Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So guy's the time is near,

europe is calling Dublin to Poland in 4 weeks & 4381 miles.

996 is looking sweet and driving sweet, got a major very major service done,

everything I cloud think off even stuff that really did not need doing.

But now I have a very bad Exhaust Noise:(flutter/rattle sound at low rev’s from driver’s side exhaust. maybe loose muffler)

it was there from when I first got the car, but was was not that bad. now it's louder?

So heres the thing....

My indy say's we can put the mufflers on from a 996 which is in a scrap yard with front end fire damage but engine is fine?

to see if it is the muffler if so happy days. I don't really like the idea of this 1. because my exhaust is a sports one very deep.

2. what possible damage cloud the scrap yard one have? not to mention the sound.

What would you guys do should I just take the scrap yard swap? or just buy a nice new Design Tex muffler from www.design911.co.uk

free from any possible problems?

This I know is a stupid question but I running out of time, and am really stuck?

these are the mufflers available from the site.

post-26847-1248689098_thumb.png

Exhaust Muffler / Silencer Sport Super Sound Porsche 996

Code: 99622010123

Exhaust Muffler / Silencer Sport Super Sound

DesignTek Sports SUPER SOUND exhaust made from High Grade stainless steel. Price: €802.40

or

post-26847-1248689379_thumb.png

Exhaust Muffler / Silencer Sport OE Style. Porsche 996

Code: 99622096330S

Replacement Rear sport exhaust set OE style. Polished stainless steel. With TUV/EEC approval.

Made by DANSK Price: €772.06

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Loren,

(sorry forgot this info)

My car is a 2001 C4 cab, 3.4 liter.

I'm more now thinking a new muffler is the way to go & not a 2nd-hand one with unknown potential problems?

I just have to now get it next day delivery form the UK to Ireland in time, I leave in 6 days on vacation.

How long does it take to install the a new muffler system on the 996?

Many thanks.

I think you should do the Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes. It will sounds really badass......although I haven't done mine yet

So guy's the time is near,

europe is calling Dublin to Poland in 4 weeks & 4381 miles.

996 is looking sweet and driving sweet, got a major very major service done,

everything I cloud think off even stuff that really did not need doing.

But now I have a very bad Exhaust Noise:(flutter/rattle sound at low rev’s from driver’s side exhaust. maybe loose muffler)

it was there from when I first got the car, but was was not that bad. now it's louder?

So heres the thing....

My indy say's we can put the mufflers on from a 996 which is in a scrap yard with front end fire damage but engine is fine?

to see if it is the muffler if so happy days. I don't really like the idea of this 1. because my exhaust is a sports one very deep.

2. what possible damage cloud the scrap yard one have? not to mention the sound.

What would you guys do should I just take the scrap yard swap? or just buy a nice new Design Tex muffler from www.design911.co.uk

free from any possible problems?

This I know is a stupid question but I running out of time, and am really stuck?

these are the mufflers available from the site.

post-26847-1248689098_thumb.png

Exhaust Muffler / Silencer Sport Super Sound Porsche 996

Code: 99622010123

Exhaust Muffler / Silencer Sport Super Sound

DesignTek Sports SUPER SOUND exhaust made from High Grade stainless steel. Price: €802.40

or

post-26847-1248689379_thumb.png

Exhaust Muffler / Silencer Sport OE Style. Porsche 996

Code: 99622096330S

Replacement Rear sport exhaust set OE style. Polished stainless steel. With TUV/EEC approval.

Made by DANSK Price: €772.06

Thanks in advance.

IF the specs are okay, like Loren said, I say go for the new muffler. If you go to all the work on the old muffler from the junkyard you will probably will switch it out sooner than later. Install on a new muffler is not a terrible job and can be done in 1-3 hours. Just make sure that you get all the fasteners the hook up the old muffler to the catalytic converter. They do make some quick snap on type fasteners that may make the job easier. Also try to get a buddy to help you hold the muffler while puttting in place, they helps a lot. I am sure there is a DIY on the RennTech forum that will help too.

Thanks Loren,

(sorry forgot this info)

My car is a 2001 C4 cab, 3.4 liter.

I'm more now thinking a new muffler is the way to go & not a 2nd-hand one with unknown potential problems?

I just have to now get it next day delivery form the UK to Ireland in time, I leave in 6 days on vacation.

How long does it take to install the a new muffler system on the 996?

Many thanks.

Hey James,

If you decide to change the mufflers, do let us know how it sounds. I too have been looking at the offerings from Design911, been considering both those mufflers (DesingTek and Dansk OE Sport) but haven't decided which one either. But for me, there's no real need yet, maybe in a couple of months. I haven't been able to find any reviews on DesignTek products though.

Well guys the story so far.

I talked to my indy today,

And well it's not good, the noise is still there.

I did not change my muffler after all, because my indy though it was my catalytic converter,

as he found a lose piece of converter in the muffler? so he replaced just the converter with the converter from the 996 in the junk yard !

And No difference....

I think if I found the problem sooner I would have changed the the whole exhaust system. But for now I will just have to live with it.

I think it must be the muffler, rattle/flutter at low speed in between 10/20 mph more noticeable in 2nd gear when foot is off the accelerator?

Hey 996noob, I think the DesingTek might sound more aggressive and Dansk OE Sport more standard but I'm just judging by the look's,

I really wanted to post a video on youtube when I did the change. either way i'll keep you posted.

• Moderators
Well guys the story so far.

I talked to my indy today,

And well it's not good, the noise is still there.

I did not change my muffler after all, because my indy though it was my catalytic converter,

as he found a lose piece of converter in the muffler? so he replaced just the converter with the converter from the 996 in the junk yard !

And No difference....

I think if I found the problem sooner I would have changed the the whole exhaust system. But for now I will just have to live with it.

If a piece of the catalytic converter honeycomb got blown deep into the muffler can and is stuck on something, that could very well be your rattle. Short of getting the piece out of the muffler, you are stuck to get another muffler. If there is a piece of honeycomb lodged in the muffler intake pipe, and it suddenly gets in just the right position to block the exhaust flow, you could be in for some serious damage to the cats, header, and even to the head gasket. For sure you will blow open the cat on that side.

Well Guys,

BIG change of plan, on Thursday I made the order of not just the muffler's but the whole exhaust system.

After all I got them in time :rolleyes: Orient Express your comment scared me :D

Sports Exhaust Package (+18 to 27 bhp) Porsche 996 C2 / C4

Code: EXHAUSTKIT96

Sports Exhaust + Headers + 200 Cell Sports Cats Package (+20 to 27bhp)

DesignTek 996 Stage 1 Performance package. High Grade stainless steel exhaust system for Porsche 996 1998-2004. 14 - 16 gauge T304 stainless steel.

Includes sports mufflers, Equal length headers, 200 cell sports cats and fitting kit, giving +18 to +27 bhp that you can really feel and superb sports car sound.€2,106.30

post-26847-1249254343_thumb.png

The sound! on start up it's not as aggressive as my old OE exhaust? it's deep on idle, it's in the mid range it's more noticeable

it's a sharp grunt more high pitch! You cant definitely feel the power increase, also the car feel's more solid on idle,

(Odd to say this but it's like it has a new set of lungs & is breathing more freely) Also it's strange but the whole system is like half the size of the old, it's pretty small??? the cat's are half in size & muffler's a 3rd the size of the OE one's...

hey 996noob I will post a video on YouTube asap, when I make a good quality audio video of them.

So in about 12 hours I go on a ferry over night to continental europe for a 4 week 3695 mile (from Ireland to Poland & back) drive,

we even go to the porsche museum.

So I'll try to keep in touch with you all, on the car's progress B)

Edited by JamesD

Well Guys,

BIG change of plan, on Thursday I made the order of not just the muffler's but the whole exhaust system.

After all I got them in time :rolleyes: Orient Express your comment scared me :D

Sports Exhaust Package (+18 to 27 bhp) Porsche 996 C2 / C4

Code: EXHAUSTKIT96

Sports Exhaust + Headers + 200 Cell Sports Cats Package (+20 to 27bhp)

DesignTek 996 Stage 1 Performance package. High Grade stainless steel exhaust system for Porsche 996 1998-2004. 14 - 16 gauge T304 stainless steel.

Includes sports mufflers, Equal length headers, 200 cell sports cats and fitting kit, giving +18 to +27 bhp that you can really feel and superb sports car sound.€2,106.30

post-26847-1249254343_thumb.png

The sound! on start up it's not as aggressive as my old OE exhaust? it's deep on idle, it's in the mid range it's more noticeable

it's a sharp grunt more high pitch! You cant definitely feel the power increase, also the car feel's more solid on idle,

(Odd to say this but it's like it has a new set of lungs & is breathing more freely) Also it's strange but the whole system is like half the size of the old, it's pretty small??? the cat's are half in size & muffler's a 3rd the size of the OE one's...

hey 996noob I will post a video on YouTube asap, when I make a good quality audio video of them.

So in about 12 hours I go on a ferry over night to continental europe for a 4 week 3695 mile (from Ireland to Poland & back) drive,

we even go to the porsche museum.

So I'll try to keep in touch with you all, on the car's progress B)

Wow, that's a major change!

Do let make the video clips for us. I have been considering this system too.

Are the Mufflers themselves, light weight or heavy, solid and dense? Did all the bits look exactly as pictured, or different? Sometimes internet retailers may use a picture that varies from the actual product.

We look forward to more review on the system. Enjoy!

996noob,

The muffler's are very light & dense (you can lift w/one hand) & look's exactly like it does in the picture with a cool DK logo on the each cat.

Right guy's I have to go now, I have to catch a boat oh & pack :)

Chat to you all in about 4 weeks. or sooner if I have a laptop to hand.

Got to keep the space & weight to a min for the car's & my stomach's sake :)

Caio

• 2 weeks later...

TRIP UPDATE:

MILAGE:2350 mile's so far.

Well 3 hour's of the boat in France my new exhaust blowed out on me I cloud not belive it #*#*#

drove to a local garage turned out tobe 1 of the blank's (a bolt that covers) the oxgine sensor plug hole (on the left cat)

unscrewed itself and just fell out on the highway (in 5th gear on a step hill) the noise was horribble & loud like a chopper gone wrong.

The garage pluged the hole with a blot similer to the right side cat. & cost 20euro to fix.

So 5 days later when in Switzerland same thing happed this time on the other right hand side cat, on a sunday, so I had to drive to Germany

(with this noise again)

stopped off for one night in a town a 1 hour drive away from Stuttgart (handy) went to a Porsche garage I knew exactly what it was I even took a picture to show them the hole, they pluged it with an old oxgine sensor plug cost 30euro to fix.

After all this I called Design911 UK to tell them, they have never heard of this happing they suggest I cover the blank cap's with Lock-All paste to secure them in place, but still I should not have to.

My 2001 996 is a 3.4L 6sp C4 cab. the DesignTek cat system has 4 oxgine sensor plugs, 2 of the plugs come with these's blank cover's (little blot's)

I guess with a mix of speed+engine viberation+heat the blot's just unscrewed themself's not cool...

The exhaust system sound's ok now but I have noticed after the whole trip it's gotting more lose it's not so crisp, a little rough?

Anyone any idea's on this one.

Thanks all.

Edited by JamesD