966S717370

I found links to

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/pdf/e...USA_KATALOG.pdf

but they do not work anymore. Can anybody help me please?

PS.

I found this web page

http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/997-05-08/911-00.htm

and it is helpful but again opens simple question - how to find out what do I have now? Is the only way to find out - to pull PCM unit out?

Edited by utkinpol

Based on my wee bit of PCM/NAV work I don't think you'll need to replace your PCM hardware. You'll need the NAV DVD unit, NAV DVD disc, possibly a PCM S/W upgrade and of course the NAV antenna, MOST (fiber optic cable) connector in order to get the NAV system into your fiber optic ring. I suspect you current PCM has a input for the antenna and any other connection required for NAV to function. You should have a 12v power connector the NAV unit located on the driver side (left) behind the plastic panel adjacent to the battery.

I've updated my PCM and NAV software plus installed a Dension Gateway so I'm somewhat (far from an expert) 'familiar' w/ the integration of another device on the 'ring. You might have to have a Porsche dealer via their PWIS activate (recognize) the NAV unit after you're done.

If your current PCM unit has buttons for 'NAV' it should be ready to go.

Good luck . . . Keep us posted on your progress.

If your current PCM unit has buttons for 'NAV' it should be ready to go.

Good luck . . . Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks, will do. I assume now all I need is to get DVD drive 997 642 157 00. Plus sensor and wiring.

Will try to find it somewhere.

• 5 weeks later...
eBay has them listed occasionally. Just be sure it's the proper one and that it contains all the periphery stuff.

I gave up and picked new kit from sunset for $2395. Pricey, not sure if was worth it.

Edited by avmike

• 2 months later...